+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Pies really football fans?

Are Pies really football fans?

Unless it passed me by there hasn't been anything on here but a passing reference to the women's World Cup currently taking place in the antipodes.
    Now why is that?
    This board is largely male-dominated and with it comes a male chauvinistic attitude to the great game. Football is seen on here as a man's game because men are tough, fast and resilient, so represent the game at its truest, seems to be implicit by such negativity towards the women's game on MAD.
    Yet the women have shown during this tournament that they are brave, tactically astute, physically strong, sporting, accepting of decisions and exhibiting far less gamesmanship than their male equivalents.
    A fascinating conjecture is how Notts would fare against the current England side (with female officials, of course).
    How many posters on here have followed the women's world cup and why hasn't it spawned a dialogue on MAD - after all there have been many points of interest and contention.

Are Notts fans on here MCPs?

Unless it passed me by there hasn't been anything on here but a passing reference to the women's World Cup currently taking place in the antipodes.
    Now why is that?
    This board is largely male-dominated and with it comes a male chauvinistic attitude to the great game. Football is seen on here as a man's game because men are tough, fast and resilient, so represent the game at its truest, seems to be implicit by such negativity towards the women's game on MAD.
    Yet the women have shown during this tournament that they are brave, tactically astute, physically strong, sporting, accepting of decisions and exhibiting far less gamesmanship than their male equivalents.
    A fascinating conjecture is how Notts would fare against the current England side (with female officials, of course).
    How many posters on here have followed the women's world cup and why hasn't it spawned a dialogue on MAD - after all there have been many points of interest and contention.

I have no idea what's happening in the women's World Cup. Couldn't care less to be honest. You can say that's 'chauvinistic' if you want, but I'm free to choose what I want to watch. I wish them well, and I think it's great that more and more girls and women are enjoying football at all levels. But I have zero interest in watching it myself.

Notts takes up 99% of my footballing interest. I used follow what was happening in the Prem and major European competitions, but I just don't care anymore. Haven't seen a top-level match in years. I don't even know who half the players are. I am infinitely more interested by what's happening in L2 or the NL than I am in the Champions League or World Cup.

As for your conjecture: Notts would hammer the England women's team. Any men's professional football club would.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 14-08-2023 at 11:00 AM.

You could easily have started a good positive thread if you wanted to. Re read your post whilst looking in the mirror 😆

[Threads merged]

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Now why is that?
    Good grief, what an absolute pile of self righteous cr@p, get over your self.

Quote Originally Posted by SongBird View Post
    You could easily have started a good positive thread if you wanted to. Re read your post whilst looking in the mirror 😆
    He did, that's why it got posted twice - a reflection.

The problem with the women's game is when compared to the men's game, it just isn't as exciting.

This isn't anything the women can fix as it stands and it isn't their fault. Generally a woman isn't going to be as fast or strong as their male counterparts and are also smaller. This means the football will be slower and less blood and thunder as the male game, and with women being smaller and the same sized goals, it leads to the ***ist trope if bad female keepers when in fact they have more goal to cover in comparison to their size.

I'd like to see changes to the women's game, and unlike Sepp Blatter, it isn't wearing bikinis or whatever else he came up with!

I'd like to see smaller goals (in proportion to the men's) and smaller pitches, this would take away the obvious differences between the two and I think it would help engage fans more for it.

Not interested in women's football, or Premiership for that matter. I am a Notts supporter , not a football fan.

I've caught a few games. Yes, it's been really good.

But take an avid or active interest?
    Following sport too much is a problem - there are other things in life deserving of our attention.
    There are football competitions I've lost track of over the years that I'd like to rekindle interest in, but there just isn't the time or the head space.

When relatively new competitions come along, and most women's football would fall into that category, there just isn't the head space to get into them, with so many other things stacked up making claims for your attention.

New competitions/sports can't just demand or insist on your attention, they've got to earn it and compete with so many other things. I wish women's football all the very best, but I'm unlikely to take any more than a cursory, passing interest for the reason I've given above.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast