+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Worst atmosphere in Championship

Wendy fans I know,say that their ground is the worst for being so quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    According to this:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/al...o-best-ranked/

Got to agree I am sorry to say.

But I came to the conclusion that Rotherham folk are just not that into their football .
    ibs mi owd. Do us all a favour and show us your caring side for the Millers and post a positive post we can all enjoy and reply to with glee.
    I feel deep down you're not just a piss taker and have a lot more to offer. Or, am I wrong and it's the devil in you that prompts you to gain bites to boost your ego that gives you a lift?

We could all post something that gets others to bite at and respond sometimes with vitriol but I'll think you'll find others are better than that.

I do think NY is pale cf Millmoor but it was the Tivoli that set the pace there with its standing area. Also NY is lovely and airy - but Millmoor was very enclosed like a canyon and this created a cauldron atmosphere.
    I remember shouting to a linesman at NY 'bring yer mobility scooter up here and sit next to me' ... and he looked up and burst out laughing.
    I keep me gob shut now....

What songs will it take for all stands to join in?
    The Cafu song is starting to be sung more, but is it catchy enough.
    At least with Cheio and Wiles gone, we no longer have to listen to he's one of our, one of our, one of our own, slowly drone out.
    Do we need something short with a beat, like the Matt Olusundae song, which Newcastle use a version of for Tonali.

Just testing what swear words i can say on here and get away with *******s **** **** **** **** ****er knob cheese arse tit balls

...but not v i t a l

this from Proper Football post on facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...88465953545468
    see article above for comments etc...

"Rattles, Air horns and Singing Sections.

We had a rant little rant about the lack of atmosphere at many Premier League grounds after Harry Kane's recent comments about the Bundesliga in comparison to the self-proclaimed best League in the world,!

There was a general consensus for the many reasons, the sanitisation and sterile atmosphere because of overzealous restrictions, the club's focus on the corporate sector, genuine fans being outpriced with football tourists happy to pay over the odds to ultimately attend the game to take photos and videos and have no invested interest in the teams and matches moved to ridiculous kick-off times with only a few weeks notice.

But the biggest factor for us and many of you who commented was the implementation of all-seater stadia following the Taylor Report in 1990, yes, changes were needed after the tragedy at Hillsborough albeit the Taylor Report found that the main reason for the disaster was the failure of police control.

It recommended that all major stadiums convert to an all-seater model and that all ticketed spectators should have seats, as opposed to some or all being obliged to stand, The report also stated that standing accommodation was not intrinsically unsafe, but the government, nonetheless, decided that no standing accommodation should be allowed.

The one great thing about the old grounds was we all knew our place, if you wanted to sit you had that choice, if you wanted to stand and sing your heart out you went in with all the singers where it was a bit more raucous and rowdy, If you wanted to stand and just absorb the game while sipping a 200° hot Bovril or devour a pie with no fear of getting pushed in the back you went on that particular terrace with like-minded supporters, many grounds had family stands as well which to be fair can also be found in modern stadia now.

But when all the seats came in everyone was displaced, the famous old singing sections were gone, people now sipping their lattes were complaining about those standing and singing and parents with young kids complaining about the sweary language to the stewards, the singers were in different parts of the ground or different parts of the same stand separated from their football choir.

In days long ago and before many of us were around the rattle was the order of the day at football on the terraces,

The rattle was derived from when they were used to warn of poison gas attacks in the trenches of the First World War and in WW2 when it was issued to Policeman and APR wardens to warn of the presence of piousness gas, proceeding that it was used in the 18th and 19th centuries when a policeman's rattle was used to summon assistance and it also had variants used in classical music and different parts of the world, it was even found in Judaism and known as The Gragger and used every time Haman's name is mentioned during the reading of the Megillah because Haman persecuted the Jews snd the noise is supposed to symbolically drown out his name.

That's the end of the history lesson ���� and it was also the 70s that saw an end to the rattle at football after it was banned through fear of it being used as a weapon albeit it was already going out of fashion.

The Air Horn is a memory that many of us can relate to at football in the 70s and 80s to get the chants going but that has also been banned although I did hear one give off a quick blast at Carlisle recently that brought a welcome cheer!

Fast forward to today and yes, as we mentioned previously there are a handful of Premier League stadiums that are rocking, you'll always get the newly promoted teams getting behind their sides facing the Goliaths and trying to be that 12th man and there are clubs like Palace and latterly Arsenal who have these Ultra groups who work with the clubs to get seated in the same areas to create an atmosphere and bang their drums, these groups aren't everyone's cup of tea and neither is the drum! There are also pyros which are a contentious issue but they are meant to be banned anyway.

Safe standing, singing sections and a place in the ground where you know you belong with likeminded fans looking for the same match expieriance has got to be the only way forward, Clubs need to do more to accommodate this and interact with their fan base, but as many of us know, this is easier said than done.

Let us know where you used to stand in the days before all-seater stadiums at your ground. See less"

I retired from singing when I won the kop choir trophy. Oddly enough, I just go to watch the football.

I blame the younger generation [always popular on here],it's the young people that do most of the singing, so it's their fault.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234