+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at!

Looking at!

I'm getting sick and tired of reading Leeds are "looking at" this striker or this midfielder, looking at, looking at, they need to be signing, and bl##dy quick, where is the Premier league parachute payment, coupled with the rodrigo and Adams money, plus the millions saved in wages? Others are buying players, no fannying about, pay and move on, why does any transfer we do seem drawn out (what happened to Nat Phillips from Liverpool who was on the verge of signing, supposedly, or Glen kamara, supposedly) and why does it always have to be on loan? I don't understand this ffp business, I thought the basis was you can't spend more than you bring in, although you can have a minus each season, again it seems others can work to this rule but we can't, this club really pi##es me off.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    I'm getting sick and tired of reading Leeds are "looking at" this striker or this midfielder, looking at, looking at, they need to be signing, and bl##dy quick, where is the Premier league parachute payment, coupled with the rodrigo and Adams money, plus the millions saved in wages? Others are buying players, no fannying about, pay and move on, why does any transfer we do seem drawn out (what happened to Nat Phillips from Liverpool who was on the verge of signing, supposedly, or Glen kamara, supposedly) and why does it always have to be on loan? I don't understand this ffp business, I thought the basis was you can't spend more than you bring in, although you can have a minus each season, again it seems others can work to this rule but we can't, this club really pi##es me off.
    Look who is doing the looking (or more accurately, NOT looking, as their attention right now is elsewhere).

https://www.49ers.com/team/front-off...paraag-marathe

Extract from above;

"Paraag Marathe is in his 23rd year with the 49ers, currently serving as both President of 49ers Enterprises & Executive Vice President of Football Operations.". That "EVP of Football Operations" refers to the 49-ers NOT LUFC, and the 49-ers are valued at just over $5 BILLION, so where do you think his and most other executives attention is focussed right now, mid-way through the NFL pre-season games?

Kinnear clearly doesn't have sign-off capacity so all such matters go up the chain of commend, and sit there until the great and the good can spare the time to address them.

So my post a while back about "who's in charge" (meaning who has final say in important desicions like buying new players) rules kinnear out then.

And as if by magic yet another player we were "looking at" (Brandon Williams) a decent left back farke had on loan at norwich, is now off to Ipswich, whilst we continue looking (looking probably all the way to league 1).

So my post a while back about "who's in charge" (meaning who has final say in important desicions like buying new players) rules kinnear out then.
    I said as much on that thread. I'm sure he is well there intentioned, but as Mrs O mentioned in her post in that thread, the purse strings are held by those on the West coast of the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    I said as much on that thread. I'm sure he is well there intentioned, but as Mrs O mentioned in her post in that thread, the purse strings are held by those on the West coast of the USA.
    Hey mate a few years ago our company got ‘taken over’ by yanks … awarded the contract with the lowest operational cost.
    I was involved with the union at that time. After a strike, the first ever for the company we got things half sorted, they had no idea how we live and worked being a neighbour and all that!

After many meeting…finally every employee got it on how they like to think. We don’t work with the yanks, we work for them.
    I feel and sense the same thing happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by george_kaplan View Post
    Hey mate a few years ago our company got ‘taken over’ by yanks … awarded the contract with the lowest operational cost.
    I was involved with the union at that time. After a strike, the first ever for the company we got things half sorted, they had no idea how we live and worked being a neighbour and all that!

After many meeting…finally every employee got it on how they like to think. We don’t work with the yanks, we work for them.
    I feel and sense the same thing happening here.
    At the moment, I don't get the feeling that they (particularly Marathe) are engaged in any way except (occasionally) signing a cheque or two. The quotes in the post from Mrs O in another thread make mention of him having been a passenger so far and now he has his hands in the controls. Oh yeah?

Would be a richer man, for every time the phrase / words - Leeds are looking/expected/stepping up/closing in/finalising/leading the race, etc are printed. Leeds are slow/dithering/clueless, to name a few, would be more apt.

Broadly speaking if you a buy a player you spread the payments (typically equally) over the duration of the contract so each year you will have to be able to pay those off.

When you sell a player I think there are possibly two ways of treating the ‘income’ under the rules - you account for it all then or again spread it over the payment schedule.

In the championship you can make a loss of 5m per season (technically 13m as the owners can pump in up to 8m per season but it counts as loss.) This is judged over a 3 year period but each club has to submit accounts for each year.

There are definitely ways of ‘gaming’ the system but the leagues are getting tougher on that each year.

From what Kinnear has come out and said - whether that is right or wrong - Radz couldn’t fund relegation if the buyout didn’t happen irrespective of the FFP rules so had to ensure there were huge wage reduction clauses in the event of relegation which meant the players wanted release clauses and they didn’t want to necessary sell the players at a loss so agreed to the loan clauses.

On one level it makes sense but not from a football perspective. The bad news is we have lost a lot of talent that might have helped us bounce back. The good news is that we are financially stable in a way that we weren’t last time we got relegated from the prem.

Also when the players come back at the end of the season the clauses were a one time deal so we will have assets to sell or players to use.

It does leave us somewhat exposed this season but we own the ground, we don’t have huge debts, the wage bill should be slashed compared to last season and we have parachute payments.

We also have owner/investors with more money than Radz had, Farke seems great (this far) and the incoming players so far have been good signings.

It’s in our song that we have ups and downs so buckle up, hold on and try to enjoy the bumpy ride until the end of the window and then as the season unfolds.

Maybe they should pkay the D:ream song on match days 😎

I'm almost positive there are going to be contrary opinions to this on the way. 😁

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)