+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: “Aid” to India

“Aid” to India

Have discussed this a few times but yet there seems to be a few people who still think we are handing money to India or anywhere in the world

No one in the UK Govt is generous enough to give handouts to any other country

Take a minute to listen

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status...563786936?s=20

Top video BS, i’ve always held the belief that there is no way the UK sends money abroad from the goodness of the hearts. 😂

Soulman - I strongly suggest watching this video before posting another daily fail link. Honestly you’ll find this content to be dismiss what you’ve been led to believe all this time.

Interesting watch so thanks for posting BS.

One thing I would comment on is that I doubt very much that the vast sums "invested' in India wind up benefiting either most of the UK population or that of India, but rather stays primarily in the hands of the rich business leaders involved.

The points Shiv Aroor makes about the UK continuing to heavily invest due to a combination of its own financial woes post Brexit (interestingly he doesn't mention the impact of the Ukraine War) and the desire to still be involved in India so that it still retains some influence for geo-political reasons (given India has increasingly looked away from Britain and towards Russia and China) make sense.

One thing I do disagree with-and this comes into any discussion around reparations-is that, whilst it is undeniable that Britain looted the wealth of India during both the days of the East India Company and the Raj, this only benefited very few. It is true that several big companies and individuals owe their wealth to the exploitation of empire and it can be argued that London's position as a major global trading centre derives from this period, but the vast majority of Britons (certainly the working classes) didn't benefit much from this. Similarly, assorted princes and leaders in India benefited financially from agreements made with the British during the days of both EIC and Raj but certainly not the vast majority of the country.

Ironically, of course, it is the ignorance of those in the UK whose families who have not benefited from the exploitation of empire who are most likely to criticise sending "aid" monies to India when it can afford a space program. I think Aroor is being a bit disingenuous in his accusations here as this is primarily about rich people whilst plenty in this country are suffering financially and the majority of India's population live in relative poverty.

In addition, I think many are unhappy that the UK invests so much in a country still riven by inequalities and human rights issues under the leadership of someone like Modi. This is no different of course than continuing dealings and support with Saudi or Israel for example but dealing with unsavoury leaders is the downside of realpolitik I guess.

Forgot to add that whilst there may be degrees of ignorance around the distinction between "aid" and "investment" amongst those who criticise sending such vast sums to India, given that India can afford a space program (whilst many of its population remain in poverty) and that many in the UK are suffering financial hardship is such criticism then unwarranted still? Could this money not be put to better use (e.g. on the NHS, education, housing, help with energy bills, public transport etc) where it would benefit more of the population in the UK itself? I'm sure some of this investment eventually filters down in the form of possible job creation etc but I'd bet the majority of it only really benefits the select few (in both countries).

Think you are right Omeg the powers that be on both sides are using their countries money to line their pockets and their buddies pockets

This type of aid always has been simply bribe / keep them sweet money, always a reason behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    Think you are right Omeg the powers that be on both sides are using their countries money to line their pockets and their buddies pockets
    I think that’s a fair assessment BS.

Scum always rises to the top and floats on the surface……like turds.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I think that’s a fair assessment BS.

Scum always rises to the top and floats on the surface……like turds.
    Absolutely brilliant way of putting it Mick

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    Absolutely brilliant way of putting it Mick
    To quote Jarvis :

"Well, did you hear there's a natural order
    Those most deserving will end up with the most
    That the cream cannot help but rise up to the top
    Well I say, s hit floats

If you thought things had changed
    Friend, you'd better think again
    Bluntly put, in the fewest of words
    "C unts are still running the world"

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)