+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 📺On This Date: Liverpool 4 - 2 Notts Co. [AET]

📺On This Date: Liverpool 4 - 2 Notts Co. [AET]

Hard to believe this is already a decade ago!

Last edited by SwalePie; 27-08-2023 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Hard to believe this is already a decade ago!

Can't remember whether it was Coombes or Arquin who got the equaliser but I was watching it in The Courtyard at Manchester and there were a group of non Scouse Liverpool fans giving me a load of **** when they were winning as if they were beating Everton in a title decider - the equaliser was sweet.

Yes it was Coombes who scored. Although we lost (as expected) it was a great night for us.
    I remember being in Liverpool a couple of months before and thought I would go on the Anfield tour whilst there as I never thought I would get to watch Notts play there.
    Match day was an experience from the moment the coach got near Anfield with a sea of red and white scarves hats, anything the Scousers could find in their club colours.
    We sang our hearts out, and at the end the home fans were very complimentary about the way Notts had played that night. One game that stays in the memory bank with our famous night in Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by meoldlaner View Post
    Yes it was Coombes who scored. Although we lost (as expected) it was a great night for us.
    I remember being in Liverpool a couple of months before and thought I would go on the Anfield tour whilst there as I never thought I would get to watch Notts play there.
    Match day was an experience from the moment the coach got near Anfield with a sea of red and white scarves hats, anything the Scousers could find in their club colours.
    We sang our hearts out, and at the end the home fans were very complimentary about the way Notts had played that night. One game that stays in the memory bank with our famous night in Leeds.
    Great memories. The long walk back to the car surrounded by some friendly and complimentary Liverpool fans was an extra bonus.

I always have mixed feelings when I see a Notts team play outstandingly well in a cup match but then play abysmally in the league. I've never really bought that "raise your game for the cup" argument. Either you're capable of hitting a standard or you're not, and if you prove that you are, but only do it on 'big nights' when the cameras and the lights are on, then there's a problem with hunger and desire there somewhere.

I remember us playing Tottenham completely off the park and beating them 3-0 in a League Cup tie, then going to Burnley a few days later and turning in a putrid performance in a season where we finished bottom of the Championship and got relegated. Some would say the players simply "raised their game" for the night against Spurs. I'd say that squad defrauded the fans for the rest of that season, because that degree of difference between one performance and many others can only be attributed to a lack of effort and application.