+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home fans

Home fans

To be consistently getting 9k+ home fans in tier 4 is nothing short of fantastic. I queued for quite while on Meadow Lane for a while to get in at 2.35pm which is something I am really not used to as a Notts fan.

Credit must go to the owners for having a vision in how the team play and also to Mr Williams who has us playing some of the best football I have watched Notts play since I first was taken to Meadow Lane as a 9 year old in 1987. My two boys (13&11 and are on their third season as season ticket holders) are absolutely buzzing and on anecdotal evidence it appears Notts are certainly courting a way younger fan-base than I can ever remember.

But credit too to the fans today as there were many moments where we were certainly the 12th man. Making noise when the play had all gone a bit flat (which it did on a few occasions today) and also lifting individual players (Langstaff especially before he had scored). I'm sure the players must notice this and it must give them a massive lift.

It's certainly a good time to be a Notts fan and long may it continue.

To be honest I never really bought the argument that the style of football a team plays could increase its gates. I always believed attendances were linked mainly to success, and they may still be, but it's inescapable that virtually every game Notts play nowadays has great entertainment value, and even if people are initially being tempted to Meadow Lane by results, they're much more likely to come again when they see football like this. Getting more than eight (thousand) through the gate seems to prove it. I keep saying it, but the contrast between this and the utter dross we had to watch in the Steve Thompson/Gudjon Thordarsson era is incredible. Chalk and cheese.

I realise my first sentence is a bit of a mess but see if I care. We are top of the league.

For years, I hated the “new” Meadow Lane and the soulless atmosphere we generated at it. Turns out we just needed more fans, more youngsters, great owners and a bloody good team full of skill, endeavour and a never-say-die attitude. Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    To be consistently getting 9k+ home fans in tier 4 is nothing short of fantastic. I queued for quite while on Meadow Lane for a while to get in at 2.35pm which is something I am really not used to as a Notts fan.

Credit must go to the owners for having a vision in how the team play and also to Mr Williams who has us playing some of the best football I have watched Notts play since I first was taken to Meadow Lane as a 9 year old in 1987. My two boys (13&11 and are on their third season as season ticket holders) are absolutely buzzing and on anecdotal evidence it appears Notts are certainly courting a way younger fan-base than I can ever remember.

But credit too to the fans today as there were many moments where we were certainly the 12th man. Making noise when the play had all gone a bit flat (which it did on a few occasions today) and also lifting individual players (Langstaff especially before he had scored). I'm sure the players must notice this and it must give them a massive lift.

It's certainly a good time to be a Notts fan and long may it continue.
    Great to see. Last week against Tranmere we had the highest attendance outside the Championship. Happy days ⭐

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    I realise my first sentence is a bit of a mess but see if I care. We are top of the league.
    I had to queue for a full 2 mins to get in the ground, sort it aht Notts!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I had to queue for a full 2 mins to get in the ground, sort it aht Notts!!!!!!!!!

Haha.

I had to throw some sort of moan in. I'm a Notts fan.

Agree totally. Everyone loves a winning team, but the transformation to the fans is obvious.
    Also agree with the Steve Thompson comment. When you think back to where we were then and all the in between…
    Him and Colin Murphy gave interesting after match interviews occasionally, but by Christ, I’d rather have the football we have now!
    We’ve always been a fickle lot and we’ve always struggled to attract a younger generation to get to that critical mass point, but it feels good to be there now.
    Credit to all involved and long may it continue!
    I do hope it continues though as I wouldn’t the young ‘uns to have to go through Thordarson, Gary Mills or god forbid, Jocky Scott! Lol

Living in Lincoln, the closest example I can think of is when the Cowleys took over and they went from rattling around with 3,000 in to selling out near enough overnight. And they didn’t even play decent football! Seeing photos of the kop is good enough, but the atmosphere is fantastic.

I always laughed at those who said we would get gates below 2,000 if we ever went into non-league, but I would have been equally tempted to laugh at anyone who suggested we would get gates of around 10,000 in League 2.

The numbers are amazing, and long may they continue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast