+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home fans

I think there are fans crawling out from under their seats, and realising it is ok to clap, and yes, even join in with the kop and sing. You can almost feel the pride returning to people who for years had hidden their Magpie light under a bushel. Imagine if we could spread that noise to four sides of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    I think there are fans crawling out from under their seats, and realising it is ok to clap, and yes, even join in with the kop and sing. You can almost feel the pride returning to people who for years had hidden their Magpie light under a bushel. Imagine if we could spread that noise to four sides of the ground.
    Definitely. I said in another thread we all must know some Notts fans that will talk to you about Notts but rarely attend. If we can get those people to the ground to witness the way we are currently playing they will surely come back very soon. I think that is slowly happening.

And say it very quietly, but we are benefiting massively from the inability of Nottingham folk being able to get tickets to the Rushcliffe Rovers. Where folks want to watch live professional football the only choice in Nottingham is Meadow Lane and the product on offer is superb.

The potential has always been there in my view. Nottingham as in the City has a population of 300,000. The wider area 800,000.

For a number of reasons since the end of the Pavis era successive owners until the current ones have struggled to provide the foundations for success. With Scardino and Storrie it was boom and bust. Then the trust which had all on keeping the club ticking over but managed to put out a football league side to their credit. Then Munto again a boom and bust. With The Trews the momentum was there peaking with the Curle season finishing 8th in League One, but as we know it withered away and the decline to the bottom began. With Hardy one of the things he managed to do was improve attendances, but again it was a short lived tenure.

Where we are today has been four years in the making. Despite being in the National League for four seasons it enabled us to win more games in a season than we lost and certainly at home. So people have got used to coming down to Notts and seeing us win. Also it's meant that the image of old men with flasks of tea and blankets in the Pavis has been dispelled by people who have come down saw it's not like that.

Add to this the way we have played football over the past few years which has made us attractive to watch. We get value for money as well as Notts have more of the ball than the opposition generally. It's meant the crowds have also had to learn to understand and appreciate how we play over time. Now it's been backed up with a record breaking season the momentum has shifted from a club that crashed and hit rock bottom, to one that stabilised to one that now is on an upward trajectory.

Fans were great today even the pavis stand where I was were getting involved

Seemingly I always got that horribly wrong, I always thought a successful side across the Trent was bad news for Notts. How wrong was I and no doubt others?

Cheaper, more accessible, much better football, more entertainment, no wonder floating fans are flocking to the lane. The demographic is changing and for the better.

I imagine the past gates Vs Accrington are pitiful by comparison.

Yes success is key, but style is also very important. We play great football, we really do and if you still can't see it and still moan about going backwards to recycle possession then I don't think the current Notts under the current owners is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by thefulltenyards View Post
    Seemingly I always got that horribly wrong, I always thought a successful side across the Trent was bad news for Notts. How wrong was I and no doubt others?

Cheaper, more accessible, much better football, more entertainment, no wonder floating fans are flocking to the lane. The demographic is changing and for the better.

I imagine the past gates Vs Accrington are pitiful by comparison.

Yes success is key, but style is also very important. We play great football, we really do and if you still can't see it and still moan about going backwards to recycle possession then I don't think the current Notts under the current owners is for you.
    I don’t think I’ve seen anyone on here complaining about our style of play for quite a while.

6087 last time we played them st ML in a 2-2 draw, but it was on a Friday night.

The buzz at the Lane at the moment is amazing and I keep telling my boys to soak it up whilst it lasts - hopefully it's for the longer term.

Really good attendance numbers, I seem to recall we had a drive to get 8 through the gate (or summat) similar when we were in League 1 and we are smashing that now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Definitely. I said in another thread we all must know some Notts fans that will talk to you about Notts but rarely attend. If we can get those people to the ground to witness the way we are currently playing they will surely come back very soon. I think that is slowly happening.

And say it very quietly, but we are benefiting massively from the inability of Nottingham folk being able to get tickets to the Rushcliffe Rovers. Where folks want to watch live professional football the only choice in Nottingham is Meadow Lane and the product on offer is superb.
    I think Rushcliffe will stay up again....mainly because it's the weakest Prem I've seen for a while. Luton will fill one spot, then Sheff U, Burnley, B'mouth, Everton, Rushcliffe, Wolves etc etc...take your pick from some complete dross.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    I think Rushcliffe will stay up again....mainly because it's the weakest Prem I've seen for a while. Luton will fill one spot, then Sheff U, Burnley, B'mouth, Everton, Rushcliffe, Wolves etc etc...take your pick from some complete dross.
    I think so too. Let them continue wining 9-12 games per season out of 38 for a few seasons with no chance of younger fans getting a ticket. If we continue playing winning attractive football over that period then we will be the long-term beneficiaries. Football is not a TV programme, it's a sport to be enjoyed live at the ground. Proper football fans know this and our fan base will grow.

Once you are a Notts fan, you are a Notts fan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast