+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Cutting the cable

O/T:- Cutting the cable

Anyone able to offer any advice? I am paying a fortune for Virgin Media TV, broadband and phone. It includes a landline I never use, around 400 rubbish channels and broadband. I'm happy with broadband but want to ditch the rest. Unfortunately I am in a terrible reception area, what is the best way to cut cable and get TV - firestick type solution hopefully over broadband. All I want is Freeview TV, which I have been told you don't get on Firestick. Any ideas gratefully received.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 03-09-2023 at 10:49 AM.

I dont have experience of fire stick but you can get free view through a Now TV box which i believe can be bought pretty cheaply 2nd hand. Now TV clearly offer their own TV packages but you dont need to buy them.
    Stick with virgin for broadband if you like but last time I had just broadband, I used Cuckoo who were better value for money, but you'd need a good phone signal for that.

I have Freesat box as have an old Sky dish on the wall. Works a treat as being in a Derbyshire valley I can't use an aerial. I use Now TV for fibre bradband and also one on their sticks for catch up, You Tube etc. I pay £22 a month for it and will be losing the TV license soon as watch very little TV as it's all crap, especially the sh*t the BBC churn out!!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will investigate the Now TV box.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I will investigate the Now TV box.
    I'm looking to change as Virgin is too expensive and my contract runs out this month. I don't even have Sky Sports or Sky Cinema either. The new Sky Stream looks reasonable and you can do it on a month by month basis if you pay a little more.

Hi Woodypie.

We were in exactly the same position as you but contacted Virgin and now just have broadband. This also allows us to keep our Virgin email active and can still watch Prime or any other subscription we might want on the TV. They wanted £38 but am paying £33. 18 month contract. I know you can probably sort something out cheaper but this is much less than we were paying and Virgin does seem to be the fastest provider.

All the players are natively downloadable to a FireStick, you don't need FreeView APK at all!

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Hi Woodypie.

We were in exactly the same position as you but contacted Virgin and now just have broadband. This also allows us to keep our Virgin email active and can still watch Prime or any other subscription we might want on the TV. They wanted £38 but am paying £33. 18 month contract. I know you can probably sort something out cheaper but this is much less than we were paying and Virgin does seem to be the fastest provider.
    Maybe try again, I'm paying £27 per month for broadband only.