+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts players you didn't rate but others did

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    Alex Lacey and Michael Doyle are two recent ones I never really got the hype about.
    Apart from his half way line goal in the fa trophy, I can't remember Doyle providing any meaningful impact, whether it be as a player or assistant manager at notts..
    Good shout re: Doyle. Although Ardley made it worse. If he'd treated him as a normal 39 year old and used him more sparingly, then it wouldn't have been so bad.

I thought Gary Lund was overrated, but Jon Stead made me miss him and question why I paid money to watch Notts at the same time

Final one, Jimmy Spencer. I missed his earlier spell and only started going again when he returned from injury. The mismatch between how fans talked about him and what was actually happening was massive

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Andre Boucaud was another who flattered to deceive for me. We've had much worse players, but he never really looked like he was doing anything out there that would help win us a game.
    Stanley Aborah and Andre Boucard were both good players. Was the problem, that at the time, Notts style of play was a bit kick and rush?

Boucard made 486 total career appearances plus 48 International appearances. A lot of different managers must have thought he had something to offer.

From recent times has to be Doyle and Wootton for me. Particularly Doyle.

I think it wasn't just the fact a lot of fans liked him, it was the full scale gaslighting operation that Radio Nottingham and the Post were in on as well.

We were supposed to believe that he was a cross between Xavi and Gattuso, when in actual fact he was slow, error prone, often gave the ball away and didn't/couldn't track runners. Quite ill-disciplined too.

Really good player in his day, but shocking for us IMO bar a number of games you can count one the fingers of one hand. The whole thing was bizarre.

Bob Worthington - I thought he was a dreadful fullback always looking the wrong way - it was also the start of us always signing the crap brother.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieGuy View Post
    Tony Agana. Most expensive mistake ever.
    The only player who could tackle himself with the ball & nobody near him.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Bob Worthington - I thought he was a dreadful fullback always looking the wrong way - it was also the start of us always signing the crap brother.
    Yes, I agree. If a player ran at him he used to back pedal and never put in a tackle. Fortunately we had Stubbsy coming across and covering by taking ball and man. Happy days though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marshall View Post
    Yes, I agree. If a player ran at him he used to back pedal and never put in a tackle. Fortunately we had Stubbsy coming across and covering by taking ball and man. Happy days though.
    Slack Alice his nickname as I remember

A player I never fully appreciated was David Hunt. Yes, I know he ran around a lot and scored a hat trick in the old Division One!

His head was also on swivel and almost did a 360 degree when the winger went passed him and yes he then fortunately would run into Stubbsy which wasn't a pleasent experience.

I was in the Pavis some time back and as Stubbsy came passed me to get to his seat I winced.

A player I never fully appreciated was David Hunt. Yes, I know he ran around a lot and scored a hat trick in the old Division One!
    To be fair to Hunt, he left Notts for Aston Villa whilst regulars of the same vintage - Clarke, Mair and Goodwin - all left for 3rd tier teams (Lincoln and Walsall). I much preferred Pike to Goodwin, but maybe Goodwin's best days were his first two at the club which I missed.

Probably a fair few 80s top flight squad players got found out as lacking once our best players moved on.
    We had some very below average players come into the side as we went down - the likes of Daws, Robinson, Jones - who disappeared into obscurity. Though Hodson and Downing, who were quite poor for Notts, went on to have solid careers.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast