+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notts players you rated but others didn't

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Matt "Big Boot" Redmile. I liked defenders who didn't muck about in those days.

Speaking as somebody who was at both Peterboro away games in 92 and 93, Bob Catlin wasn't as terrible as most think. I wouldn't say I rated him, but he had at least one very good game at London Road and didn't do anything much wrong in the other. The home match v Barnsley was a disaster for sure and unfortunately for him fans do seem to turn on a keeper so much more intensely than say a striker who has missed a couple of sitters.

Dijkstra was decent too but now gets singled out for the calamitous goal at the Baseball Ground, the very last goal ever scored in a Notts fixture on that ground as it turned out (the final meeting at the BG being a 0-0).
    I remember at half time of that Barnsley game it felt like the whole ground were shouting "we want Cherry". Catlin was clearly struggling with back passes as the new rule had only just been bought in.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I liked Richard Liburd although it often felt like I was in a minority of about 1, I didn't mind Haydn Hollis either, I know people moaned at him just constantly booting the ball out of play but on the rare occassions he tried to pass it you could see why he was hoofing it.
    Liburd for England!

He had a really good spell in his last season (I think) where he scored quite a few important goals. Local lad, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Mark Fotheringham
    He was bloody awful. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Another underrated defender: Stephen Hunt.

Did all the basics well. Quick, strong, and good in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

Dijkstra is one for me too. He was my favourite player as a kid, though I'm not sure I had the football knowledge to express why exactly.

A more recent one is Colby Bishop. Didn't do much for us but I'd followed his goal scoring antics for academy and reserve sides and was convinced he was going to be something special. That level of goal scoring instinct is rare and needs nurturing. I was astounded when we let him go and couldn't believe there wasn't more of an uproar. It took a few years but he's definitely made good on that potential now.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    Dijkstra is one for me too. He was my favourite player as a kid, though I'm not sure I had the football knowledge to express why exactly.

A more recent one is Colby Bishop. Didn't do much for us but I'd followed his goal scoring antics for academy and reserve sides and was convinced he was going to be something special. That level of goal scoring instinct is rare and needs nurturing. I was astounded when we let him go and couldn't believe there wasn't more of an uproar. It took a few years but he's definitely made good on that potential now.
    I think Colby under the current regime makes it at Notts. He came through at a time when Notts didn’t have the patience to wait. Hence why he dropped down the leagues for a bit.

Didn't he predict we'd be "going up as champions" under Chris Kiwomya? So at least his optimism was impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    ...I didn't mind Haydn Hollis either, I know people moaned at him just constantly booting the ball out of play but on the rare occassions he tried to pass it you could see why he was hoofing it.
    I too thought Haydn Hollis was alright. Mike Edwards was doing a good job mentoring him, and his attitude was OK.

Another underrated defender: Stephen Hunt.

Did all the basics well. Quick, strong, and good in the air.
    I think Hunt improved when sven put him to left back..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast