+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ian Hamilton shocking news if true

addiction of any sort is an awful thing to deal with. Sorry to hear. Good memories.

I found my old passport out from the early to mid 90’s last night and I was sporting the Hammy “curtains” hairstyle, it was quite surreal looking at that image, me and him at that time could’ve easily passed as brothers.

I think he’s the first player we’ve lost from that 93 promotion side?

I’m sure he didn’t get a testimonial back in the day so I hope the club do something in that regard now to honour him and help his family out.

Sad to hear that he’d struggled with alcoholism.

Sad news. He was a very likeable player and person and he he clearly felt something for the Albion as proven by his commentaries on the Albion website. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    addiction of any sort is an awful thing to deal with. Sorry to hear. Good memories.

100% agree Boingy! Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I found my old passport out from the early to mid 90’s last night and I was sporting the Hammy “curtains” hairstyle, it was quite surreal looking at that image, me and him at that time could’ve easily passed as brothers.

I think he’s the first player we’ve lost from that 93 promotion side?

I’m sure he didn’t get a testimonial back in the day so I hope the club do something in that regard now to honour him and help his family out.

Sad to hear that he’d struggled with alcoholism.
    Come on mick. We need proof. Post that photo. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by boinggazmic View Post
    Come on mick. We need proof. Post that photo. Lol
    Absolutely no chance.

Very sad listening to that podcast, he still seemed a happy and positive chap.

Him talking about his fluid retention reminded me about a chap I knew who supported Stourbridge FC who I got chatting to three seasons ago at an away game.

He liked a bottle or two of wine at night and then suddenly, out of nowhere and with no other prior warnings his stomach started to swell.

He went to the doctor thinking it was a dietary issue and they did blood tests and the scan and found his liver was already at a critical stage of scirociss.

He told me that the liver is an amazing organ and that it will soak up massive punishment and carry on seeming to work as normal for a long time with alcohol but then suddenly….BANG…..it starts to fail but because it carries on seemingly as normal for so long, when it does fail it’s actually down to 10-20% of its true capability.

He was 50 when he had this sudden collapse and was dead within two years.

My wife had an ex boyfriend who was exactly the same, we saw him in his early 50’s when everything seemed normal with him and 18 months later he was in hospital at deaths door with renal failure.

I think the problem in this country with the wine drinking is that a lot of people use it as the “I just need a couple to unwind in an evening”……actually you don’t, you need it because you need it because you’re so used to it that your body is craving it.

Same with smoking, you don’t need one to calm your nerves, you need one because you’re in nicotine deficiency and dependency.

It’s amazing how we as rational adults convince ourselves about this stuff.

I’m no different, by 8.30pm each night the devil on my shoulder is telling me I deserve that big pack of Maltesers so I duly go and treat myself.

Wiping out the exercise I’ve done that afternoon and adding cholesterol to my arteries and fat to my liver.

I know it’s stupid and I know I shouldn’t do it but I do.

Chocolate in an evening is my weakness and it’s doing me no good but at least I’m honest with myself and everyone else, most drinkers are not.

In this country we like to kid ourselves that we’ve become European, we have a “glass” with a meal etc, etc.

My experience of Europeans is different, the ones I’ve met don’t reach for the bottle and pour a large one as soon as they get home and then finish the last half of the bottle before bedtime as it’s a “shame to waste it”.

I’ve had a blood test to check my liver function and I’m a bit borderline on certain markers so I am now trying to be a bit more careful, I’ve also had a scan through my GP.

All I will say to my friends on here who do like a drink and drink daily or on most days is to get yourself a blood test to check liver fat and function.

It’s such a brilliant bodily organ it’s best to know that you’re within a normal range on your markers and don’t go past the point of no return.

Hammy’s podcast is very stark and a real wake up call.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Very sad listening to that podcast, he still seemed a happy and positive chap.

Him talking about his fluid retention reminded me about a chap I knew who supported Stourbridge FC who I got chatting to three seasons ago at an away game.

He liked a bottle or two of wine at night and then suddenly, out of nowhere and with no other prior warnings his stomach started to swell.

He went to the doctor thinking it was a dietary issue and they did blood tests and the scan and found his liver was already at a critical stage of scirociss.

He told me that the liver is an amazing organ and that it will soak up massive punishment and carry on seeming to work as normal for a long time with alcohol but then suddenly….BANG…..it starts to fail but because it carries on seemingly as normal for so long, when it does fail it’s actually down to 10-20% of its true capability.

He was 50 when he had this sudden collapse and was dead within two years.

My wife had an ex boyfriend who was exactly the same, we saw him in his early 50’s when everything seemed normal with him and 18 months later he was in hospital at deaths door with renal failure.

I think the problem in this country with the wine drinking is that a lot of people use it as the “I just need a couple to unwind in an evening”……actually you don’t, you need it because you need it because you’re so used to it that your body is craving it.

Same with smoking, you don’t need one to calm your nerves, you need one because you’re in nicotine deficiency and dependency.

It’s amazing how we as rational adults convince ourselves about this stuff.

I’m no different, by 8.30pm each night the devil on my shoulder is telling me I deserve that big pack of Maltesers so I duly go and treat myself.

Wiping out the exercise I’ve done that afternoon and adding cholesterol to my arteries and fat to my liver.

I know it’s stupid and I know I shouldn’t do it but I do.

Chocolate in an evening is my weakness and it’s doing me no good but at least I’m honest with myself and everyone else, most drinkers are not.

In this country we like to kid ourselves that we’ve become European, we have a “glass” with a meal etc, etc.

My experience of Europeans is different, the ones I’ve met don’t reach for the bottle and pour a large one as soon as they get home and then finish the last half of the bottle before bedtime as it’s a “shame to waste it”.

I’ve had a blood test to check my liver function and I’m a bit borderline on certain markers so I am now trying to be a bit more careful, I’ve also had a scan through my GP.

All I will say to my friends on here who do like a drink and drink daily or on most days is to get yourself a blood test to check liver fat and function.

It’s such a brilliant bodily organ it’s best to know that you’re within a normal range on your markers and don’t go past the point of no return.

Hammy’s podcast is very stark and a real wake up call.

F uck the maltesers - they don’t take away the pain from supporting West Brom!

I have personally seen more people drop dead of a young age who don’t drink or smoke. Only this week there’s a guy at our tennis club who loves tennis and an avid runner but does not drink or smoke - just dropped dead at 61.

Everything in moderation and if you are 60 plus anyway you need to enjoy the last final stretch of your life.

Look at the amount of people who are over 60 who are very comfortable financially but drop dead. What’s the point in having assets and money if you can’t enjoy them yourself? A family member will leave me a tidy sum but didn’t know the chap and the silly old f ucker had property plus over 300 grand in the bank but didn’t enjoy his life. Silly old sod and don’t really want a share of his estate!

Can’t eat a nice steak without a glass of Malbec as it makes it for me! Chocolate not in moderation can be as bad as wine with all that crap going inside you!

Enjoy what you enjoy doing and spend any more on yourself and the mrs. The kids should have made their own success and shouldn’t be reliant on inheritance. I insisted that my mum spent every penny and said anything left will be donated to Battersea!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    F uck the maltesers - they don’t take away the pain from supporting West Brom!

I have personally seen more people drop dead of a young age who don’t drink or smoke. Only this week there’s a guy at our tennis club who loves tennis and an avid runner but does not drink or smoke - just dropped dead at 61.

Everything in moderation and if you are 60 plus anyway you need to enjoy the last final stretch of your life.

Look at the amount of people who are over 60 who are very comfortable financially but drop dead. What’s the point in having assets and money if you can’t enjoy them yourself? A family member will leave me a tidy sum but didn’t know the chap and the silly old f ucker had property plus over 300 grand in the bank but didn’t enjoy his life. Silly old sod and don’t really want a share of his estate!

Can’t eat a nice steak without a glass of Malbec as it makes it for me! Chocolate not in moderation can be as bad as wine with all that crap going inside you!

Enjoy what you enjoy doing and spend any more on yourself and the mrs. The kids should have made their own success and shouldn’t be reliant on inheritance. I insisted that my mum spent every penny and said anything left will be donated to Battersea!
    Exactly my point made for me, the UK approach of self justification for alcohol usage.

Cheers mate.👍🏻

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)