+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Its Me!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    Yes mate, late 60's early 70's. Never got into all that glam rock stuff or that New Romantics malarkey. Preferred the American West and East coast scenes. I quite liked Punk when it arrived but preferred what it morphed into as New Wave. Liked a lot of 80's stuff though such as The Psychedelic Furs and the original line up of The Waterboys, The Sound, Echo and The Bunnymen etc. I am obsessed with music.
    Echo and The Bunnymen were excellent, I loved Killing Moon” link below.

I got to see OMD and Talk Talk in their very early days and they were very good.

https://youtu.be/LWz0JC7afNQ?si=hF8y8dhDL_DiWnie

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Echo and The Bunnymen were excellent, I loved Killing Moon” link below.

I got to see OMD and Talk Talk in their very early days and they were very good.

https://youtu.be/LWz0JC7afNQ?si=hF8y8dhDL_DiWnie
    Talk Talk has to be one of the greatest sounding bands I have ever heard live. The quality of the playing and the overall sound was incredible. The only other band I have seen and heard live that matched that quality of sound was The Blue Nile and I have seen some ''big'' artists in my time including Led Zeppelin and David Bowie and the like but they never matched those two bands for quality of sound.

Talk Talk has to be one of the greatest sounding bands I have ever heard live. The quality of the playing and the overall sound was incredible. The only other band I have seen and heard live that matched that quality of sound was The Blue Nile and I have seen some ''big'' artists in my time including Led Zeppelin and David Bowie and the like but they never matched those two bands for quality of sound.
    I’ve just checked and it was Dec 81 I saw Talk Talk supporting Duran Duran at Birmingham Odeon.

A great little venue, I think it only held 2000-3000.

Talk Talk had so few songs at the time they played Talk Talk twice……thankfully 😎

Yes mate, late 60's early 70's. Never got into all that glam rock stuff or that New Romantics malarkey. Preferred the American West and East coast scenes. I quite liked Punk when it arrived but preferred what it morphed into as New Wave. Liked a lot of 80's stuff though such as The Psychedelic Furs and the original line up of The Waterboys, The Sound, Echo and The Bunnymen etc. I am obsessed with music.
    Sound like a man after my own heart Joy/Wazoo! Don't know wether it is an age thing but I've become more eclectic about it over the years and find I can enjoy a far greater range of musical genres than I once did. From someone who loved all the classic 60s bands (Beatles/ Dylan/Stones etc) and then became a bit obsessive about making my own tapes from the John Peel show I now enjoy those compilation albums and even some classical, opera and jazz😂

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Sound like a man after my own heart Joy/Wazoo! Don't know wether it is an age thing but I've become more eclectic about it over the years and find I can enjoy a far greater range of musical genres than I once did. From someone who loved all the classic 60s bands (Beatles/ Dylan/Stones etc) and then became a bit obsessive about making my own tapes from the John Peel show I now enjoy those compilation albums and even some classical, opera and jazz��
    It was John Peel that introduced me to the likes of Zappa, Beefheart, Van Der Graaf Generator etc. Like you as I have got older I have embraced more styles of music however I cannot stand Rap and if I am honest I cannot get into Reggae to any great degree, maybe the odd track is listenable to me. But I still like Soul such as Otis Redding and Al Green etc and can still listen to Tamla Motown and Jazz. I always say that Black musicians have produced some of the greatest music around but also the worst.

It was John Peel that introduced me to the likes of Zappa, Beefheart, Van Der Graaf Generator etc. Like you as I have got older I have embraced more styles of music however I cannot stand Rap and if I am honest I cannot get into Reggae to any great degree, maybe the odd track is listenable to me. But I still like Soul such as Otis Redding and Al Green etc and can still listen to Tamla Motown and Jazz. I always say that Black musicians have produced some of the greatest music around but also the worst.
    I think learning to play guitar also helped broaden my musical tastes as it encouraged me to read about and listen to players across a range of genres. Like yourself (and Soulman) I have a particular fondness for 60s Soul music but I also quite like a lot of reggae and ska. A genre like grime, on the other hand, I really cannot get into (probably a generational thing?) whilst even though I'm not a great fan of others, like country&western or hip hop, I find there are generally a few artists or tracks I like. Also find myself listening to more "world" music now and even if I don't understand much at all of the lyrics, I can still enjoy some non-English language artists (though these too no doubt reflect my increasing age as they mostly include oldies like Edith Piaf, Francoise Hardy and Miriam Makeba&#128514

I remember buying an EP by Francoise Hardy when on a school trip to Paris in 1962; it had her biggest ‘hit’ on that EP, ‘Tous Les garçons et Les Filles’. Rather nice was Francoise!

On a more general note re music, I rather like a lot of Country, especially that described as Country Rock. I am especially fond of Emmylou Harris and her music, someone that has always had a top class backing band. I am going to see one of her erstwhile guitarists next month, Albert Lee, an amazing musician; at nearly 80 years of age his dexterity on a guitar is quite astonishing. He performs at The Stables every year and every year I get tickets. I’ve met the man a few times after his gigs and shaken his hand but unfortunately, his playing skills did not transfer to me!!!! Neither did buying one of his picks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)