+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matchday Thread: Blackpool v Derby

Indeed, we seem to play better away and I felt that was a result coming, though surprised we did it against Blackpool. Some strange results again to night, this is going to be a topsy turvey league this season.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Indeed. Didn’t see that coming.
    Oh ye of little faith! I didn't necessarily see that result coming but as I have said I felt we would score soon, looking at other results, its a strange league this year and I don't see anyone running away with it.

Never doubted us
    Hopefully can string a few together

The sea air must have done us good! I wonder if Warne showed them the illuminations after the game as a reward!! Well done to one and all, now do it at home!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    The sea air must have done us good! I wonder if Warne showed them the illuminations after the game as a reward!! Well done to one and all, now do it at home!
    Let’s do it away again...at Cheltenham and Shrewsbury first! Could be playing to our strengths. Hope that’s not famous last words!

Interesting to note that we basically in the same position 7th as we were this time last season so maybe things aren't so bad after all?

An away performance out of the book. They had scored most of their goals this season in the first half of games. We took what they could throw for 20 to 25 minutes and defended very well. The crowd got frustrated and that got to their players and they started pumping the ball forward and we profited. Wilson could/should have had 2 and Collo was unfortunate not to get one as well.

They started the 2nd half well again but we held firm. Then 2 very good goals for us on the break. A reply from them from what the Dutch refer to as "Sunday shot" which took a deflection that saw it pass JW and into the net. They then hit the bar. Another very good move saw us get a 3rd and the 3 points.

10 games in and what can we take from the season so far? There's a marked difference between the home and the away form. Why? IMO it's because the players we have available are better suited to containing the opposition and hitting them on the break. At home, the oppo come to shut up shop and we have to make the play ourselves. That might actually be on with Bird in the #10 role. He took 15 to get into the game but after that he played well.

Wildsmith - dropped 1 high ball, not at fault for their goal. Solid the rest of the game.
    Nyambe - I like the lad. Concentrates on his defensive role and occasionall joins the attack.
    Nelson - getting better every game and forms a good partnership with Cashin
    Cashin - after a very unCashin-like start to the season he's back to his best
    Forsyth - Got done a couple of times for speed but their winger would do that to most left backs
    Smith - we've seen flashes of a player in him. Yesterday he nailed it all game.
    Fornah - what's not to like? Cracking addition to the squad
    Wilson - good going forward and good in defence. Only down was he really ought to have hit the target with both the header and the shot
    Bird - 1st game back after injury, took time to get into the game but played some lovely balls
    NML - I'm predicting him to be on the bench at Cheltenham and Barks starting. Rotation at its best
    Collo - what a work rate. Another goal to his credit. Good performance

Apart from the NML/Barks rotation we seem to be seeing, I see no reason to change the starting XI for Saturday.

Hourihane. Who's place should he take? Smith and Fornah look like a great pairing at DM and I wouldn't change a thing. Bird? No way
    Waggy. Scored again but shouldn't, barring injuries, replace Bird, Collo or one of the wide players
    Washington. Will have to be patient as 3rd striker in a 1 striker system
    Sibley. Came on very late and was again moved out wide. I'd love to see him get a run at #10 but on yesterday's display he's not going to dislodge Bird
    Vickers. Will get the cup games and have to be patient waiting for JW to cock up
    Bradley. Back 4 will see him a permanent bench warmer. Back 3 might see him creep in but that would be harsh on Foz
    Thompson. When fit, who's place would he take? Bench for him, I'm afraid
    JJ, Elder, Ward, Robinson will all have to wait and hope although JJ might get some late cameos if the oppo has a defence susceptible to pace
    Rooney. I don't expect he'll figure again this season, unfortunately with his injury.

Some selection headaches of the right kind for PW

Excellent summary MA, I think your spot on re the reason for the difference in our home and away form. Good to see Smith and Sibley playing where they are most effective (but don't tell rA), if we can avoid further injuries and get the guy from Arsenal back, we might just have a player who can unlock stubborn defensive teams at home. COYR!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)