+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notts v Wolves Testimonial 1956

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Oh dear, that is more likely with the possibility that someone told me wrong that the 1-1 game was v Wolves.

The May match would have been during the school term and I find it difficult to think my Dad would have had me out that late, whereas the Liverpool game would have been during holidays, though presumably still an evening KO?
    I wish I had this problem with my earliest Notts memories because it would have meant I'd have watched them in the mid-70s and seen the likes of Needham, Carter and Bradd, rather than having to wait until I was nearly 13 in 1982 when everything is very vivid and clear and we were just coming towards the end of the golden era.

Both the Wolves and Liverpool games kicked off at 6:30pm, so finishing around 8:10pm (with the typical 10 minute HT break they had back then and next to no added time) they probably didn't need to turn the floodlights on with dusk an hour or so later.

The only ones I really remember are Bert Loxley and Don Roby.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    What about the wonderful Gerry Carver? The inventive Ron Wylie? Great goalie Jimmy Linton?
    And seeing as we're on a thread linking Notts with Wolves - who could ever forget the combative Peter Russell, probably our most effective centre-half in the 50's and 60's. We signed him from the Wolves but unfortunately his temper came with him and he lost it with a spectator adjacent to the players tunnel after being sent off. Pete made Norman Hunter look effeminate!

He lived in chilwell. The current owner of the house told me that the house used to be owned by Notts

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    I can remember the team when I saw my first match aged 8 in 1959.
    George Smith
    John Butler. Harry Noon
    John Sheridan. Bert Loxley. Gerry Carver
    Don Roby Bob Forrest. Stan Newsham Roy Horobin. Alan Withers

Tony Hateley soon replaced Newsham and Bircumshaw came in for Noon who I think got injured.
    No subs in those days. Happy Times.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I can remember the team when I saw my first match aged 8 in 1959.
    George Smith
    John Butler. Harry Noon
    John Sheridan. Bert Loxley. Gerry Carver
    Don Roby Bob Forrest. Stan Newsham Roy Horobin. Alan Withers

Tony Hateley soon replaced Newsham and Bircumshaw came in for Noon who I think got injured.
    No subs in those days. Happy Times.
    Ditto!! Are you "with us withers"? "Horrorbin". You'd hear George Smith before you reached the ground if you were a few minutes late - no doubt whose ball it was.

We had two Bircumshaws, brothers iirc, Peter on the wing and Tony in defence.

I think Tony was older and made his debut first. In the summer at least one of them worked at the Straw factory in Bulwell owned by Notts chairman at the time Thompson. (I think that was his name).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12