+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notts v Wolves Testimonial 1956

Notts v Wolves Testimonial 1956

The recent fixture v Wolves brought back memories of my first game in 1956. Thanks to this board someone posted that it was a testimonial for Leon Leuty who died of leukemia whilst being captain of Notts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Leuty

I have lost the details of the date the match was played. I seem to recall that it was a 1-1 draw. My Dad treated me to a seat in the Main (?) now Pavis stand about 1/3rd way up and about level with the penalty area which is around where I recently sat with family for the games against York and Boreham Wood.

Can anyone fill in more details please, teams, and any links as I can't find any?

3rd May 1956 Notts 4 Wolves 2

Ok, I've found this link to the programme:

https://willjam100.wixsite.com/wolve...5-6-programmes

Name:  1956 programme v Wolves.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  55.4 KB

But I'm bemused by the scoreline. I know I was young but I'm fairly sure that when I got home 1-1 is what I told my Mum and naively said it was fair as both teams would be happy.

Attendance was 11.617

Billy Wright didn't play.

Notts: Bradley Cruickshanks Groome Loxley Russell Chatham Roby Wylie McCormack Jackson Wills
    Wolverhampton Wanderers: Williams Shorthouse Harris Slater Howells Hooper Broadbent Murray Booth Mullen

Edit: There's a Wolves player missing from their line-up, but I'm going by the OCR

........ Ron Wylie The Notts leader had only to tap the ball through. After 52 minutes Broadbent scored from Booth’s pass Two minutes later Chatham equalised after a mistake by Williams from Roby’s flag-kick Notts assumed complete control when Wills converted a Roby centre County moved smartly in this half and kept Wolves under heavy pressure. Bradley saved brilliantly from Slater’s spot kick McCormack scored County’s fourth goal after 8?’ minutes from a Roby centre
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 14-09-2023 at 10:05 AM.

This might be of interest

https://www.lufctalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6591

players had average wages & lifestyles in those days

Quote Originally Posted by ShannockPie View Post
    This might be of interest

https://www.lufctalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6591

players had average wages & lifestyles in those days
    Thanks for that. I've fairly often been in the churchyard at Attenborough but was unaware of this.

There is a mass grave for the the biggest loss of life from a single accidental explosion during the First World War at Chilwell Shell filling factory:

https://heritagecalling.com/2018/06/...he-home-front/

Name:  Mass_Grave_in_St._Mary's_Church,_Attenborough.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  97.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    There's a Wolves player missing from their line-up, but I'm going by the OCR
    The missing Wolves player was centre-half Showell, who took Billy Wright's place. Wright was with the England team, preparing for England's game against Brazil at Wembley the following week.

Notts scorers:- Jackson, Chatham, Wills, McCormack. (McCormack missed a penalty right at the end)

The game was originally scheduled to be played on February 6th under floodlights but was called off due to flooding following a thaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    But I'm bemused by the scoreline. I know I was young but I'm fairly sure that when I got home 1-1 is what I told my Mum and naively said it was fair as both teams would be happy.
    You must be conflating memories of two separate games.
    On 23rd August 1956 we drew 1-1 with Liverpool, which was also played on a Thursday.

Attendance was 11.617

Billy Wright didn't play.

Notts: Bradley Cruickshanks Groome Loxley Russell Chatham Roby Wylie McCormack Jackson Wills
    Wolverhampton Wanderers: Williams Shorthouse Harris Slater Howells Hooper Broadbent Murray Booth Mullen

Edit: There's a Wolves player missing from their line-up, but I'm going by the OCR

........ Ron Wylie The Notts leader had only to tap the ball through. After 52 minutes Broadbent scored from Booth’s pass Two minutes later Chatham equalised after a mistake by Williams from Roby’s flag-kick Notts assumed complete control when Wills converted a Roby centre County moved smartly in this half and kept Wolves under heavy pressure. Bradley saved brilliantly from Slater’s spot kick McCormack scored County’s fourth goal after 8?’ minutes from a Roby centre
    May my gob be smacked. Reliability of memories

It was a couiple of years later when I first regularly went down to the Lane and Loxley, Roby and I think Russell were in the teams I then saw. Wolves were in those days a top top side. I hadn't realised how long Mullen has been around

Must have been an evening KO under the crappy old floodlights but I don't recall the trip there and back from Hucknall - train most likely.

That doesn't seem a bad attendance for a mid-week event.

You must be conflating memories of two separate games.
    On 23rd August 1956 we drew 1-1 with Liverpool, which was also played on a Thursday.
    Oh dear, that is more likely with the possibility that someone told me wrong that the 1-1 game was v Wolves.

The May match would have been during the school term and I find it difficult to think my Dad would have had me out that late, whereas the Liverpool game would have been during holidays, though presumably still an evening KO?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast