+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ot crime

Ot crime

All these cold case crimes on TV.
    All get solved.

What about Anne dunwell local lass. South Yorkshire finest forgot it.

Didn't know of it so just looked it up. Shocking case. Chief suspect was a Scottish chain smoking van driver so as he'd be around 80 now there's a chance he probably died already, maybe in agony with lung cancer if karma had it's way. I was 3 at the time so it wasn't me.

Immense trouble on my life. 500 mtrs from where I live she went from her grans.
    Went to bust stop across from ball in to go back to Whiston and violently raped and murdered and dumped on a dung heap.
    I will never forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    All get solved.
    Sure.

Fair question though. If you watch them solve a case in rural Cornwall, potentially with fresh evidence (or evidence they can now test with modern techniques) they should be solving ones in S Yorks. Irrespective of the lack of new evidence. Feds ey, useless.

I remember it well(ish) about 1964. I was 13 living in Dalton Parva, we always played in the local woods and knew all the farmers from here and Dalton Magna. I few days after her murder, we was playing in Listerdale wood, on the Hill Climb, and found a bloke laying flat out in the gorse. He'd tried to kill himself with tablets and booze. The ambulance took him away and he survived. He was an out patient from Middlewood. 1 Mates Mother was a nurse and told us all this.
    When the police cold cased this about late 90's I rang them up. Police women came out, took all the details and about 3 months later came back to say thanks and that this bloke was checked out at the time and he was cleared.
    Obviously I haven't put any name on here.
    I remember that, like Cam says, that they were trying to trace the bloke with the van.
    Strange what can remember eh?

Because I held a shotgun licence the Police came and checked my .410 out. Apparently the Panther who was robbing the Post Offices, had left the M18 at Hellaby and he was using a shotgun. About mid 70's.?

My Dad had a Morris Traveller, with the wooden trim. When Barbara Mayo was killed hitch hiking about 70?, they had reports of a Traveller near to where she was found near Chesterfield. They checked all the Travellers out in this area.

They put some real hours in checking all the possibilites out, as they should do. Modern technologies help nowadays. Don't think they got him though.

Got the impression, that possibly from familial DNA the police may know the long dead suspect. That might protect the awful news and suffering that this could cause to the the suspects living family.
    Not sure how they balance that though with the long suffering of Anne dunwells family and the public right to know.
    Put this in the mixer with other SYP issues and it’s possible to see why they don’t want this airing.

Quote Originally Posted by millersrus View Post
    Got the impression, that possibly from familial DNA the police may know the long dead suspect. That might protect the awful news and suffering that this could cause to the the suspects living family.
    Not sure how they balance that though with the long suffering of Anne dunwells family and the public right to know.
    Put this in the mixer with other SYP issues and it’s possible to see why they don’t want this airing.
    Good question on what would they do if they did find out who he was and has died? Imagine finding out you are the son/daughter/grandson.....of the bloke who did it? Imagine what today's social media warriors would do if they were to find out who you was related to?