+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT - Dog Breeds

Friends have a Doberman - they breed them from time to time. As said above they are good people - responsible, calm and well boundaried. Their Doberman knows me and when I visit/see them their dog brings her toys over to me as I've always played with her - she's great company. When the owner was threatened once she let the guy know that he must not get too close - he was wise to stay put and advised to walk away slowly and not stare at her - the only time I've seen her bear her teeth. With kids/other dogs she is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Family found baby dead in garden mauled. Pet dog came with blood on his face, owner shot it, later found big dog in garden that pet dog had killed.
    Sounds remarkably similar to the Legend of Gerlert.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelert

Can't see the point of taking any risk with certain breeds of dogs including these, when there are so many reliable and loving breeds like labs etc. Anyone who lets one of these freaks anywhere near a child is taking a risk that's not just worth taking, however small.... it's so avoidable.

We are going to here months and months of we have an XL and he is a big softy, plays with kids and helps granny cross the road. Any bad dog it is all the owners fault.

The variety of dogs we have are from years of breeding in certain traits, traits that become natural instinct. There are a few working dogs which still get to use these, but rest are pets which are expected to be fully controlled by a few weeks/months of training. Which will depend on how good the trainer is and the dogs ability, not taking into account the dogs life experience.

We have a rescue terrier, I'll take him into the fields let him off lead and 9 times out of 10 he'll come back on command but when his nose takes over his ears he'll go hunting for rabbits/rats, its his instincts. He finds the rabbit hole, leg comes up, then he'll try go down or start digging. Was this trained by me no, was it trained by previous owner, I doubt it as he was house bound. So I keep him on lead most of the time. The only issue with being on lead he can sometimes be reactive (bark) to other dogs off lead who bound around and surround him, but come with the owners call of 'they're alright and wont bite'. I then have to correct my dog from defending his space while the other dogs runs free. Occasionally, you see an owner who spots dog on lead and puts theirs on a lead.

Some of his behaviours are instinct, some are social and some are his own personality as all dogs are different. .

Breeds of dog include terriers/hunters, hound, gun dogs / retrievers, working, herding, toy. There are currently four illegal dog breeds in the UK: the Pit Bull terrier, the Japanese Tosa, the Dogo Argentino and the Fila Brasileiro
    The XL bully an unrecognised breed which is linked back to Pit Bulls??
    Pit Bulls were bred for controlling livestock, but also sport/fighting including fighting bears and holding on to their necks.

So whilst your XL Bully might be a big softy at home around your children, when out in different surrounds they may react differently especially like any dog they want to protect the pack. Which is easier to physically control and which will hurt less a bite from a small terrier vs one from a Pit Bull, XL Bully, one will definitely do less damage.

A lot of people suggesting that it’s the instinct that’s a problem. Every dog has the potential to bite.
    Changes need to be made I agree.
    I keep mine on a lead.
    I have a massive back garden and fence so he can’t get out.
    To simply write off a breed because of poor dog owners is typical of society. Sheep driven propaganda everyone jumps on the bandwagon.
    I’m happy to conform to any suggestions that may come if it’s muzzling my dog so be it or anything else.
    Just been out with him 2 poodles run up barking I’ve had to shout at the owner get them on the lead. But that’s ok cause they’re poodles bless ‘em they don’t mean no harm.
    If every dog owner kept them on a lead while out that would be a start but oh no they’re just let loose with very little recall understanding.
    I won’t be getting rid of mine.

Exactly Back of the Net, cocker poos were on trend during lock down, run around like nutters. Keep dogs on leads in public, may be we need some dog parks like in US.

I’ve got two labs , while I’m walking thro the local park I keep them on the lead , when I get into the fields I have a good look round for other dogs before I let them off the lead . If I see a dog I don’t know I put them back on the lead until we have gone past . I’ve had to boot at least three dogs who have raced over to bark and snarl at mine. Staffordshire bull terriers . Love dogs but I’ll protect my two.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Can't see the point of taking any risk with certain breeds of dogs including these, when there are so many reliable and loving breeds like labs etc. Anyone who lets one of these freaks anywhere near a child is taking a risk that's not just worth taking, however small.... it's so avoidable.
    Tend to agree. All dogs can turn but i doubt if many labs or spaniels have killed anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Tend to agree. All dogs can turn but i doubt if many labs or spaniels have killed anybody.
    Do your research on Labrador dog attacks.

Labs do make list, https://www.nationalworld.com/news/u...umbers-4338205

But majority are bully type dogs, though as article says minor attacks by small dogs are less likely to be reported.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast