+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Table…

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Yes, it's been 4 up 4 down between tiers 3 and 4 since 1958/59, the first season of a national tier 3 plus a new tier 4.

Why they voted for 4 up/down when all levels above continued with 2 up 2 down (until 1973) is a bit of a mystery. Seems a very drastic move to double the amount of teams going through the process in just one corner of the pyramid. We're always glad about it when we're trying to go up from tier 4l but it soon becomes a very unwelcome sight when you're trying to consolidate in tier 3.

Makes more sense to have 4 up 4 down between tiers 5 and 6 where you've got separate regional leagues feeding the one national league.
    For the first 2 years of the play-offs I think it was possible to only have 3 promoted from the 4th tier as in the play-offs there were 3 teams from the 4th tier along with 1 team from the 3rd tier (last relegation place). If that team won the play-offs then only those automatically promoted went up, and only 3 went down. I don't think that happened though, although it was possible.

I think I am right, maybe UTM would confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    For the first 2 years of the play-offs I think it was possible to only have 3 promoted from the 4th tier as in the play-offs there were 3 teams from the 4th tier along with 1 team from the 3rd tier (last relegation place). If that team won the play-offs then only those automatically promoted went up, and only 3 went down. I don't think that happened though, although it was possible.

I think I am right, maybe UTM would confirm?
    Yes that's right, it was the same arrangement at all levels. Charlton finished in the relegation zone of the top flight in 1987 but saved themselves by beating Leeds United, I think they were the only club at any level who did that though.

Had Notts got the win they needed at York on the last day of 1986/87, we'd have been in the 3rd tier Play Offs and would have played 2nd tier Sunderland in the Semi-finals, who Gillingham ultimately beat to send them down.

Did I read on here someone produce the alarming stat around the time of the Sutton game that Notts have never or very rarely been promoted when we've lost the first game of the season?

I wouldn't worry about that stat, this team have already put to bed many similar bogey stats, it means very little now.

Quote Originally Posted by thefulltenyards View Post
    Did I read on here someone produce the alarming stat around the time of the Sutton game that Notts have never or very rarely been promoted when we've lost the first game of the season?
    11 promotion seasons began with a win
    3 began with a draw
    none have begun with a loss.

Always a first time of course, but the figures above suggest there's much more than a random pattern to this. No team that's failed to win either of their opening two games has ever been promoted, so there's clearly a lot to be said for "setting your stall out early".

One table that’s slightly concerning me is the champ and Swansea's position in it, 3rd from bottom and winless.

They are the one club that on the whole target progressive managers and seem to be run ok.
    LW was there a few months with Russell Martin but he left a few months before joining us, no idea why.

I can’t see LW just going to anyone but this one would genuinely worry me if they were in the market for a manager.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 18-09-2023 at 11:47 AM.

Rest assured I am not worried about that stat. I am just happy clapping with what I see on the field, I have been pretty much ever since Luke Williams and Ryan Harley arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    11 promotion seasons began with a win
    3 began with a draw
    none have begun with a loss.

Always a first time of course, but the figures above suggest there's much more than a random pattern to this. No team that's failed to win either of their opening two games has ever been promoted, so there's clearly a lot to be said for "setting your stall out early".
    It's a completely random stat. Those teams were not made up of the same players and the same coaches playing the same identical opposition etc.

Of course it is always interesting and fun to know these long-term trend stats but they are not useful for predicting future outcomes.

3+1 it is then. Must have been a mental block due to the seasons in the conference and only 1 up auto! 4 up seems a sensible amount for all leagues imo.
    Let’s see where we are at Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    One table that’s slightly concerning me is the champ and Swansea's position in it, 3rd from bottom and winless.

They are the one club that on the whole target progressive managers and seem to be run ok.
    LW was there a few months with Russell Martin but he left a few months before joining us, no idea why.

I can’t see LW just going to anyone but this one would genuinely worry me if they were in the market for a manager.
    He left Swansea as he was spending a lot of time away from his family. The fact he signed a long term contract with Notts says to me he wants to put some roots down and can't see him leaving. More likely to end up picking Russell Martin back up after Southampton's last two results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast