+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing to draw, but….

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Just imagine all them flippin football rattles back in the day what a racket they must have been. I wonder who thought they were a great idea for a football match?

Attachment 24920
    Grandad made me one.

People who think drums are good at games obviously weren’t around when there was atmosphere at games

I.e. pre premier league

We’re being held back by Corberran and his ridiculous 3-4-3, it suits nobody, the players look lost, he’s made Wallace look like a pub player, this is very reminiscent of Valerian Ismail and his refusal to change systems, at the moment we are throwing points away, someone is going to give us a right hiding

Forgot to add do I think Corberran is a poor coach, no I don’t I just think the way he wants us to play is better suited to the Premiership with slightly better technical players, the forwards apart we have a decent squad of Championship players who should be doing a lot better if we weren’t being set up as though we were playing Man City every week

I’ve said this many times about 3-4-3.

If you’ve never played football at any competitive level it’s probably hard to understand just how difficult it is.

When I converted from being a striker to being a right back in my mid 30’s I really enjoyed it until our manager decided to play 3-4-3 with me still on the right but as part of a back 3.

Half of the time you don’t know whether to stick or twist, you tend to err on the side of staying a step or two closer to your central centre half, especially if you lack pace which I did and which our back 3 also lack.

So you leave space in the right channel that you’d normally fill as a conventional right back……space easily exploited by opposition.

Also, if your midfield player on your side of the pitch isn’t totally switched on and doing their defensive duties you end up doubly exposed because opposition can overload on your side.

You also need your forward 3 to do their closing down otherwise it gives the opposition defenders time to ping the ball into the full back channels and to join any overload on your side of the pitch.

To play in a back three you have to have pace and athleticism but you also need to be able to read the game really well, I don’t feel we possess these qualities.

I hated playing in a back 3, the difference between being a right back and being a right sided player in a back 3 is massive, it’s chalk and cheese.

I hope this helps any lifelong non players understand the difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    Forgot to add do I think Corberran is a poor coach, no I don’t I just think the way he wants us to play is better suited to the Premiership with slightly better technical players, the forwards apart we have a decent squad of Championship players who should be doing a lot better if we weren’t being set up as though we were playing Man City every week
    The conundrum Corberan has is that we don’t have the right composite of players for a lot of different systems which is the result of no funding. We’re not buying players that suit a system, just who’s available.

Our defence looks as out of place in a 2 as they do in a 3. No one can pass out from defence but we can’t play long to Asante Thomas. It’s a complete mess.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    The conundrum Corberan has is that we don’t have the right composite of players for a lot of different systems which is the result of no funding. We’re not buying players that suit a system, just who’s available.

Our defence looks as out of place in a 2 as they do in a 3. No one can pass out from defence but we can’t play long to Asante Thomas. It’s a complete mess.
    The lack of a forward presence might need some lateral thinking.

I’ve long thought that Bartley is possibly a thought as a target man in these desperate circumstances.

Remember when Paul Warhurst went up front for Blackburn in the 90’s and I think Steve Elliot for Leicester in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.

Jenny Burns for Blues in the 70’s, all of them were very effective.

I’d play 4-2-3-1 and risk lack of mobility for hold up and arial potential.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    The lack of a forward presence might need some lateral thinking.

I’ve long thought that Bartley is possibly a thought as a target man in these desperate circumstances.

Remember when Paul Warhurst went up front for Blackburn in the 90’s and I think Steve Elliot for Leicester in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.

Jenny Burns for Blues in the 70’s, all of them were very effective.

I’d play 4-2-3-1 and risk lack of mobility for hold up and arial potential.

Sounds decent idea! Crazy lumping crosses into Asante when he’s out jumped every time and has no presence!

The bottom line is that Thomas Asante is a decent player but not a lone striker and needs someone to play off. In the situation we are in it’s worth trying someone with height up front with him. I feel that we can create chances but are not converting them and it’s futile expecting Asante to play as the lone striker.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Just imagine all them flippin football rattles back in the day what a54 for the SF v PV racket they must have been. I wonder who thought they were a great idea for a football match?
    ratt
    Attachment 24920
    I've still got the rattle my dad took to SF at Villa Park in 54 v Port Vale.

During WWII rattles were used to warn of a gas attack. I take my rattle in to show the kids when I do Suss ex at War. Works great and makes hell of a row

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)