+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kop

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Fantastic? There are ground regulations for a reason, and for everyone to stand 'unofficially' would probably result in the stand being closed for safety reasons.

Much better for supporters to campaign for official safe standing, but as has been said, would that be allowed given the pitch of the stand?
    No it wouldn’t. Dozens of teams fans stand rather than sit in a seated stadium.
    Watch when we play stags, they’ll have 3000 fans standing up.

How different would football look now if, post Hillsborough, safe standing had been introduced instead of all seaters.
    Thinking back, I reckon the football world was so overwhelmed with relief that the ID card system had been dropped that they were falling over themselves to accept the all-seating plan as a welcome compromise without giving proper thought to an alternate solution.

Had safe standing been introduced early 90s, ticket prices wouldn't have risen so sharply, the game would have maintained a more working class feel - resulting in less middle class interest and lower TV deals - and there'd be less of a gap between the rich and poor clubs.
    Notts were definitely among the clubs more negatively impacted by the all-seater plan.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I wonder if a couple of sections of safe standing would be more appropriate for the JS? Lower pitch innitt. I appreciate we don't need the extra space at the moment, but maybe in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I know they do - I have always wondered what's the point of the ruling that you should sit in the seats, particularly when you look at Premiership teams.

When we had terraced standing, obviously there were no 'seat numbers' so you could stand where you wanted (and move from end to end). People naturally found a place where you could get a decent view. That can't happen though when people stand at their seat.

I am all for having safe standing areas - but I can't see that working as supporters who couldn't get a ticket for that area would just stand where they got tickets anyway. However would it be stewarded? Mixed standing and seating obviously wouldn't work.

Have to say I like sitting at our level, but like standing to watch local lower-league games.

It's an interesting discussion and needs to be decided on I think.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    How different would football look now if, post Hillsborough, safe standing had been introduced instead of all seaters.
    Thinking back, I reckon the football world was so overwhelmed with relief that the ID card system had been dropped that they were falling over themselves to accept the all-seating plan as a welcome compromise without giving proper thought to an alternate solution.

Had safe standing been introduced early 90s, ticket prices wouldn't have risen so sharply, the game would have maintained a more working class feel - resulting in less middle class interest and lower TV deals - and there'd be less of a gap between the rich and poor clubs.
    Notts were definitely among the clubs more negatively impacted by the all-seater plan.
    Agree with what you say apart from TV deals being lower. I don't think it would have made the PL any less greedy which has driven up the amounts TV companies are paying.

I know this is not quite the "atmosphere" that the OP was on about but I think our new, very expensive sound system has been turned down.
    Also, not as much music at half time or after the game.
    If we want to keep those younger fans then keep pumping out those decibels as well as pumping in the goals.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Fantastic? There are ground regulations for a reason, and for everyone to stand 'unofficially' would probably result in the stand being closed for safety reasons.

Much better for supporters to campaign for official safe standing, but as has been said, would that be allowed given the pitch of the stand?
    I suppose for the sake of clarity I should have added it would be fantastic ‘as long as the stand doesn’t get shut down’. I don’t see why it should, how many other stands have been closed for fans standing up?

Safe standing would of course be the ideal outcome for those not keen on sitting.

I would have no problem with safe standing areas, maybe the top half of the Kop? but some people actually enjoy sitting. As a short arse I well remember struggling to get a view when standing especially with the gates we are now seeing & I feel certain that part of the reason we are seeing more families attending is that parents feel more confident about safety & the kids being able to see the game.

Why do people have a problem sitting down at football matches? The atmosphere is great in the Kop and the noise is deafening. If people in the Pavis can't hear it that is doen to acoustics or wind direction.

I sit in the Pavis, F block and the Kop sounds really good to me, i’m fact that end of the Pavis are now very much joining in.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast