+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Injury situation?

Injury situation?

What are we doing wrong? 1 recignised cb on the pitch at the end yday. Humphries likely to be out 6 weeks now. No cm cover on bench to yday.

I dont buy mts cant afford cds. Take a gamble on one of sick notes maybe but 3? Should have used that money to get a fit one even if on loan.

How can we have a chance of staying in champ with half knacked squad all season?

We do shoot ourselves in foot prob literally by sound of things

roly, injuries can occur to any player on any day, week, month in any season. It so happened that it was Cameron's turn yesterday and what a massive loss he's going to be. This young man has a great future and hopefully with us for a long time.

Our major concern was going with who can only be described as seasoned players, and all three are out. I can't recall hearing/reading anywhere how long Hall is out for and he's the better player of the three. We just have to hope they are getting back to being fit asap.

At the time of signing them, it was a massive gamble but it fit the budget Taylor had to work with. Hindsight's a wonderful thing and if only Taylor knew what was to happen to all three of them, then he wouldn't have signed them. No one has that crystal ball to look into and foresee things so you roll with your commitment on who you've signed and hope it all goes well, so far it hasn't but things will improve and hopefully soon.
    Last edited by Brin; 24-09-2023 at 09:06 AM.

The problem is even if we get any cds back next week, would they last very long before being out again? Would they match fit for 90mins anyway? Do other clubs in this league have decimation of a whole line of players like we do? Any egs cos i cant think of any. And no it aint just bad luck this shambles has gone on for years and i can honestly not remember owt like it in watching the millers for 60 years. Can you?

Your positivity is commendable brin and i hope you are right but i would be surprised if the sick notes get 20 games between em this season. If that was to be true, hello div 1

Rotherham in League One - fully fit squad with individual players generally of better quality than other clubs.

Rotherham in Championship - squad of high risk individuals who, on their day, can be Championship standard but are likely to be sickbay bound for much of the season.

You pays ya money, you take ya choice!

Brin I agree with Roly it’s not hindsight I mentioned on one of the other threads why did we sign all 3? MT intimated it’s because of our standing in the league and the £ we can pay we’ve got these players surely we didn’t need all 3 and presumably they are all on considerable £, why not take a chance on 1 and use the other £ on an up and coming league 1 player/ young starlet from the Prem, it’s utter madness and to think we could go down with probably our best squad is bonkers
    I can only liken it to building a house you’ve got a load of bricks and windows but no bloody cement to tie it together
    I do want MT to do well but his arrogance and stubbornness will cost him and probably sooner than he thinks, it has echoes of dare I say it Alan Stubbs with his attitude it’s the lack of numbers that’s killing us only 8 games in we could have had more points look at Sunderland away and you could say all our home games to date, there’s no end in sight we got Bramall back yesterday only to lose Humphries
    Odoffin missing again no date for Morrison!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    roly, injuries can occur to any player on any day, week, month in any season. It so happened that it was Cameron's turn yesterday and what a massive loss he's going to be. This young man has a great future and hopefully with us for a long time.

Our major concern was going with who can only be described as seasoned players, and all three are out. I can't recall hearing/reading anywhere how long Hall is out for and he's the better player of the three. We just have to hope they are getting back to being fit asap.

At the time of signing them, it was a massive gamble but it fit the budget Taylor had to work with. Hindsight's a wonderful thing and if only Taylor knew what was to happen to all three of them, then he wouldn't have signed them. No one has that crystal ball to look into and foresee things so you roll with your commitment on who you've signed and hope it all goes well, so far it hasn't but things will improve and hopefully soon.
    I don’t agree, it is an easy comment and to be honest a lazy one to keep blaming budget. The budget is a constraint it is not a blocker, £30k a week on those 3 players, was the liability the club took on, that means the club allocated that amount of our budget to those three players, you do not do business financing by assuming the liability might not be required to be met, in this case due to the clauses around games played, you work to a worse case scenario. Adding to that we knew that CB was a high risk area and we sent out our only fit reserve option on loan. We know that injuries last year nearly cost us big time, but we still seem to have addressed only a few of the areas that could have been the cause, I hope the business side of the club is investigating it and seeking external help, they are successful businessmen so I have faith they are not leaving it to the incumbents. We have taken two lads from premier league clubs on loan a CB should have been sourced as a high priority or as someone else mentioned taken a younger player from the lower leagues. We put all our eggs in one basket and got it wrong, and deflecting the blame is not something that makes the management look good.

I seem to recall that the 3 injury prone defenders didn’t sign for us until late summer
    I’m sure we tried to sign more reliable players but they turned us down. Might have been for the money or because we are a very, very unfashionable club and they were never going to sign

So MT might have been left with 2 options.
    Sign lower standard , fit players who may or may not have made cship standard. McCart May fit into this category as MT doesn’t appear keen to retain his services. Sub standard players will lead to the same outcome that being too many goals conceded

Or we sign cship standard players who no one else wants at our level
    In summary MT chose what he thinks is the best over a season, that being 25 games as back up to the first choice CB,s
    So fans asking why we didn’t sign more reliable defenders may not be as straightforward as budget

This is what I understood from his interview yesterday

Allowing a fully fit McCart go on loan seems madness, then and now,from what I've seen he was no worse than other CB"s we have, and least he can run.
    Also he excluded Bola from the 25 in favour of 4 or 5 injured players, don't get that at all.

I dont buy into defenders turning us down argument. If players want to be guaranteed a game every week a defender will know he will be needed playing for us in the champ. A forrud may argue he wunt get chances to score with us in the champ so not joining is understandable.

The comment that we could go down with our best squad for ages on paper is so true. Just a bit of foresight needed by mt not money. Fail to plan plan to fail.

If i thought that at last morrison, peltier or hall would at last get a run of games fair enough, just ONE of em, i would be happier but i just dont see it happening.

Its a shame we could have really made a go of it this season...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast