+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Not many. Ryan Taylor think he was out of contract when he left.
    He was sold for about 200k to Wednesday night's opponents

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    He was sold for about 200k to Wednesday night's opponents
    A few years before that, there was Phil Barnes?

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Over the past 20 years. How many academy players have we sold for money. Wiles is the obvious one. How many more?
    Chris Sedgwick, 19 years ago.

Mark Oxley was sold to Hull for a rumoured 150k before he’d played a game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Jerry Yates?

Somehow in the 60s and 70s we produced good young players - Gru mentioned Breck, Finney, Crawford but forgot 3 of the best, the 3 Trevors - Swift, Womble & Phillips

But in those days of maximum wage, most players apprenticed to their hometown club unless they were really special, in which case the player's parents could start a bidding war - Alick Jeffrey's dad was a Rotherham fan but Donny came in with big bucks which they would have recovered many times over if Alick's move to Man U had gone ahead before his broken leg - certainly back in the 1950s most players, especially younger ones didn't have their own cars and carried on living at home - if you were on public transport, you didn't want to be going too far to training everyday and players at a successful Div 3 N club earned more, thanks to getting more win bonuses, then those playing for massive teams like Wednesday, 2 divisions higher but often struggling....... plus ca change....

We took Yates from the Doncaster Academy - I misremembered Shaun Barker - I thought we got a fee from Derby for him. I forgot all about him going to Blackpool for free before Derby.

In Ronnie's first stint we had a decent amount of lads making the first team,some very successfully, so either, he was more prepared to give them a chance, or we just had a better youth set up then.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    In Ronnie's first stint we had a decent amount of lads making the first team,some very successfully, so either, he was more prepared to give them a chance, or we just had a better youth set up then.
    Over the past 50 years and especially the past 20 years the chances of a 'local lad' making it as a professional footballer let alone at Championship level have diminished immeasurably simply due to the fact that players from all corners of the globe are now integral in the leagues, especially at the top levels. It's basically Darwin's survival of the fittest exhibiting itself on the English footballing stage.

my point about a good youth system is that you can sell some of them on as a revenue source wasn't saying Rotherham do that, it was highlighting a trend that exists in wider football and by us not have a secondary/support system within the club that can produce players at the right level we are missing out on an opportunity that a number of managers have highlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    my point about a good youth system is that you can sell some of them on as a revenue source wasn't saying Rotherham do that, it was highlighting a trend that exists in wider football and by us not have a secondary/support system within the club that can produce players at the right level we are missing out on an opportunity that a number of managers have highlighted.
    But when you look at who we have produced over the past 20 years is ot worth it?.
    How much would it cost per season?
    How many young players would we produce to get the benefit?
    TS is a very good business man. I'm guessing if there was money to be made going down the academy route he would have taken it. Don't you think so?

In the UK I think there's about 50 plus academys.
    Outside the prem league clubs and private academys (Beckham/Glynn hoddle ect) theres about 15 lower league teams.
    Most TBF are struggling derby, sheff wed, Charlton, reading ect

TS is relying on others having good academy's, top flight clubs invest millions into youth systems, and have tens to hundreds of players across U23 and down. Very few make it all the way to the first team, that is where we need to be sharp at picking up players that they have developed and then released. The only issue we have for the 25 man squad is that we need to pick from the best u19 players so that they can be registered as club developed and not count to the 25man squad, though everyone else is also looking for those players.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast