+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barra away….

And was the place rammed with red squirrels bdb? That many they came running to you begging for food before heading to the bird tables and picnic tables?

Can’t remember as was about 15 years ago tbh… was not a 5* resort so never been back..

The staff complained of their quarters whilst we were there to be fair.. not what they are used to in BDB Mansion 😀.

Perhaps one may sneak in on a day pass whilst you are in the area?

Todays the day the barra derails NCFC top spot 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    I think that you are mistaking my personal wealth with bdb’s,I looked into booking three days there and neatly passed out at the price,£1149 but dropping to £845 in November and don’t think thst I’m falling for the Cumbrian buttsh1t of the place being rammed with red squirrels either,”they came to your begging for food” my arse,it even says on the Center Parks website that they are shy elusive creatures and best to book a walk out with a guide to see one and Gods knows how much that would set me back
    If I’m honest crusha I’m quite disappointed that you’ve jumped on the red squirrel bandwagon by declaring that they are as common as tourists in Cumbria and can only surmise that you either work for the Cumbrian Tourist Board or on commission from Center Parks
    It does sound a bit far fetched I understand, but this story is actually true and really did happen - it was the same holiday I seen that Pine Martin and the three Tawny Owls in the tree, got photos of them somewhere too but they were taken by my ex. The ones of the Owls were the worst as they were photos of a tree with a few specks that I would argue were birds.

The place was full of people who thought that they were 'entitled' when we were there, some proper arsehole, Scottish bloke he was, actually stormed into our lodge with an entourage in his blue suit and white woolen roll neck jumper, he was in a right old rage and demanded we move our car as his BMW was blocked and if we didn't move it then he would move it for us! I remember being really ill at the time as I had just been in hospital for a month but I still had the energy to pick up a chair and go at them - don't think they expected it and they ran off quicker than they came. The security were called though and they frankly didn't give a **** and said it was even because of the chair incident.

No idea what the place cost to visit twenty years ago but we knew someone and paid about forty pounds for the break, the incident did however leave us with a sour taste in our mouths though and could have went back loads more times on the cheap but declined.

I have been trying to think though, I moved to the midlands when I was around twenty and when I had left I hadn't seen a red squirrel in my life, or a gray one for that matter and I am a keen bird spotter who would walk miles when younger for my hobby, in the midlands however the gray ones were rife and I got a bit giddy when I first spotted one and must have looked like a spectator in a zoo, got used to seeing them everywhere after this, we even had one visiting the garden at one point as it seemed to like the corkscrew willow tree for some reason. The ones in the Center Parcs however seemed unnaturally tame as I am not exaggerating when I say that they would naturally come to you for food, think of new tenants in those lodges every few days with food to attract them, they weren't fazed at all by anything - although I reckon that Center Parcs will obviously play this down as if they say that they have loads of red squirrels and you don't see one then you will be hacked off with them for false advertising or they could be hibernating when you are there or something.

I have seen red squirrels, about five in total in the last eight years in Cumbria so they are about, although like most British wildlife, you see them unexpectedly and are totally unprepared to take a photo before they are off again - a bit like the common hoodwink.
    Last edited by crushalime; 07-10-2023 at 12:49 PM.

New Footy Chant:

Chalky wheely went to Barra & the wheel fell off

Barrow, Barrow, Barrow 🤣🤣🤣

It was a cracking game they claimed on the radio.

Unless the opposition score late on I generally come away satisfied with a point from away games.

I have just noticed that Mavis is 94 years old, you mucky get Chalky

Quote Originally Posted by crushalime View Post
    it was the same holiday I seen that Pine Martin and the three Tawny Owls in the tree, got photos of them somewhere too but they were taken by my ex. The ones of the Owls were the worst as they were photos of a tree with a few specks that I would argue were birds.

I have been trying to think though, I moved to the midlands when I was around twenty and when I had left I hadn't seen a red squirrel in my life, or a gray one for that matter and I am a keen bird spotter who would walk miles when younger for my hobby, in the midlands however the gray ones were rife and I got a bit giddy when I first spotted one and must have looked like a spectator in a zoo, got used to seeing them everywhere after this .
    I’ve never seen a pine martin in my life and doubt that I ever will so I’m hugely jealous of that but a red squirrel is the one animal that I truly would love to see,as you mentioned grey squirrels are everywhere here and very friendly especially if you have food on you to share,I can go to my local park about a ten minute walk away and guarantee seeing one within 15 minutes of sitting down,red squirrels are almost a myth to me as I’ve honestly drove hundreds and hundreds of miles to see one but to no avail

Quote Originally Posted by crushalime View Post
    It was a cracking game they claimed on the radio.

Unless the opposition score late on I generally come away satisfied with a point from away games.

I have just noticed that Mavis is 94 years old, you mucky get Chalky
    It was a very good game indeed but for some reason Notts switched off once the second half started and Barrow took their chance,the ground was nowhere as bad as I imagined and sure it feels like a non league ground but I like that about football clubs,who wants to go to a McStadium just on the edge of town if you can visit one with more character,didn’t care much for Barrow itself though tbf

Back in Nottingham now as I had to make some last minute arrangements last night but there’s some wonderful scenery driving to the ground so didn’t go straight home,couldn’t spot Mavis though and I even called in to a couple of local newsagents just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    I’ve never seen a pine martin in my life and doubt that I ever will so I’m hugely jealous of that but a red squirrel is the one animal that I truly would love to see,as you mentioned grey squirrels are everywhere here and very friendly especially if you have food on you to share,I can go to my local park about a ten minute walk away and guarantee seeing one within 15 minutes of sitting down,red squirrels are almost a myth to me as I’ve honestly drove hundreds and hundreds of miles to see one but to no avail
    The Pine Martin was a lucky spot of being in the right place at the right time as it was in the land next door to Center Parcs - saying this, your best bet to see them for free I imagine would be to turn up around Center Parcs and have a look around as they are definitely up there, perhaps that land next door if you can get in.

It was the three owls bit that shocked me the most when I was there, it isn't a very natural place though really as there are shedloads of people most of the year making it a rather loud place at times with folk having fun and the likes so just like say a robin, they just adapt and you are in a forest so I guess the wildlife feels safe to an extent as there are plenty of places to hide and their predators will be kept in control unlike in the real wild forests.

I imagine most people visiting Center Parcs will have similar if not better tales of what they seen, if you really wanted to see a red squirrel then you would find more than one there if you really looked, seasonal of course.

There was feeders for them on the patio bit of the lodges.

The lodges by the way were complete dream homes I have to say, like I imagine an American house to be with big grand rooms and space - 'I wish my house was like this' would cross your mind more than once and 'If I won the lottery' is another.
    Last edited by crushalime; 08-10-2023 at 04:39 PM.

How did you find GOS Chalky, I hope that you enjoyed your time there.

Sorry that you didn't find Mavis on your quest, maybe at 94 she is too old to be serving in the shop and you need to ask if she is out the back resting, you must have been sweating and gripping hold of the tube of lube in your pocket every time that you entered a shop hoping to find the Golden Goose.

Julie Goodyear is a sprightly 81 so maybe hunt her down, I would guess that she lives up north somewhere, and to be fair - she had better jugs than Mavis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)