+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: That Schar goal!

That Schar goal!

I am struggling to think of a greater moment in my football following life than the Schar goal against PSG. I've watched it about 500 times.

Not only is it a genuinely awesome goal, but it was a moment that confirmed the famous victory and confirmed our new status.

i went mad when Miggy scored, but the Schar goal was the one i most enjoyed. It took away all the nerves and left nothing but sheet enjoyment.

Best footy night I have ever experienced and that goal may be the best moment.

https://youtu.be/cyo4rmpovdg
    Last edited by GBruno; 06-10-2023 at 07:48 PM.

Was mad! Dare I suggest for the older contributors amongst us that were around for Barcelona, this was even better, as it should just be a hint of what’s to come…

I just love all these "experts" saying he couldn't do it again if he tried. . . lads, lasses. . . he does it generally 2 oe 3 times a season

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I just love all these "experts" saying he couldn't do it again if he tried. . . lads, lasses. . . he does it generally 2 oe 3 times a season
    0-1 v Forest last season's opening match. Our first goal.of the season was a Schar rockat

Quote Originally Posted by GBruno View Post
    I am struggling to think of a greater moment in my football following life than the Schar goal against PSG. I've watched it about 500 times.

Not only is it a genuinely awesome goal, but it was a moment that confirmed the famous victory and confirmed our new status.

i went mad when Miggy scored, but the Schar goal was the one i most enjoyed. It took away all the nerves and left nothing but sheet enjoyment.

Best footy night I have ever experienced and that goal may be the best moment.

https://youtu.be/cyo4rmpovdg
    The final nail in PSGs coffin, just to rub a bit of salt into the already gaping wound!

Agreed.

Only makes it sweeter that he, as a central defender, won the ball high up on the pitch, made a pass, received the ball again and then BAM. This goal, and victory, will go down in history, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Agreed.

Only makes it sweeter that he, as a central defender, won the ball high up on the pitch, made a pass, received the ball again and then BAM. This goal, and victory, will go down in history, that’s for sure.
    Indeed, how many CBs would be half way inside the opposition half looking to nick the ball, play a cheeky one two and look for top bins from 35 yrs? Very very few.

To be able to actually be able to pull it off even fewer!

The lad is class, always has been a quality ball playing midfielder.

We had a brief moment of time we had Schar playing along side Florian Lejeune if I remember right. Bruce soon ruined that prospectively mouthwatering partnership.

I was around for Barcelona, but this beats it for me.

Also, we all know Schar has this quality. I remember them were saying that pass to Joelinton against Spurs was a fluke. Do they actually watch football?

I was lucky enough to be back in the country to watch the game with my sons (6,8,16) knew i couldn't get a ticket but made a genuine massive effort to get back to my family for this game! All had our tops on, pizza ordered for half time, plenty of pop, beer, wine and snacks,
    even the family from next door came over to watch (we have one of those projectors)

Schar's goal was one of those moments i will never forget, don't get me wrong, i was wasted but as soon as he hit it, it went in slow motion for me and i just knew it was in.

My oldest son is one of the fifa brigade, never really played football all his life, but seems to know everything about the game because of a video game, he thought i was stupid when i said we would beat them easily.

My little ones were the same as me, knew we would win and actually belong to a team lol

The game is one of those moments that will be referred to, for years to come. A "where were you" kind of question.

Everyone remembers the Barcelona game and this game will be the same. Look at how far we have come in 2 years, imagine where we will be in another 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by TANYA_ View Post
    Everyone remembers the Barcelona game and this game will be the same. Look at how far we have come in 2 years, imagine where we will be in another 2 years
    Exactly.

We are so well run from the boardroom, with the capital / financial backing. Dan Ashworth is a complete genius, as are Eddie Howe & Mad Dog in the dugout.

This is why we are getting all this 'Eddie's not a big enough name for the Saudi's Bollox!'

The 'football people' all know we are on a par with the best run teams in the land, in Europe for that matter & the PiF have done what they always do. Pay top dollar for the very very professionals in their given field.

In 2 yrs we'll have gone through 4 more transfer window cycles. A good long run in the Champions League - Q-finals for example and qualifying again next year will open the flood gates in terms of recruitment. We have been hamstrung a bit by FFP & some players man have been a little sceptical of our consistency. 4-1, top of our UCL group, something like 5 wins in all comps since the 3 losses shows we are consistent.

People like Sesko, if we go back in for him would simply jump at the chance. I don't see why he would chose a club like Salford Swamp FC over us.

We have a stable manager and a clear identity as a club. How many others can say the same?

Not many!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)