+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: SPFL TRUST TROPHY / Rd 4 / PETERHEAD (A)

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I would wager even the regular players don't really care about this competition. I just don't see any benefit in it, play your first team, and you lose, how does that help morale or momentum? You almost have to win to justify it, and even then, nobody cares, you might also end up getting a home league game rearranged to accommodate it, so your home crowd can take a hit. You have the huge risk of losing a moult or Gallagher, and risking winning the league, plus you learn absolutely nothing, why not use it to test the squad, by all means try and win it, but nobody's going to bat an eyelid if you lose.
    Pretty much spot on

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I would wager even the regular players don't really care about this competition. I just don't see any benefit in it, play your first team, and you lose, how does that help morale or momentum? You almost have to win to justify it, and even then, nobody cares, you might also end up getting a home league game rearranged to accommodate it, so your home crowd can take a hit. You have the huge risk of losing a moult or Gallagher, and risking winning the league, plus you learn absolutely nothing, why not use it to test the squad, by all means try and win it, but nobody's going to bat an eyelid if you lose.

Seems to be the consensus across the board.
    Has anybody seen any comments from Goodwin why he persists with this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by An old shed boy View Post

Seems to be the consensus across the board.
    Has anybody seen any comments from Goodwin why he persists with this approach.
    he prob dosnt want his players not having a game for 2 weeks

Peterhead 0 Dundee United 2 - Goodwin's reaction

Jim Goodwin discusses United's win at Peterhead in the SPFL Trust Trophy. - External Link

I've not seen anything but benefit from the two games so far, kept a few sharp and got a few game time, suppose it depends how the team is come the next round, might come at a time where we don't want to risk players and he might adapt it more then

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    I've not seen anything but benefit from the two games so far, kept a few sharp and got a few game time, suppose it depends how the team is come the next round, might come at a time where we don't want to risk players and he might adapt it more then
    Thought Mochrie was good on Saturday would like to see him play more. Tilson not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    So you didn't see Docherty holding his leg after he came off then? Benefit right enough

I just think the unessary risks far outweigh any benefits which are minimal in comparison. I could get it in the first game perhaps as team was still finding its feet and gelling, but not a quarter of the season in. Also think we might learn more from testing out deinham and Duffy etc... Rather than having to pitch them in pretty much untested in an emergency, though I think they have possibly been written off.

Doc's leg had a good few strips of Kinesiology tape on it. If he was 100% that would not be required. I know some players like to use it for a while after an injury, but, really? In that game?

Personally I am raging about this.

Who cares about winning these matches - not me.

Bitter experience last time under McKinnon when diddy cup win meant we were tired by Hamilton play off

I’d play youngsters as then they get a bit of experience.

Cannot understand why playing Moult, Docherty etc

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)