+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Seeing a Team Bus

Seeing a Team Bus

The best is spotting one on the motorway I saw the Man utd one back in the early 70s and caught sight of Best and Bobby Charlton through the rear window of the coach, I'm sure they were playing cards.

And it often seems old fashioned that these modern players, with their super flashy cars, are still having to clamber onto a club coach taking them to the game. Some of these clubs have specially branded coaches whilst most have a sliver of perspex against the windscreen that reads 'OFFICIAL COACH OF OXFORD UNITED' or whoever.

I wonder what the official WBA coach looks like? Wonder what the players are talking about on these humdrum, 100 mile plus journeys?

I would be one of the many gathered on Halfords Lane to get a glimpse of opposing players arriving and at times appropriately abusing them.

I saw the Albion coach arrive t the Hawthorns before the Sheffield Wednesday match, presumably they had been at the training ground. It was a nice modern, flashy black affair, silver lettering, with black reflective windows. We watched the players disembark, big lads, most of them; not many small players in the game these days.

1969 coming home from the FA Cup semi final at Hillsborough the Albion team coach was behind us and Alan Ashman was at the front talking to the players. He gave us a wave but the players faces told the story.

Many years ago (mid - late 60's) we had the use of the "branded" Albion team bus - that was the one with the baggies logo on the side - for a youth club trip to Mallory Park race circuit of all places. I think it was actually owned by Hills travel - Thats a name from the past (at least it definately wasn't Sealand air - because we got there and back without breaking down) All very plush with comfy seats and tables (for the card players obviously)

Me and my old mate missed the coach back from a night game Halifax in the Texico cup , so we started to thumb a lift a lift .
    We had no luck for the Ist mile, then at the traffic light was the Albion team coach, I waved my Albion scarf my mate waved his thumb for a lift, door came and the driver said jump in we had a lift back to West Brom.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Me and my old mate missed the coach back from a night game Halifax in the Texico cup , so we started to thumb a lift a lift .
    We had no luck for the Ist mile, then at the traffic light was the Albion team coach, I waved my Albion scarf my mate waved his thumb for a lift, door came and the driver said jump in we had a lift back to West Brom.
    It was the Watney cup 1971

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)