+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pie - A Notts County Fanzine

The Pie - A Notts County Fanzine

Name:  thepielogo.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  92.7 KB

Anyone in here remember The Pie fanzine? I've been doing some work with Jim Cooke and Steve Westby who were pivotal in it in the early days. I am happy to report that we are now planning to 'digitally archive' their back catalogue from 1987-2007.

If any of you are wondering what 'digitally archive' means, it basically means that by next summer we'll have made all of the old back issues available online for Notts fans (and anyone else who is interested) to read easily and for free forever. They'll also end up being added to the digital catalogues of the British Library and the University of Nottingham's local collection.

I've been going through a lot of the old print issues recently and it's good fun reading about Geoff Pike, Andy Legg and Devon White again after all these years.

More info about what we're up to is here (and yes, we're doing the same for a Forest fanzine as part of the project too).
    https://leftlion.co.uk/features/2023...-brian-clough/

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who contributed to the Pie back in the day. Or indeed anyone who was part of the other Notts fanzines.

Anyone who wants to get in touch should email fanzines(at)leftlion.co.uk or join this Facebook group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/3185474638415690

I used to do some of the drawings for The Pie still have them all somewhere and lots of the fanzines bought from the wonderful Selectadisc of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Magpike View Post
    I used to do some of the drawings for The Pie still have them all somewhere and lots of the fanzines bought from the wonderful Selectadisc of course!
    I think Selectadisc must have been where I bought The Pie, I don't remember seeing it on sale outside the ground but that's probably because we always got there early to get our favoured spot on a crush barrier.
    Would be very interesting to see the early editions, I didn't realise it existed for the first year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpike View Post
    Drop me a line when you get chance mate. Trying to track down as many old contributors as possible. fanzines(at)leftlion.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I think Selectadisc must have been where I bought The Pie, I don't remember seeing it on sale outside the ground but that's probably because we always got there early to get our favoured spot on a crush barrier.
    Would be very interesting to see the early editions, I didn't realise it existed for the first year or so.
    Yeah, Selectadisc was managed by Jim who also co-founded The Pie. Although they also stocked a lot of other clubs fanzines too.

I definitely remember seeing them sold outside the ground. I think they heard "Is that the programme?" quite a lot...

Cheers just messaged you

Would be good to have the matchday programmes scanned from the 1960s and 1970s. There's a Swindon website which has all of theirs (home and away) fully scanned as downloadable PDF's up to the 1990s at least, a Luton Town site has a lot of theirs scanned as PDFs too.

Edit: Here's a link to the 1973/74 Notts v Swindon programme....
    http://www.stfcnewspapers.co.uk/imag...don%20Town.pdf

You can get to the other games via this page...
    http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Hea...y#MatchDetails

An amazing site.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 13-10-2023 at 01:10 PM.

Used to buy outside the ground, fantastic read, Forest finder general LOL

Sounds an excellent project for both clubs, will be really keen to see the outcomes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast