+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost of living crisis, my ar5e!

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post

Dunno why clubs in UK cannot have massive banks of safe-standing terraces as in Europe.

Damn sure ER could give the 25,000 safe-standing "Dortmund Wall" a run for its money if allowed behind the goal.
    It is permitted in a limited way from last season but not quite in the way it happens in Germany.

Suspect the authorities are frightened of what football might return to here.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    I'm sure that there are a great many differences between the way the PL, Championship etc are governed and the costs of tickets is just one of them. It would be wonderful to have at least some of the aspects you refer included in such governance, but it will never be. Turkeys aren't ever likely to vote for Christmas, and the English leagues are dominated by owners (groups or individuals) who will never relinquish the absolute power they have in favour of the kind of real supporter engagement and/or conditionality regarding when and/or if they can play in such leagues.

Just a simple decision by LUFC to act unilaterally to apply lower prices for away supporters across EVERY game, rather than the horse-trading such as that which has, eventually, resolved the Dudds game furore, is well within the clubs ability to take, and was all I was suggesting when I started the thread. Simple, relatively low cost, good for all fans of LUFC and beyond.

Anything of the sort you mention would take forever (if it ever happened) and would need a wholesale restructuring of how the game is goverened in Engaldn at least. Never going to happen, unfortunately.
    My Mum showed me this today. Championship fan groups call for EFL away ticket price cap. Football Supporters' Association
    https://thefsa.org.uk/news/champions...ket-price-cap/

My Mum showed me this today. Championship fan groups call for EFL away ticket price cap. Football Supporters' Association
    https://thefsa.org.uk/news/champions...ket-price-cap/
    "Great minds think alike"? (I know, the.follow on is "and fools seldom differ"). I'd like to think the great minds are at work here.

A further example of greed on the part of our new owners;

https://motleedsnews.com/news/leeds-...-announcement/

So Tractor fans will be paying around 35% more to follow their team to ER than Leeds fans did in August, and the ability to charge what they want for away fans tickets is made pissible by Leeds insisting that the game is category B!!!!!

Been pleased with the on-pitch performance but remain disgusted and embarrassed by the behaviour of the Board/owners.

If you have room on your wall chart add it to the endless typically ill informed grievances you seem to bear against the world.

You might not get bored of moaning but …..

They've been given 2,018 ER tickets.
    Ipswich announced their fans will be offered discounted coach travel for the away game at Leeds United.

They also did'nt agree for a reciprocal pricing deal for our 2000 fans back in August, for the record.
    https://www.leedsunited.com/news/tic...ipswich-town-a

Ipswich Town v Leeds United(A)
    https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2023/dec...ds-united--a-/

Ipswich announced their fans will be offered discounted coach travel for the away game at Leeds United.

They also did'nt agree for a reciprocal pricing deal for our 2000 fans back in August, for the record.

C’mon MT you must know by now that inconvenient facts don’t count …. 🤔🤣😎

Perhaps not MT, but their ticket price to away fans was already much lower than that charged by Leeds for the return. Leeds will have had a view on that then, and have confirmed that stance now.

Just to put the "benefit" into real life terms, 2000 (approx) x £16 = £32,000. So for the sake of less than a single weeks wage for some of our 1st team, we thumb the nose at Ipswich and store up a higher price for away fans who travel to the fans next season.

Petty, mean-spirited, greedy and stupid.

Living across the pond I’m not familiar with the geographic differences in the UK. However, I’m guessing that with a name like the “!tractor boys” the cost of Living and expenses are much lower than a big city? Leeds is the 4th largest city.

That would be like expecting to go to a sporting event in Gilbertsville Kentucky and paying the same amount in Atlanta as Gilbertsville.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Living across the pond I’m not familiar with the geographic differences in the UK. However, I’m guessing that with a name like the “!tractor boys” the cost of Living and expenses are much lower than a big city? Leeds is the 4th largest city.

That would be like expecting to go to a sporting event in Gilbertsville Kentucky and paying the same amount in Atlanta as Gilbertsville.
    Sorry m8, the assumption isn't even near close.

You would need around £3,579.0 in Leeds to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with £3,500.0 in Norwich (closest comparable city where results are available, and assuming you rent in both cities), so very little difference, certainly not the 35% or so extra that it will cost Ipswich fans to visit LUFC compared to our fans going to Ipswich.

In any event, the boards decision is nothing to do with anything so scientific as them doing an analysis of cost of living comparisons between the two locations. I lived in Wakefield, about 15 miles from Leeds, for the first half of my life, and still try to visit relatives when possible. It's allowed me to maintain some degree of awareness of costs to do "stuff" (buy fish and chips, go to the cinema, buy a pint etc), closer to the real world than anyone occupying a board position at LUFC for sure. The cost of living for normal people has continued to rise, and to do so everywhere, irrespective of where in the country you might happen to be.

That being so, my beef with the absence of a rational agreement between ALL Championship clubs wrt away game ticket prices is that they collectively have it in their power to reduce the costs of fans following their team away from home, yet through a failure of leadership and an apparent absence of common sense, they have failed to do so, leading to the Leeds v Ipswich situation referred to in the link in post #24.

Even so, LUFC could redeem themselves (in my eyes at least, not that that matters) is to agree that they would charge away team supporters at most, no more than our fans have been charge for the reciprocal match. Ideally I'd like to see them agree to a cap on away ticket prices, as applies to the PL, irrespective of what other clubs do, take a lead on making away game participation just a little less expensive, given that BEFORE buying a ticket, fans have to dedicate a fair amount of money to attendance (I'd suggest somewhere in the region of £100, for travel, "hospitality", accommodation for some of the longer trips).

And lets not forget that for the WHOLE season, if the £32k Leeds will "earn" from the Ipswich ticket sales compared to the cost of the tickets Leeds fans bought was to be applied to every home game, Leeds would benefit to the tune of £736,000, which would buy us what? there is such a thing as goodwill, even in professional football, and LUFC could generate a huge amount, for what is really an inconsequential sum of money comparatively speaking.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)