+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Mansfield Town FC 14.10.23 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by OchPie View Post
    I actually think 80% of the time it was a fair tactic as they were choking off our ball-players and leaving few options. Our few best moves came from quick distribution from Slocombe.

When the players tried to pass forward and there wasn't anything on, the ball came back with interest. The passes were cut out and they broke back in numbers.

I did think our off the ball movement looked much less impressive - I think Mansfield had a lot to do with that.
    Really frustrating when we did have opportunities we went backwards and Nemane one on one second half went down like a cheap whore he clearly had the pace to go on, we tend to look for cheap free kicks look at Bostock for their first for example

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Bread and butter when defending a corner or set piece, be the first to the ball, Notts just stood watching. Its that thats annoyed me most about today, and the same thing twice
    If the ball comes above your head and a 6ft 6’’ is challenging you who do you think will win the header ? and how do you stop him ?

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive not Reactive View Post
    Anticlough I don’t think you’re far off with your assessment
    First of all we all know the scissors,paper,rock game unfortunately Mansfield were scissors to our paper
    Mansfield have been a very solid Division 2 for a few years and probably unlucky they haven’t been promoted and this summer have strengthened again and should be automatic this season
    We are newbies and still on a learning curve and most would be happy if we made the playoffs(took us 4 years to get out of NL)
    Mansfield were very good tactically,they pressed us and man marked us so even though Slocombe’s kicking wasn’t brilliant but who does he aim for ? their back 4 were all a lot bigger than our players and one of the key things were Didzy is our outlet for the long ball but the 2 centre backs are 6ft 6’’ and 6ft 2.5’’ the only other aerial outlet is TAR who was introduced 10 minutes too late.
    The only real criticism I had of the defence was that Brindley had a good few opportunities to run forward with the ball which then creates the space for other players but for whatever reason kept turning back - Rawlinson went forward twice in the first half(and he doesn’t have the tools Brindley has) and we created 2 chances from that,
    Regarding the 2 goals from corners very clever from Mansfield dinking them in without pace and hung in the air with 2 centre backs coming onto it - our tallest centre back is 6ft 1’
    They took a longer corner just before and JOB was lucky not to concede a penalty as he hauled one of their players down
    For me we have to accept that they were bigger and stronger than us and yes we were bullied 2nd half but how do you stop that if they are bigger and stronger than you ?
    Bostock gave the first goal away(or was he fouled ?) but he was missed when he went off
    The two wing backs were disappointing especially Nemane he needed to just push the ball in front of him and just run(his best attribute ) and not try to dribble,Austin unfortunately doesn’t have the pace or skill to be very effective Jones was a big miss today.
    LW is doing wonders with the players and we are doing great with our squad - 6 players injured is a lot for most clubs especially for us with our small squad.
    I know during preseason we offered 6 figure fees for two 6ft 4’’ plus centre backs so it’s not for lack of trying that we haven’t brought defenders in but for me we can’t bring anymore small players in for any position.
    Not too happy with the Supporters(the clue is in the title) the Kop were probably the quietest they have been this season and embarrassing the number of Notts fans walked out when the 4th goal went in.
    The team never stopped trying,they weren’t good enough today and they will know that and they have given us enough pleasure over the last season and a quarter for us to support them when they are having a bad time ?
    I and my friends were some of the people that left when the 4th goal went in, for personel reasons, the game was lost, and we have a fair drive back home, not living locally, so we decided to leave before the mass exodus with a big crowd
    But we will be back for the Wrexham match

Quote Originally Posted by StagManStan View Post
    We were wondering why you didn't play Langstaff and Mcgoldrick?
    Good one.
    We were resting them!

First of all we all know the scissors,paper,rock game unfortunately Mansfield were scissors to our paper
    Mansfield have been a very solid Division 2 for a few years and probably unlucky they haven’t been promoted and this summer have strengthened again and should be automatic this season
    We are newbies and still on a learning curve and most would be happy if we made the playoffs(took us 4 years to get out of NL)
    Mansfield were very good tactically,they pressed us and man marked us so even though Slocombe’s kicking wasn’t brilliant but who does he aim for ? their back 4 were all a lot bigger than our players and one of the key things were Didzy is our outlet for the long ball but the 2 centre backs are 6ft 6’’ and 6ft 2.5’’ the only other aerial outlet is TAR who was introduced 10 minutes too late.
    The only real criticism I had of the defence was that Brindley had a good few opportunities to run forward with the ball which then creates the space for other players but for whatever reason kept turning back - Rawlinson went forward twice in the first half(and he doesn’t have the tools Brindley has) and we created 2 chances from that,
    Regarding the 2 goals from corners very clever from Mansfield dinking them in without pace and hung in the air with 2 centre backs coming onto it - our tallest centre back is 6ft 1’
    They took a longer corner just before and JOB was lucky not to concede a penalty as he hauled one of their players down
    For me we have to accept that they were bigger and stronger than us and yes we were bullied 2nd half but how do you stop that if they are bigger and stronger than you ?
    Bostock gave the first goal away(or was he fouled ?) but he was missed when he went off
    The two wing backs were disappointing especially Nemane he needed to just push the ball in front of him and just run(his best attribute ) and not try to dribble,Austin unfortunately doesn’t have the pace or skill to be very effective Jones was a big miss today.
    LW is doing wonders with the players and we are doing great with our squad - 6 players injured is a lot for most clubs especially for us with our small squad.
    I know during preseason we offered 6 figure fees for two 6ft 4’’ plus centre backs so it’s not for lack of trying that we haven’t brought defenders in but for me we can’t bring anymore small players in for any position.
    Not too happy with the Supporters(the clue is in the title) the Kop were probably the quietest they have been this season and embarrassing the number of Notts fans walked out when the 4th goal went in.
    The team never stopped trying,they weren’t good enough today and they will know that and they have given us enough pleasure over the last season and a quarter for us to support them when they are having a bad time ?
    Interesting observations. Yes, we definitely missed Bostock when he went off.

To add a few bits...

Going back to the refereeing. Yes, they bullied us, but the ref allowed them to be very 'liberal' with their hands and arms. The one on Bostock was some sort of foul. It shouldn't have necessarily put him on the ground, although it did spin him around. Maris practically punched one of our players in the face. And the commentators said shoulder charge, but actually Bowery pushed Austin over with an extended right arm and that would've' been a penalty. They got away with a lot of rough-house stuff. Having said that, Crowley might have been sent off. But that only proves that the ref missed a lot of stuff.

That spot on the right-side of defence seems to have become something of a poisoned chalice in terms of performances and continuity. I'm not sure anyone's held the spot down for more than 2 or 3 games. Brindley, then Rawlo, then Baldwin, Brindley, Macari then Brindley again...

About the 'philosophy' that someone mentioned. Yes, the vast majority will be supporting what the club and LW wants to do.
    If they didn't though.......anyone else have the feeling that demanding a change of approach would be the same as demanding a change of coach? He seems so committed to his footballing principles, I think LW would take and apply them elsewhere before he did anything radically different here. And then the club would bring in a similar coach anyway. If true, this is a good thing, it means we won't be zig-zagging Trew-style from one thing to the other.

I agree with most of what you say PnR, but how else can fans show their dismay at such a shocking performance? They aren't a happy clappy congregation, smiling and cheering no matter what is fed to them. They didn't just see a loss, they saw a chance to wallop their neighbours disappear in a fashion not seen by the fans for years, bounced, we were.

To me our lot had "Play to instructions, don't deviate" written all over it.

Nearly every team we play are bigger and stronger than us. You counter it by being sharper, quicker and cleverer. That's what we've done previously, but we didn't do it today.

If the ball comes above your head and a 6ft 6’’ is challenging you who do you think will win the header ? and how do you stop him ?
    If you can't stop him, the least you can do is make it more difficult for him by offering a challenge.

Leaving a tall centre back unmarked so he can pick his spot is criminal defending.

There is a difference between happy clappy, and supporting your team when things ain't going great. Some of our fans are like spoilt brats, first time we don't dominate, out come the boos and cat calls.
    We all know it was a bad day at the office, but sit on your hands or worse, turn on the team, is poor.
    Mansfield fans were lapping it up, very embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    That spot on the right-side of defence seems to have become something of a poisoned chalice in terms of performances and continuity. I'm not sure anyone's held the spot down for more than 2 or 3 games. Brindley, then Rawlo, then Baldwin, Brindley, Macari then Brindley again...
    Brindley has looked really good in the middle of a back three, but poor when played on the right. Maybe Cameron's absence forced our formation today, but we looked dodgy all game.

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast