+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonali

The most frustrating thing is we’re likely to have a player we can’t use for a year with a book value of 55 million on our FFP account (plus wages).
    With players like Manquillo moving on, there should be some leeway for spend in the summer but not sure about January? Some more cracking results in the CL would be a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I hear what you're saying, Jammy, but I'd be very surprised if Milan didn't have at least some inkling of what was going on.
    Yeah course they did, and they knew this would come out eventually so they have cashed in, and I bet they advised him to move to uk to possibly avoid a ban. It could explain his body language which imo has never been what I would have expected from a player who allegedly has just doubled his income to play in the best league in the world. It might also have contributed to some of his performances which imo have not been up to standard for an Italian international. Yes I know it’s a different league etc, and after watching the Eng v Italia game the Standsrd of their football is way behind so might very well take some time to bed in. Can’t make my mind up as to what the club should do, suppose it depends on what comes out, and how long any potential ban is. What if it’s a 12 mth ban ffs, what do we do with him? He would be taking up a squad place. The FA would HAVE to allow us some flexibility as the crimes were committed before we bought him, surely, in which case, do we keep him here to serve his ban, do we send him home where we wouldn’t have any control? Trickey. I wonder how his girlfriends taking this, did she also know? What a bloody mess!

Hadn't realised he's admitted betting on AC Milan games he was involved in.

Going forward, he's our player and we need to support him...but...I'm increasibly pissed off with the player himself.

ffs, what a mess.

Guess we have to compare the amount of offences Tonali has committed with that of Fagioli.

He got a year, reduced to 7 months for admitting the offences, with a pittance of a fine, and having to sign up to both get help and talk about his experiences 10 times.

I think that is the very MINIMUM Tonali will face, but given he has (apparently) admitted the offences then it could be 18 months if it’s more serious.

If he has been betting, doesn’t admit it and gets convicted then it would be 3 years.

Did he know beforehand - of course he did

Did Milan know beforehand - we’d need Italian authorities to investigate and reveal that, because the club won’t be volunteering the info and I wouldn’t have a clue if there are any clauses in a contract covering such cases… though imagine there likely will be going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Hadn't realised he's admitted betting on AC Milan games he was involved in.

Going forward, he's our player and we need to support him...but...I'm increasibly pissed off with the player himself.

ffs, what a mess.
    Pretty much sums it up fella

Thing is we should support him, he’s 23… and I get people are going to say he should know better, and that’s true to a degree, but it’s not like he’s being charged with ***ual assault or similar.

If people don’t want to support him for humane reasons, then consider he’s a great player… maybe we haven’t seen how good because of this, but support the lad and he’ll show his appreciation on the pitch when he comes back.

Footballers have too much time on their hands, too much money from a young age and they don't have the imagination to come up with anything interesting to do when they're not training and their influencer wives are in Dubai for business.

So they turn to gambling, only it has to be big bucks on the line if it is to actually give them a thrill. Naturally, some of them will have a problem controlling their gambling habits and eventually become full-blown addicts.

Even for an addict gambler, betting on your own team is a very foolish thing to do. Still, if the problem is that he's a gambling addict, that means he's ill and I hope he gets better and returns for us. If he knew this would be coming when he signed for us, he's definitely gone down in my estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Footballers have too much time on their hands, too much money from a young age and they don't have the imagination to come up with anything interesting to do when they're not training and their influencer wives are in Dubai for business.

So they turn to gambling, only it has to be big bucks on the line if it is to actually give them a thrill. Naturally, some of them will have a problem controlling their gambling habits and eventually become full-blown addicts.

Even for an addict gambler, betting on your own team is a very foolish thing to do. Still, if the problem is that he's a gambling addict, that means he's ill and I hope he gets better and returns for us. If he knew this would be coming when he signed for us, he's definitely gone down in my estimation.
    Like I already said earlier, I reckon this is why he’s here,to try and escape a football ban in Italy. He didn’t want to be here,imo, Milan told him he had to move, and that’s why he hasn’t really performed to the standard of the fee we paid, I think he’s been pretty average. I know the fans love him, and he is a good player, but not the one Eddie “fell in love with” some time ago when watching him play in Italy. I think Eddie will be gutted about all this,and very angry!

Quote Originally Posted by tinostongue View Post
    Like I already said earlier, I reckon this is why he’s here,to try and escape a football ban in Italy. He didn’t want to be here,imo, Milan told him he had to move, and that’s why he hasn’t really performed to the standard of the fee we paid, I think he’s been pretty average. I know the fans love him, and he is a good player, but not the one Eddie “fell in love with” some time ago when watching him play in Italy. I think Eddie will be gutted about all this,and very angry!
    You could be right. We'll have to wait and see what the details show, although it is my understanding that it is now confirmed he has placed bets on his own team in Italy.

Could he go out on loan to Saudi? Or is it likely to be a total worldwide ban?

Worldwide ban, by the sounds of it.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)