+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Plans Explained

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    It's not imperative we get out this division this season.
    Increased attendances are built primarily on winning games.
    We will win more games than we lose in this league, even if we don't go up.
    I don't see any significant harm as long as we are in contention for at least a play off spot towards the end of the season.
    I'd rather we strengthen gradually and when we do go up, have enough to stay there.
    Im not saying we can't go up this year, but I'd prefer financial stability off the pitch first and foremost this season and would see promotion as a plus.
    This is my thinking. If we somehow get promoted this season, it will be a surprise and a bonus. But there are downsides to double promotions too - your squad needs overhauling twice as fast if you want to survive. Slow and steady growth is much more sustainable.

Given our squad and resources, it would be great to be in contention for a playoff spot this season. But unlike all those previous seasons in the NL, there's no massive pressure to get the hell out of here. If we're still in L2 next season, I would expect us to do better than this season, and so on until we eventually go up.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    This is my thinking. If we somehow get promoted this season, it will be a surprise and a bonus. But there are downsides to double promotions too - your squad needs overhauling twice as fast if you want to survive. Slow and steady growth is much more sustainable.

Given our squad and resources, it would be great to be in contention for a playoff spot this season. But unlike all those previous seasons in the NL, there's no massive pressure to get the hell out of here. If we're still in L2 next season, I would expect us to do better than this season, and so on until we eventually go up.
    After we were promoted to L1 over ten years ago the manager then ran off into oblivion and we were fed a stream of inept managers by wannabe owners who had no idea of what to do next - sign yet another player? That didn't work. A new manager? HA,HA,HA! Start bickering with the fans - err...NO! Look around for a buyer - any buyer? That was how not to run a football club.

I think things are a little different today and should we achieve promotion you can bet The Bros will be in a position to stabilise the club in a way not seen for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    After we were promoted to L1 over ten years ago the manager then ran off into oblivion and we were fed a stream of inept managers by wannabe owners who had no idea of what to do next - sign yet another player? That didn't work. A new manager? HA,HA,HA! Start bickering with the fans - err...NO! Look around for a buyer - any buyer? That was how not to run a football club.

I think things are a little different today and should we achieve promotion you can bet The Bros will be in a position to stabilise the club in a way not seen for many years.
    Oh I absolutely agree. My point is if you get back-to-back promotions, you inevitably end up with more players who perhaps aren't up to standard and need replacing. Spending a few seasons building in L2 means we'll be better equipped for L1.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post

Was there a rumour of their old man helping financially if such levels were achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Oh I absolutely agree. My point is if you get back-to-back promotions, you inevitably end up with more players who perhaps aren't up to standard and need replacing. Spending a few seasons building in L2 means we'll be better equipped for L1.
    I suppose it depends on how many would be out of contract. Let’s dream that we do go up this season, how many could play at L1 level? How many players in the current squad would be out of contract and would be offered new terms? If this Conor geezer signs and turns out to be a really good player, could he take pressure off players like Baldwin and Cameron? Both capable players.
    Midfield wise, Palmer, Bostock and Crowley could all play a league up.
    Further forward we have JJ, Macca and Didzy (for a season)
    I’d have no qualms with Austin being in the squad and TAR as a defensive minded full back.
    All of a sudden it’s seeing who else we can get in who are better than them or can compete.
    The big issue we have at the minute is that we are completely reliant on about 14 players. That’s not a deep enough squad. We saw that last weekend when we were missing a couple of those 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I suppose it depends on how many would be out of contract. Let’s dream that we do go up this season, how many could play at L1 level? How many players in the current squad would be out of contract and would be offered new terms? If this Conor geezer signs and turns out to be a really good player, could he take pressure off players like Baldwin and Cameron? Both capable players.
    Midfield wise, Palmer, Bostock and Crowley could all play a league up.
    Further forward we have JJ, Macca and Didzy (for a season)
    I’d have no qualms with Austin being in the squad and TAR as a defensive minded full back.
    All of a sudden it’s seeing who else we can get in who are better than them or can compete.
    The big issue we have at the minute is that we are completely reliant on about 14 players. That’s not a deep enough squad. We saw that last weekend when we were missing a couple of those 14.
    You ask a good question here. How many would be good enough to play in League 1?
    Problem is we have some who are struggling in League 2.
    We gave new 2 year contracts in the summer to several players, so they will still be around next season and part of a small squad.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall55 View Post
    Was there a rumour of their old man helping financially if such levels were achieved.
    As I remember it daddy's cash was available if really needed but The Bros would try and succeed without it. Kind of like the Wrexham model except that Hollywood threw the cash at the manager when they first walked through the door.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    You ask a good question here. How many would be good enough to play in League 1?
    Problem is we have some who are struggling in League 2.
    We gave new 2 year contracts in the summer to several players, so they will still be around next season and part of a small squad.
    They may not be around next year if they want to play regular football if we go up big if.

Having two promotions on your cv helps too as it shows they have delivered under pressure.

Put it this way if the chances arises id take promotion everyday !!

If and it is a big if we achieved back to back promotions then the potential problem identified is a good problem to have, a very positive problem and one we should welcome.

I am a believer of giving the squad a chance after promotion. Was quite happy to be back in the FL this season & said on the prediction thread be happy with mid table.
    However we have got off to a better start than most of us thought. After nearly a third of the season & we are up there but have problems at the back, we need to address them in Jan. It's no good saying consolidate now in Jan, & fix the problems in the Summer ready for another campaign next season. We all know what can happen there, even without doing a nob jock Hardy.
    Personally I think 2 of the back 3 need replacing. Brindley & Cameron, too easily out muscled.
    Thought it was a honest view from LW without going into too much detail. He admits there is problems but his hands are tied till Jan, so has to work with what he has got.
    Another thing I have noticed, watched every game bar Morecombe, yes streamed, there doesn't seem to be a leader out there barking instructions. Maybe there is & it just doesn't come across in streaming.
    Attendance wise, they will drop if thing slacken off. Something again we all know to well at Notts, so that is why we need to keep the impetus going & make a couple of signings. No good being too loyal to players. It's not those who get sacked
    Last edited by irishpete; 19-10-2023 at 09:34 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast