+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Disappointing to draw…but we didn’t look like scoring !

Disappointing to draw…but we didn’t look like scoring !

Whilst it looked like a 0-0, Palmer made 2 excellent saves to keep us in the game.
    1st half dire (no surprise there) and really only Philips showing any threat. Sadly a few boos at the half time whistle.
    The half time talk instilled some determination and the 3 subs added to this improvement, but the final pass and shooting efforts were poor.
    For me Palmer and Philips were MOM (despite the latter’s last second blast over the goal)
    Pieters and Asante had poor games. BTS is struggling as a loan striker and easily taken out with any high ball and physical challenge - I think his confidence has been shot.
    Bartley struggled with their striker and looked suspect under pressure. To his credit he produced 2/3 excellent direct long cross field balls to Philips. So much better than his regular ‘hospital pass out from the back ! The AJ substitution was an immediate improvement and alongside Kipper pushed forward.
    Wallace, Furlong, Mowatt, Grady and Chabby were average 6/10s, albeit the latter won a number of tackles to dispossess their midfield. His efforts were rewarded with a decent applause at his substitution.
    Great cameo from Fellows. Not only a positive direct approach, but pleasing to see the team eager to pass to him.
    Easy to criticise Carlos, but he seems to be making the best with the limited assets at his disposal ?

It's always easy to criticise Carlos on here Prando, as some have short memories and obviously cannot remember his predecessor.

Your assessment of the first half and BTA is spot on. I think we did improve in the second half, but I felt PA were better throughout.

I thought Mowatt just edged Palmer as motm.

He made himself available all the time and didn't waste possession.

I thought Grady had a very bad game and Fellows did more in his cameo than gd did all game.

We have been decimated by injuries, and hopefully we get them back soon.

I felt the referee was terrible and should have stamped his authority earlier has pa committed lots of players going forward then just fouled us as we broke.

I don't think I have seen a team at this level commit as many players forward as the pilgrims, and they are a good side.

Certainly agree re the referee BB buddy ! Do we get more than our fair share of poor refs I wonder ?
    Similarly, I’m reluctant to berate Carlos, given the injuries.
    Grady looked as though he would threaten, but too often lost the ball and seemed to be easily bullied.
    Plymouth demonstrated how to swiftly play the ball out from the back…we do not have the players with the necessary skill set, nor energy to replicate.
    QPR a definite ‘must win’, particularly in light of their alleged smart comments about defeating us !

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    It's always easy to criticise Carlos on here Prando, as some have short memories and obviously cannot remember his predecessor.

Your assessment of the first half and BTA is spot on. I think we did improve in the second half, but I felt PA were better throughout.

I thought Mowatt just edged Palmer as motm.

He made himself available all the time and didn't waste possession.

I thought Grady had a very bad game and Fellows did more in his cameo than gd did all game.

We have been decimated by injuries, and hopefully we get them back soon.

I felt the referee was terrible and should have stamped his authority earlier has pa committed lots of players going forward then just fouled us as we broke.

I don't think I have seen a team at this level commit as many players forward as the pilgrims, and they are a good side.
    I think this is quite a fair analysis. We are reasonably solid in defence, but we need our attacking players who are still fit to step up. And we are struggling massively with injuries. Swift, Dike/Maja and maybe Sarmiento would have all started yesterday had they been available - and its easy to see why.

Big game incoming tomorrow night.

BTA is not a natural goal scorer or poacher but he usually puts in an energetic performance that can cause problems for defences. The problem with playing him as a lone striker seems two-fold to me-firstly, he is not an effective target man and secondly, far too often he is isolated on his own up front with no support as we are frequently far too sluggish to press. This is bound to ultimately affect his moral and performance. When Maja is back I think that playing the two together could be quite effective though.

I think that we could do worse than playing Ajayi up front as a centre forward, he’s good in the air and has some pace; it would be interesting to see BTA play off him, we need to try something!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I think that we could do worse than playing Ajayi up front as a centre forward, he’s good in the air and has some pace; it would be interesting to see BTA play off him, we need to try something!
    We certainly do! Be interesting to see his team selection for QPR on Tuesday but whatever it is I would just like to see us get going from the start rather than waiting until the second half to start playing.

Very good idea. He has the attributes so why not.

I wonder if Corberan has actually thought about it as an option.

In my opinion we have two major problems; firstly, our inability to find the back of the net and secondly, our pedestrian way of playing. Compared to most sides, our energy levels are very low and this slow and methodical way of playing out from the back is far too easy for the opposition to nullify. This appears to be especially apparent when playing at the Hawthorns. Add to this, the fact that we don’t start playing until the second half is a real concern.
    Why we can’t reciprocate the way that we played at Preston, I just don’t know. If you look at the dire performance v. Sheffield We’d. in the following game, it defies logic. I accept our injury problems but playing with some energy and enthusiasm would be a start.

Personally speaking I wouldn't be averse to playing him up front from the bench if we're chasing a goal but I wouldn't start him though as there's more to forward play than being tall and fast.

Let’s face it his positioning is bad enough in defence, he was all over the place when tried in midfield and I'm not sure he'd have the foggiest idea what to do and where to be up front.

From the bench maybe but if he's on from the start it could be like playing with nine outfield players and a giraffe on ice. Harsh perhaps as I'm sure he could make an impact but I doubt he'd make a lasting impression from the off.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)