+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T flooding

O/T flooding

Got to feel for Catcliff again

Problem linking story so put a pic link up

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cp...94812.jpg.webp
    Last edited by millertop; 21-10-2023 at 08:47 PM.

Disgusting how this housing estate was ever passed to be built. How many times is it now this has happened like this?

Whenever the heavy rains start to fall you feel for the poor folk who live on the estate. It's always inevitable and all because they open the sluice/floodgate higher up the Rother so a large industrial area in Chesterfield doesn't flood.

I was down there yesterday morning and I pulled over to look over the wall to see how high the river had risen. It was just short of being on the footpath around 10.00am. With the continuous downpour throughoyt the day, I wasn't surprised to see this picture posted.

Canklow Bridge is a good indicator, once that's shut you know Catcliffe has gone under again. The bridge was still closed to traffic at 6pm tonight as the river was at least a foot deep across the road and had worked it's way back up to the railway bridge.

They must be pissed off to max, will struggle to sell up.

Finally link now working

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-67180292

It’s not like Catcliffe sneaks into the flooding news as a surprise. It’s flooded there for as long as I can remember and there’s never been anything done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    It’s not like Catcliffe sneaks into the flooding news as a surprise. It’s flooded there for as long as I can remember and there’s never been anything done about it.
    Well they did dredge the river down there a few years ago,so they have done something but clearly it’s not enough.

Like I said other day it can’t all be pushed further down someone/somewhere will suffer at some point,the new floodgate will have added pressure further down at Eastwood etc I should imagine..

Ffs can you please check on your elderly neighbours especially in floods.
    This woman was found at her property

Earlier, police said a woman in her 80s had died in Chesterfield following flooding from the

Also Residents of some 500 homes in a Nottinghamshire town have been urged to evacuate due to flooding caused by Storm Babet.
    Nottinghamshire County Council declared a major incident as it told people in Retford they were at risk over high water levels along the River Idle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67186683

I called down to view it for myself this morning and looking from the picture Topsy put up on the opening thread, the water level had not dropped at all. The garage under the arches is a total loss with cars galore that have been well submerged because of the flooding. The diesel and petrol from these cars is clearly floating on the top of the water giving off a right stink.

I've also just called a dear friend I use to work with and she copped for the lot. Friday tea time all was good as it was nowhere near her property but come midnight it all changed. She finally had to be rescued by having to come downstairs and wade chest deep through her living room to a window. She had to climb out of it as the pressure was far too much to allow her to open her front door.

Having recently redecorated and having a brand new carpet fitted costing more than £1000, she is absolutely heartbroken at yet another devastating flood that has decimated her proud home. She does have home insurance but at a higher cost than normal. She says it's not the insurance cover that might make it better, she is seething because she was told this would never happen again because of the recent flood barrier work that had been installed up and down the River Rother. Really feel for her, bless her

What amazes me not is that Catcliffe has flooded again, really? Why does RMBC grant building permission down there, and, more amazing, why does anyone buy a house there? Getting insurance must cost a fortune, that's if it's offered.
    I feel sorry for them,.but......didn't you know it flooded there?

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    What amazes me not is that Catcliffe has flooded again, really? Why does RMBC grant building permission down there, and, more amazing, why does anyone buy a house there? Getting insurance must cost a fortune, that's if it's offered.
    I feel sorry for them,.but......didn't you know it flooded there?
    For the record pal, my very good friend has lived there since the houses were first built long before the first flood that decimated the estate. She has tried to sell up and move away but her property has been reduced so much that it isn't worth her moving out.

She does pay well above the average house insurance costs for a similar house. Lord knows what her premiums will shoot up to after this flooding.

Amazingly, it's only about 3 years ago that the house nearest to the old Plough pub, now a supermarket, had an extension built
    because they thought their flood fears were annulled due to extensive flood defence work but look what's happened again!

They (whoever they are) said train station wouldn’t flood after work that’s supposedly been carried work but it’s been shut again due to flooding apparently.

The street that floods in Dinnington hardly ever flooded but since new housing has gone up around them they’ve been flooded for last few years, maybe they should sue.

It might also help if property owners had better draining when they decide to block pave their lawns too

Might help if they clean drains

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast