+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 Millers archive

1968 Millers archive

Anyone old enough to remember being at this game in March 1968? The days when we actually did reasonably okay in the FA Cup. Link sent to me by a former work colleague who is a Leeds fan - not sure where he came across it

https://youtu.be/jLiHUznwIsY?si=bJGAlRQvpwtHLwFJ

First of all thanks for this saw, me my dad, uncle & cousin all at this game stood in our usual place just behind the dug out 6 steps up. 45+ yrs of memories at Millmoor. Just look at that crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    First of all thanks for this saw, me my dad, uncle & cousin all at this game stood in our usual place just behind the dug out 6 steps up. 45+ yrs of memories at Millmoor. Just look at that crowd.
    You're welcome Lol - great atmosphere on standing terraces elbow to elbow. Think my folks started taking me to Millmoor around this time or possibly a bit before, but for the life of me I don't know/can't recall if I was at this game. I do remember some of the players like Watson, Swift, Storrie, Bentley, Quinn etc...

Strange looking at it now, and I was there and for the replay, how the players all had skinny legs, no muscle development.

Great times though. How did Downes miss that??

Rod Fern in Leicester line up

Dad had bit of a phobia about big crowds, so wouldn't take me and my brother. Could hear the cheers in Clifton though .
    He went to both games. Thousands locked out of the replay.

I must have been there. I was a very young season ticket holder in 1968. Can’t get over that crowd!!

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    Anyone old enough to remember being at this game in March 1968? The days when we actually did reasonably okay in the FA Cup. Link sent to me by a former work colleague who is a Leeds fan - not sure where he came across it

https://youtu.be/jLiHUznwIsY?si=bJGAlRQvpwtHLwFJ
    I remember the game too, though my recollection was that the twice taken penalty was a late equaliser. Neutrals said we'd been robbed because of the penalty retake. What a team that was though, one of my favourite Rothereham teams of all time especially with the heartbreak of relegation which stayed with me for a long time. You couldn't see Dave Watson's domination in the air though he won two headers in their box and Johnny Quinn was usually much more dominant in midfield but it was a First Division team we were playing. It was good to see John Shephard because in recent times I've got to know his sister in law through the church so she'll be delighted to watch this when I tell her about it on Sunday - John is still in good health.
    The replay was really annoying because it wasn't all ticket - I'd bought one - and most of our supporters who'd been at work all day arrived after most of the Leicester supporters had got in so thousands were locked out. I wrote a letter of complaint to Leicester and they replied saying they didn't expect so many people to turn up. I've still got the letter somewhere.
    I didn't know their was any footage of the 1968 team so thank you very much for posting this.
    PS John Sjoberg of Leicester later played for us as well as Rod Fern
    Last edited by Muchthemillersson; 26-10-2023 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added a PS

I was there with my dad and grandad just left of goal on the Tivoli. Don't remember too much about the game to be honest as I could hardly see the pitch being such a youngster. I do remember the penalty incident tho' the crowd around us went crazy when it had to be retaken and complains were the talking point by all as we left the ground. Never been in such a crush.

You're most welcome Muchthemillersson - hope John Shephard's sister in law enjoy watching him in his playing days. I was being taken to Millmoor in those days though not sure I was at this game. How times change all of us...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast