+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Match ratings v Wrexham

Match ratings v Wrexham

Slocombe: one really good save at the end of the first half, a couple more in the second. Seemed quite at ease with knowing when to pass it out and when to kick it long. Couldn't do anything about the deflected goal, and I don't think he could've done much about the other one. 8

Macari: hard to believe he made his debut a week ago when he has played almost three games in a week and not looked inferior to any of the established defenders. Seems to have excellent balance. 7.5

Baldwin: played very well as he does most weeks, but I think he misjudged the bounce from a long ball that let them score. Always plays really well, always gifts one or two good chances. How do you rate that? A philosophical discussion for this week no doubt. 5.5

Cameron: again played pretty well, but would've liked to see him and Baldwin doing more closing down for the deflected goal. Great cross that Macca should've converted and good hit from distance that on another day goes in. 7

JoB: has played better as a starter recently than when he came on as a sub previously. I liked his positive passing and his general raging against the dying of the light, but some sloppiness in there too. 6.5

Palmer: did pleasing Palmer things until he went off. 7

Nemane: set the tone by beating his man from a standing start early on, but as is often the case lacks that little bit of end product and intuition with teammates. 7

Crowley: barely a game goes by when he doesn't get a goal or an assist, but he still played quite well today. 7

Jones: pipped Slocombe to MoM with another purposeful display. Gives us the directness we need, and is a joy to watch for us dinosaurs who like wingers to take a man on and swing a cross in. 8.5

McGoldrick and Langstaff: I can do these both together as they had similar games. Worked hard, nice touches, played well even, but neither scored from very presentable chances, which was what affected the outcome of the match. 6 and 6.

On a side note, as I mentioned in the match thread, why doesn't Slocombe kick for touch in the opposition corner? It's got to be better than what we do now as plan B.

Agree generally but think 7 is generous for Nemane.
    Last edited by SmiffyPie; 28-10-2023 at 05:32 PM.

Slocombe 6
    Macari 6
    Baldwin 6
    Cameron 7 MoM
    Palmer 6
    O'Brien 5
    Nemane 7
    Crowley 6
    McGoldrick 7
    Jones 7
    Langstaff 5

Subs,
    Sam & Will 6

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Agree generally but thing 7 is generous for Nemane.
    I think 7 is unbelievably generous. I thought he was clearly our least effective player today, and that's why he was replaced. The difference in the quality of play. courage and commitment - offensively and defensively - between Jodi Jones on the left and Aaron Nemane on the right was borderline embarrassing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Slocombe: one really good save at the end of the first half, a couple more in the second. Seemed quite at ease with knowing when to pass it out and when to kick it long. Couldn't do anything about the deflected goal, and I don't think he could've done much about the other one. 8

Macari: hard to believe he made his debut a week ago when he has played almost three games in a week and not looked inferior to any of the established defenders. Seems to have excellent balance. 7.5

Baldwin: played very well as he does most weeks, but I think he misjudged the bounce from a long ball that let them score. Always plays really well, always gifts one or two good chances. How do you rate that? A philosophical discussion for this week no doubt. 5.5

Cameron: again played pretty well, but would've liked to see him and Baldwin doing more closing down for the deflected goal. Great cross that Macca should've converted and good hit from distance that on another day goes in. 7

JoB: has played better as a starter recently than when he came on as a sub previously. I liked his positive passing and his general raging against the dying of the light, but some sloppiness in there too. 6.5

Palmer: did pleasing Palmer things until he went off. 7

Nemane: set the tone by beating his man from a standing start early on, but as is often the case lacks that little bit of end product and intuition with teammates. 7

Crowley: barely a game goes by when he doesn't get a goal or an assist, but he still played quite well today. 7

Jones: pipped Slocombe to MoM with another purposeful display. Gives us the directness we need, and is a joy to watch for us dinosaurs who like wingers to take a man on and swing a cross in. 8.5

McGoldrick and Langstaff: I can do these both together as they had similar games. Worked hard, nice touches, played well even, but neither scored from very presentable chances, which was what affected the outcome of the match. 6 and 6.

On a side note, as I mentioned in the match thread, why doesn't Slocombe kick for touch in the opposition corner? It's got to be better than what we do now as plan B.
    I can’t believe Nemane got 7 and you only gave Baldwin 5.5???

Thought ratings were pretty fair although if no mistake from Baldwin was an 8 so a 7 for me
    McGoldrick 1 more point because apart from Jodi he looked the most likely to make something happen
    Nemane a 6 he tries to dribble round the full back too often instead of just pushing the ball into open space and running because he had him on toast with a yellow card already appears to lack confidence
    Thought the plan B with Slocombe kicking long to McGoldrick worked to a degree as he won his fair share v Evans and brought Jones into the game

Interesting thoughts about Nemane and Baldwin.

Jodi Jones to me is a proper footballer. Nemane to me is an agile fast runner who has been taught to play football, like a lower league Theo Walcott.

In terms of decision making and football brain I much prefer Jones, so I agree the gulf is clear between them, but I have to admit I didn't see Nemane having an awful game, just that he didn't make the most of the situations he got himself into. But that happens most weeks IMO.

I like watching Baldwin very much. It's a joy to see him sauntering out of defence looking composed, or spraying passes, or having a long range shot. He's also our best defender IMO. With all that said, he's making mistakes that give good chances away at the rate of one or two per game. Sometimes the opposition score, sometimes they don't, but he will pretty much always give you a mistake.

The low mark might seem harsh but all he had to do was head or kick a long ball. That is different to a striker missing chances because the striker has to beat the keeper and find the net, the defender just has to get something on it and kick it anywhere.

I know that criticising our defenders is controversial for some, but if we aren't going to judge them from the starting point that they should do the basics of defending, we may as well buy athletic midfielders and play them in defence. They will also give goals away but have even more quality coming out with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I can’t believe Nemane got 7 and you only gave Baldwin 5.5???
    Nemane a 3 at best wasted almost every bit of possession he had.
    Baldwin 8 at least

Agree...

My first ever post after a disappointing game.
    My ratings -
    Slocombe 7 Couple of decent saves but poor distribution.
    Baldwin 7 Thought he had a great game marshalling mullin but made the mistake that led to goal 2
    Cameron 6 Not as good as Baldwin
    Macari 7.5 Seems very composed and always looking for the forward pass.
    Nemane 4 Not a defender but unfortunately not a great winger today, his crosses were awful and with better delivery we could have won this.
    Jones 8.5 MoM again. Outstanding , beats his man every time and put in some great crosses.
    O'Brien 6 Did ok but nothing special and should really have scored.
    Palmer 6.5 Not his best game and for me does not drive forward enough and can slow our game down.
    Crowley 6.5 Great first half but the needless booking caused by Nemane hampered his tackling and poor second half.
    Langstaff 5 Always gives 100% but was ineffective today and should have put away the easy header.
    Mcgoldrick 7 Better than Langstaff and some lovely touches but again should have put one away.
    Subs Randall 6 looks off the pace and had no affect on the game
    Austin 4 Very poor and again added nothing to game
    LW 6 - Got the tactics wrong and I do wish he had a plan B

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast