+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short Corners

Short Corners

Can someone please explain to me why we persist with the short corner routine? We had 10 corners today and not one of them went into the box. Most went back into our our half. Missed opportunity to put pressure on?

Too predictable and lead to us putting ourselves under pressure when we should be putting the opposition under pressure.

Agreed, I just don’t understand why we don’t mix it up a bit. What’s wrong with either whipping the ball in and creating a bit of a panic or going long and attacking the far post every so often?

We scored at Gillingham from one. Stats say chances of scoring from corners is about 2 or 3% and with a small side I guess that figures less.
    Do agree today though they bought a lot of players out of the box so I did think it was worth whipping one in at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunks5 View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why we persist with the short corner routine? We had 10 corners today and not one of them went into the box. Most went back into our our half. Missed opportunity to put pressure on?
    I think LW sees it the other way around. If you pitch the ball into a box packed with defenders and the biggest of them in the different colour top can just catch it, then you give the ball away in a second. Playing it short keeps control of the game and the pressure on.

We seemed well practiced now and in 3 or 4 passes the short corner gets you into a position that is more promising than a corner kick.

I get the reasoning of a short corner, I just don’t know why we needed 3 or 4 players near the ball to take one.

Percentages

How many corners result in an attempt on goal? A lot more get cleared the opposite way..with our possession based approach it’s likely viewed as a cheap unnecessary turnover.

That’s fine if we move it quick enough and do get ourselves into a good position, ultimately ending with an attempt at goal. However, too often we seem to go backwards into our own half and sometimes even back to our own keeper. With only seconds left on the clock today we simply repeated the same tactic.

As Einstein said…. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I’m waiting for the analyst team to figure out that Slocombes long kicking should be viewed the same way.

It’s designed to keep us in the oppositions half or ideally the final third and pick up from where we left off before the corner was given. We then have a number of options to pull defenders away from the goal to create openings, or we go a bit further back and look to play it round a packed defence to the other side of the pitch. Again to enable openings to be found. It’s about having that control and keeping the pressure on the opposition and retaining the ball. You whip the ball into the box and it becomes chaos and is unpredictable. Plus the gains are very low and if the opposition get rid of it or the keeper gets it then you’ve lost control.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast