+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic alternatives to Taylor

Realistic alternatives to Taylor

Given our perilous position and horrendous injury situation, I am certain no established manager would join RUFC at the moment.

Warnock will not take the job in my opinion. It is too far to travel and I think, even he would not fancy his chances of keeping us up.

So who does that leave? Someone whose career is in decline and needs to repair his reputation with a salvage job? Gary Rowett perhaps?

Or a novice who fancies a crack at management ? Lee Peltier maybe?

Any other sensible suggestions?

There isn’t anyone imo who’s willing to come in on the wages we’ll be asking

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Given our perilous position and horrendous injury situation, I am certain no established manager would join RUFC at the moment.

Warnock will not take the job in my opinion. It is too far to travel and I think, even he would not fancy his chances of keeping us up.

So who does that leave? Someone whose career is in decline and needs to repair his reputation with a salvage job? Gary Rowett perhaps?

Or a novice who fancies a crack at management ? Lee Peltier maybe?

Any other sensible suggestions?
    You haven’t got a clue have you, there are plenty of managers who would love to opportunity of managing Rotherham, just because we’ve got a clueless donkey managing us at the moment does not mean Rotherham are destined to be relegated. Matt Taylor is a terrible and inexperienced manager at this level and must be sacked.

Neil Warnock, will work anywhere he gets a job, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield, Cardiff, QPR, maybe Rotherham next… and personally i would love Gary Rowett and definitely not Lee Peltier.

Quote Originally Posted by Australianmelbournemiller View Post
    You haven’t got a clue have you, there are plenty of managers who would love to opportunity of managing Rotherham, .
    Names please.

One of the reasons I'm not calling for him to go is because there is no obvious better alternative, so give him chance to turn it around. We were 8th in the Championship just over a year ago and the best manager we could attract was Matt Taylor. Why would we attract better managers now?

Warnock wouldn't come in my opinion, and he looks like going to QPR anyway. Plus that would just mean we had to start from scratch again in the summer when he retires for the 10th time. Going back is often not a good idea anyway, if we going to look at the past we may as well just get Ronnie back!

Rowett I imagine would probably think he can do better if he waits a bit.

Wilder? Again, would probably think he can do better but an ex player who lives local. He's been linked with a surprise return to Bramall lane however.

Nathan Jones possibly? but I don't think those who weren't a fan of Paul Warne and his emotions would be fans of Jones. He did well at Luton but looked on the verge of a breakdown at Stoke and Southampton.

I hate to say Ainsworth but I reckon that's the calibre we'd be looking at, and I'm not sure many of us want that.

I think Rotherham have generally done well with a 'character' in charge, Ronnie, Evans, Warnock, Warne, all very different characters but not your normal cliche spouting managers, and Evans aside all had a previous connection with the club. It was easier to get behind them. The more dour serious managers, Scott, Redfearn, Stubbs etc all failed. Robins was the only one in that mould to really do well but he also had a connection to the club as a player.

The grass isn't always greener.

I don't think Wilder is a credible alternative. He will be looking for a much bigger club.

The trouble is there isn’t any options,try an up and coming manager …well that’s Taylor.!..an older experienced head…..end up with a Kenny jackett scenario..!...appoint from within….nobody there to appoint….!…

Names if pushed,rowett wouldn’t want it,pearson would be a right fit,bit health problems might be an issue now….ainsworth is probably the closest rotherham type manager out there,forget qpr he had a connection with club which can hinder things sometimes and it was a total mess to clear up..it woundn”t be pretty and not many would want him, but abit like Steve evans nobody wanted him but you can’t deny his success…

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    There isn’t anyone imo who’s willing to come in on the wages we’ll be asking
    If we're asking them to pay wages to come, we'll never get anyone.

Ainsworth apart from Warnock I'd have. Don't want Wilder he's a blade as a manager. Rowett Jones don't seem a fit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Ainsworth apart from Warnock I'd have. Don't want Wilder he's a blade as a manager. Rowett Jones don't seem a fit for us.
    Warnock is a blade though?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast