+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jimmy Milne in the 1930s

Jimmy Milne in the 1930s

I'm a Leicester City supporter, visiting this forum for the first time. I've been doing a lot of research about Dundee United because I''ve been writing about Gordon Milne, our boss in the 1980s. His son was Jimmy Milne, who started his career at Tannadice in the 1930s.

I think Jimmy's time at Dundee United was fascinating, not least because on his debut, against Alloa Athletic in August 1930, he came up against Bob Shankly, Bill's brother, who would later have a big influence on Gordon's career.

I would really appreciate some feedback fron true Dundee United fans - especially if I've got anything factually or contextually wrong. Here's two recent posts:

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/ind...drama.3439029/

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/13...ster-managers/

Sorry I can't help with Jimmy Milne but if you want some stories about Jock Wallace 😎

There's a few guys who work on our archives (Arab archive) who might be able to shed some light on Jimmy Milne if they read this thread though.

He played in the biggest win in the club's history a 14-0 victory at Tannadice v Nithsdale Wanderers in the Scottish Cup 1st round on the 17th of January 1931.He was not on the scoresheet that day but i think he was a defender.

There is a Milne still in the first team from 1934 onward's but he was called Arthur and was a forward.

Having now read your posts i can see that Jimmy was playing in England when Arthur made his debut in 1934 scoring 4 times v Edinburgh City in a 9-6 victory.It certainly looks like it was Jimmy who starred in the 1931 record scoring game.

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/player.php?id=967

Here is the info from Arab Archive mate.

If you expand on the list of games it gives you his whole career with United and he did indeed play in our record scoring game.

Good work GB 👍

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/player.php?id=967

Here is the info from Arab Archive mate.

Thanks a lot.

Can anyone clear up Jimmy's date of birth?

On the Arab Archive it says July 24th 1911. On wikipedia it says January 24th 1911.

Can anyone confirm which is correct?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)