+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we take the FA Cup seriously this season?

Should we take the FA Cup seriously this season?

In the last 10 years Notts have only got past the 1st round stage three times, we've been knocked out by two 7th tier clubs plus Rochdale, Hartlepool and Accrington Stanley. In the last five years the only sides we've beaten are Belper, Ebbsfleet and Tamworth. The one time we made it beyond Round 2 in the last 10 years, we ended up crashing out of the competition 8-1 at Swansea.

Worst FA Cup run ever?
    We did once lose six FA Cup ties in a row from 1964-1969, though 5 of those 6 were away and four of the six against teams a level above. Arguably then, we are in the worse run we've ever had in this competition. To be expected, perhaps, having been in tier 5 for four seasons and having to qualify, but we're out of that division now and it's about time we gave the FA Cup a proper go again - We should beat Crawley, but then nobody wants to see a repeat of 2018 which definitely had an impact on the Nolan promotion campaign.

I think it's worth taking seriously because of the outside chance of getting a big team in the third round, but the league is obviously our priority.

Also, there's the risk that getting battered by a Prem side could ruin confidence, like that hammering we took at Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    In the last 10 years Notts have only got past the 1st round stage three times, we've been knocked out by two 7th tier clubs plus Rochdale, Hartlepool and Accrington Stanley. In the last five years the only sides we've beaten are Belper, Ebbsfleet and Tamworth. The one time we made it beyond Round 2 in the last 10 years, we ended up crashing out of the competition 8-1 at Swansea.

Worst FA Cup run ever?
    We did once lose six FA Cup ties in a row from 1964-1969, though 5 of those 6 were away and four of the six against teams a level above. Arguably then, we are in the worse run we've ever had in this competition. To be expected, perhaps, having been in tier 5 for four seasons and having to qualify, but we're out of that division now and it's about time we gave the FA Cup a proper go again - We should beat Crawley, but then nobody wants to see a repeat of 2018 which definitely had an impact on the Nolan promotion campaign.
    Not with the current injuries and threadbare squad !!.Protect the squad and play the youngsters and so called 2nd string,leave the rest to serendipity.

No unfortunately, we haven’t got the squad for it.

What a joke it is that we are obliged to play a stronger side for the EFL trophy than we have to on Saturday.

If were to lose on Saturday it would be the first time since 1977 that we lose three consecutive FA cup ties. Back then it was QPR, Leeds and Arsenal who knocked us out. This time it would be Rochdale, Coalville and Crawley.

It might be against popular opinion but I strongly feel that we should try to win every game we play, and that the FA Cup is no exception. We should take it seriously.

That does not mean that we have to play our first choice team for every game, but we should play a team that LW believes should win that game.

The Crawley game comes on the back of a disappointing result against Wrexham - a win in the FA Cup putting us just one win away from the third round would be morale boosting.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    No unfortunately, we haven’t got the squad for it.

What a joke it is that we are obliged to play a stronger side for the EFL trophy than we have to on Saturday.
    I think it's most probably this^^^

Personally I'd like us to take it more seriously but I doubt we've got the squad depth to do so. Plus the injuries we have at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    It might be against popular opinion but I strongly feel that we should try to win every game we play, and that the FA Cup is no exception. We should take it seriously.

That does not mean that we have to play our first choice team for every game, but we should play a team that LW believes should win that game.

The Crawley game comes on the back of a disappointing result against Wrexham - a win in the FA Cup putting us just one win away from the third round would be morale boosting.
    We should go out to win all cup games. Otherwise we are short changing the supporters..

Spot on!

It's handy to give fringe player and those coming back from injury and that's about it for me. If we win a few and get to the 3rd round then great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast