+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should we take the FA Cup seriously this season?

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We should go out to win all cup games. Otherwise we are short changing the supporters..
    This. We should be going to win every game and get to round 3 at least to maybe make some good money. COYP

Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    What level would we have to reach to make you see the FA Cup differently? Or would we always need to prioritise the league out of fear of relegation?
    We have a depleted squad, some long term injuries, so for this reason I woud rest as many of the first team as possible. It is not a fear of relegation but maximising any opportunity we have of being top 7. As far as the FA Cup is concerned, if all players were fit then I would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I think it's most probably this^^^

Personally I'd like us to take it more seriously but I doubt we've got the squad depth to do so. Plus the injuries we have at the minute.
    Totally agree.

>>>>> n o <<<<<

It depends on how we are going to approach the January window. If The Bros are going to seriously look to cover current shortcomings and give us a genuine tilt at automatic, then I would accept a weakened team in the cup. To keep those who would play a significant part fresh or give them time to recover.
    If they're not, then strongest squad now and hope we can make round 3 and a money spinning tie.

I am sure the team we put out will take it seriously, whether that is the strongest team we could put out is another matter. I am a bit meh about the FA Cup these days anyway, as it has been ruined for TV and other purposes. Yes the money would be great, but their is no guarantee of any plum drawers. If we lost players to injury in the cup, and started to fall away in the league, any cup money could be negated by a fall in revenue from reduced league attendances, (fickle fans and all that).

Our history is littered with seasons seemingly ruined by cup runs, especially when glamour ties have been involved. You can never say for certain that results wouldn't have been the same had we been knocked out early, but there have been times where it's been very obvious that we've either been mentally fatigued or tentative due to the distraction.

The obvious example of a cup run going hand in hand with success in the league is 1990/91 when we reached the FA Cup QF's v Spurs and went on to clinch promotion, though results during that run did take a notable dip.

The cup run in 1984 is one of my favourite Notts memories but it is possible we would have stayed in the top flight for a 4th season had we gone out to Bristol City in round 3 that year.

I totally get the argument for playing a weakened team, it's just that there's been so many embarrassments in this competition in recent times that we're well overdue making up for it. Would be fun to be in the draw with the big teams and to land a plum tie. It's coming up to 13 years now since we hosted Man City, we haven't seen a bigger team than Swansea at Meadow Lane in any major cup competition since then.

Take it serious. The money in this competition is worth playing for

I don’t think Langstaff has played a cup game for us yet - we’ll know if the club are taking it seriously if he starts on Saturday.

Not sure we could have got a less enticing tie than Crawley (other than Crawley away), so it’ll be interesting to see how small the crowd is, especially with rain forecast. It cost me £35 for three tickets, which seems reasonable - but only if we go for the win. (A draw would probably be the worst result, though.)

I’m hoping for as strong a team as possible, but expect to see quite a few kids on the bench. Maybe Will Randall will also get his first start, and start shaking off that rust. Worth giving Stone a game, but it also depends if Macari and Tipton will be allowed to play by their parent clubs.

That's a good point regarding Langstaff, he is the best barometer for our seriousness for this season's FA Cup.

I wonder if Williams will try McGoldrick up front for a change.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast