+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 games in, what have we learned?

15 games in, what have we learned?

Two things stand out for me…

1. Unlike the previous four seasons, there are no gimmes in League 2. Pretty much all of our games have been competitive (the 3-0 win against Newport being the biggest win; the less said about Sutton and Mansfield the better), and I wonder if that intensity has been a factor in the number of injuries we’ve been picking up. It’s rare that we’ve been able to take key players off this season with a game done and dusted.

The need for greater squad depth has been the biggest eye-opener for me so far. You basically need two strong first XIs and can’t carry anyone. It will take us a while to gain that strength in depth, which our rivals at the top all seem to have. Also, if you lose two players to season-long injuries, you really need to replace them if/when you can.

2. Think of the trademark Notts goal and it invariably involves a wing back putting a cross in and Langstaff/McGoldrick/Crowley getting on the end of it. Stop the wing backs getting in behind, though, and we can look toothless and struggle to create anything.

Jodi Jones has been excellent on the left-hand side, but for me his quality and attacking threat casts Aaron Nemane and TAR’s output in an unflattering light. AN was one of my favourite players last season, but he seems to be struggling a little to make the step up. Not sure why it is, but he seems to be lacking a little confidence at this level. Tobi always makes me smile when I see him on camera, but he feels like a defender learning how to attack (he never gives me the impression that he’s comfortable on the ball in an attacking sense).

Given how important this position is for us offensively, we might need to sign an upgrade in January (or next summer, at least).

Edit note - And I’ve just learned that I can’t count - should say 16 games in the subject heading!

We haven't learnt how to take throwing's, and we still lose to the better teams.. Other than that we are doing ok..

Our defence is not good enough

There are 4 really good teams and we are one of them. Sadly the other 3 are a little bit better than us at the moment. We need to defend better to get automatic promotion otherwise it's the play off lottery for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Our defence is not good enough
    We have 30 games left to play and 24 points should see us safe?

Realised everyone’s going to take points off each other, maybe Stockport will run away with it. We’re doing very well and I think we will improve as the season goes on but not going to be easy.

Our home support is not quite as good as LW would have us believe.

Squad depth is a problem.
    Defence is an issue, too many errors.
    20 points to safety.
    This season is about consolidation.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Two things stand out for me…

1. Unlike the previous four seasons, there are no gimmes in League 2. Pretty much all of our games have been competitive (the 3-0 win against Newport being the biggest win; the less said about Sutton and Mansfield the better), and I wonder if that intensity has been a factor in the number of injuries we’ve been picking up. It’s rare that we’ve been able to take key players off this season with a game done and dusted.

The need for greater squad depth has been the biggest eye-opener for me so far. You basically need two strong first XIs and can’t carry anyone. It will take us a while to gain that strength in depth, which our rivals at the top all seem to have. Also, if you lose two players to season-long injuries, you really need to replace them if/when you can.

2. Think of the trademark Notts goal and it invariably involves a wing back putting a cross in and Langstaff/McGoldrick/Crowley getting on the end of it. Stop the wing backs getting in behind, though, and we can look toothless and struggle to create anything.

Jodi Jones has been excellent on the left-hand side, but for me his quality and attacking threat casts Aaron Nemane and TAR’s output in an unflattering light. AN was one of my favourite players last season, but he seems to be struggling a little to make the step up. Not sure why it is, but he seems to be lacking a little confidence at this level. Tobi always makes me smile when I see him on camera, but he feels like a defender learning how to attack (he never gives me the impression that he’s comfortable on the ball in an attacking sense).

Given how important this position is for us offensively, we might need to sign an upgrade in January (or next summer, at least).

Edit note - And I’ve just learned that I can’t count - should say 16 games in the subject heading!
    1. We are still crap at the back
    2. We are still a small side and need a bit of height
    3. Still can’t take a throwing
    4. Still no squad depth
    5. still making stupid substitutions around the 60 min mark for the sake of it
    6. Not enough firepower

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    1. We are still crap at the back
    2. We are still a small side and need a bit of height
    3. Still can’t take a throwing
    4. Still no squad depth
    5. still making stupid substitutions around the 60 min mark for the sake of it
    6. Not enough firepower

Apart from all that, 2nd in the table. Not too bad for the 1st season back I reckon.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast