+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Watson

Dave Watson

Dear friends and fans - an update to the post published on 26th October regarding the snub to our hero, my husband Dave, by his home town team and the club he started and finished his amazing career at. A club that until recently he was always welcomed at in the boardroom and directors box by all the regimes since we returned to Nottingham back in 1984. You can re-visit the post on this page.

I have heard absolutely nothing from them and still do not know if the CEO has received an email I sent to him. Nor do I know if the current owners and directors know what has been said in their name back on 24th August via WhatsApp from an underling who has seemingly taken it upon himself to become their gatekeeper and through the sad death of Jason Turner been elevated to a position he and his cohort cannot handle.

I am distraught and still have not told Dave about this. Clearly the former players know nothing of this, having had a lovely lunch with one of them and his wife only yesterday. I did not bring up the subject as I don't want Dave getting upset. But you, all his fans can do something about this on our behalf by bombarding the club directors, CEO and owners by social media, posts, press etc and asking why this is happening in their names now? Is it because they are ashamed of him because of his Dementia?

Help me with this campaign PLEASE. My hope is that once the people at the top know they will extend an open invitation to Dave again and I will gladly eat humble pie so that he can enjoy watching football from the directors box, at the team that started it for him. As I think you all know I will do anything for him (and help others with this terrible disease inflicted upon them especially former pro players and their families). If anyone else has a better idea of what to do to rectify this situation I am all ears. Thank you. PENNY

This is from Dave Watson’s wife(Dave has dimentia) what do people think about it ?

This is the first I've heard of this, PnotR. Could you perhaps elaborate on this and explain what was said on 24th August on behalf (?) of the club? Whatever was said has obviously upset Mrs Watson.

I can't see a relevant post started on 26th October so, without knowledge of what was said on 24th August this is a bit puzzling. Could you also highlight the 26th October post?

It all seems a bit confusing and most un-Notts-like to me. It would appear there's some kind of miscommunication happening but it isn't clear who's said what or to whom. Most odd.

That's sad to hear on all counts and so unlike the new Notts County I hope the club rectify this as soon as possible.

Hmmm.

A combination of one or two things I've been told in the past by people who were "in the know" at that time, and the somewhat over-bearing nature of the message, seemingly trying to play on supporters' emotions and sympathies, makes me wary of taking this plea at face value. I won't be "bombarding the club" about it, put it that way. If there has indeed been a block or breakdown in communications between the club and the Watson family, or even the relationship, then I don't think a public message like this is the way to go about restoring it.

So after all that stuff about being a manager, you were in fact a manageress and now expect supporters to give you sympathy? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    I can't see a relevant post started on 26th October so, without knowledge of what was said on 24th August this is a bit puzzling. Could you also highlight the 26th October post?
    This is it. I know nothing about what is going on so just sharing:

Last Friday’s fundraising Charity Dinner at Bolton Wanderers. What a fantastic job they’re doing with work in the community under Phil Mason. Shout out to Bolton’s vibrant chairman Sharron Brittan (next to Dave) who’s passionate about all things ‘community’ and inclusivity, including dementia. Next to her is FA Chair Debbie Hewitt and her hubby Paul, then me. Pity more hierarchy at clubs don’t get actively involved in the community projects as Sharon does.

For instance I’ve been trying to get Notts County to do a Memory Club (since 2015) but to-date unsuccessful!

In fact told recently by Notts (not even by CEO or Director) Dave is no longer welcomed into the Boardroom or Directors Box there!

Their most successful player to have come through their youth system (albeit belatedly) who started his pro career and ended his career there, represented his country many times at a time with fewer subs and games, and proudly wore the captain’s armband and sits in the Royal Box at Wembley, treated like a king at MCFC is told, via me, you can have 2 seats in the stand from now on. (For someone with dementia and of his standing in football history!). Are they discriminating because of his diagnosis?

Jason Turner (CEO who tragically died earlier this year) will be turning in his grave! He always made Dave welcome at County but Jason was a football man! I haven’t told Dave - his self esteem is withering with the dementia any way. This will really upset him (as it does me as I have history back to the 60’s through my dad and ‘uncle’ Bill Hopcroft who knew from age of 6/7 - but that’s another story).

Thank goodness for people like Sharon and Bolton who Dave never even played for.

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive not Reactive View Post
    Dear friends and fans - an update to the post published on 26th October regarding the snub to our hero, my husband Dave, by his home town team and the club he started and finished his amazing career at. A club that until recently he was always welcomed at in the boardroom and directors box by all the regimes since we returned to Nottingham back in 1984. You can re-visit the post on this page.

I have heard absolutely nothing from them and still do not know if the CEO has received an email I sent to him. Nor do I know if the current owners and directors know what has been said in their name back on 24th August via WhatsApp from an underling who has seemingly taken it upon himself to become their gatekeeper and through the sad death of Jason Turner been elevated to a position he and his cohort cannot handle.

I am distraught and still have not told Dave about this. Clearly the former players know nothing of this, having had a lovely lunch with one of them and his wife only yesterday. I did not bring up the subject as I don't want Dave getting upset. But you, all his fans can do something about this on our behalf by bombarding the club directors, CEO and owners by social media, posts, press etc and asking why this is happening in their names now? Is it because they are ashamed of him because of his Dementia?

Help me with this campaign PLEASE. My hope is that once the people at the top know they will extend an open invitation to Dave again and I will gladly eat humble pie so that he can enjoy watching football from the directors box, at the team that started it for him. As I think you all know I will do anything for him (and help others with this terrible disease inflicted upon them especially former pro players and their families). If anyone else has a better idea of what to do to rectify this situation I am all ears. Thank you. PENNY
    I'm not sure of the politics behind this regarding dementia in football and the rest, however if its solely about Dave Watson being allowed to sit in the directors box then the club should hold its head in shame !!. If its solely about NCFC recognising a past Hero on the pitch then give him access to the ground where ever he wants , better still hold a match day tribute to him, for him ! If its all about dementia then I believe his wife needs to hold communications on this behind closed doors once she has kicked them wide open.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast