+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On this day 1991

On this day 1991

As a twelve year old I remember visiting Oakwell for a bonfire night extravaganza when top of the league Middlesbrough came to town in the old division two.

Choice was either to go and watch the firework display in beer garden of the Kendray Hotel or go to the match. Hmm, no brainer so I set off on mi tod walking to Oakwell via a strange route when I think back. It was down Neville Ave then over the railway lines at Stairfoot and onto the black path as i knew it back then. It's now part of the trans pennine trail. Almost pitch black it was at times with only the beam of the Oakwell floodlights casting any kind of light between the trees to guide me. The boom of the fireworks also in the night sky made that walk quite eerie. Feck knows why I went that way, youthful naivety at its worst!

As I drew closer to the end of the black path on Oakwell Lane, and back to civilisation, the ground became more prominent and you could see the mist rising from the pitch above the old brewery stand roof and the away fans chanting and my anticipation grew. I'd been to Oakwell a few times but this time, being on my own, it felt different.

We had a decentish side back then although our start under Mel Machin that season had been bad. The summer had seen the departure from the club of some influential players. The likes of Steve Agnew, Carl Tiler and Clive Baker had left Oakwell and bedding in our new signings had proven difficult and we found ourselves in the bottom 3 on that bonfire night. However, we'd brought in some good players like Redders and Steve Davis as well as my boyhood hero David Currie returning to the club, so I kind of knew that we were likely to get out of trouble as the season wore on. Still, as we were facing a Boro side that night who were challenging for promotion, I wasn't expecting too much result wise that night as I entered the old brewery stand.

The crowd must've been 6 or 7 thousand and Boro had brought their usual ample following. In the Boro side were some household names, Stuart Ripley, Tony Mowbray, Bernie Slaven, Wilko and Hendrie spring to mind. Of course, we'd see the latter two in the Red of Barnsley a few seasons later.

We won the game that night going 2 nil up via a very neat finish from Andy Rammell and a set piece with big Gerry Taggart steaming in at the near post. Buzzing. Aif time and the stench of the pyss behind the Brewery stand I chose that view incidentally because tha'd get a close up of whichever way the Reds were kicking switching ends to suit. First aif we were kicking towards the co-op ground so I took my place stood up near the away fans and the Boro supporters weren't best too pleased being 2 nowt darn. Nasty barstewards. Quite intimidating to witness being 12 years old.

Second aif they came on strong as tha'd expect and got a goal back but we managed to see it through. I wo chuffed to bits. A walked ooam via a more sensible route, went to bed and the day after at school, i told my Liverpool, Everton and Man United supporting mates what a great night I'd experienced. They didn't seem all that interested. In fact, they ridiculed me turning their noses up at the likes of Barnsley but I didn't care, I was growing into a proper fan.

That were the thing back then, the big hitters would come calling and we seemed to turn em ova. Oakwell was never an easy place to come to back then, especially on a cold night. As I say, we took some good scalps back then and it seemed so sweet.

Today, I look back to 32 years ago with a glint in my eye and a smile on my face. My memories of my beloved football club. They were the nights that made me fall in love with the club. As I watch my kids enjoying the fireworks tonight, I'm so glad I chose to go it alone to Oakwell that night in 1991
    Last edited by pass_and_move; 05-11-2023 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    As a twelve year old I remember visiting Oakwell for a bonfire night extravaganza when top of the league Middlesbrough came to town in the old division two.

Choice was either to go and watch the firework display in beer garden of the Kendray Hotel or go to the match. Hmm, no brainer so I set off on mi tod walking to Oakwell via a strange route when I think back. It was down Neville Ave then over the railway lines at Stairfoot and onto the black path as i knew it back then. It's now part of the trans pennine trail. Almost pitch black it was at times with only the beam of the Oakwell floodlights casting any kind of light between the trees to guide me. The boom of the fireworks also in the night sky made that walk quite eerie. Feck knows why I went that way, youthful naivety at its worst!

As I drew closer to the end of the black path on Oakwell Lane, and back to civilisation, the ground became more prominent and you could see the mist rising from the pitch above the old brewery stand roof and the away fans chanting and my anticipation grew. I'd been to Oakwell a few times but this time, being on my own, it felt different.

We had a decentish side back then although our start under Mel Machin that season had been bad. The summer had seen the departure from the club of some influential players. The likes of Steve Agnew, Carl Tiler and Clive Baker had left Oakwell and bedding in our new signings had proven difficult and we found ourselves in the bottom 3 on that bonfire night. However, we'd brought in some good players like Redders and Steve Davis as well as my boyhood hero David Currie returning to the club, so I kind of knew that we were likely to get out of trouble as the season wore on. Still, as we were facing a Boro side that night who were challenging for promotion, I wasn't expecting too much result wise that night as I entered the old brewery stand.

The crowd must've been 6 or 7 thousand and Boro had brought their usual ample following. In the Boro side were some household names, Stuart Ripley, Tony Mowbray, Bernie Slaven, Wilko and Hendrie spring to mind. Of course, we'd see the latter two in the Red of Barnsley a few seasons later.

We won the game that night going 2 nil up via a very neat finish from Andy Rammell and a set piece with big Gerry Taggart steaming in at the near post. Buzzing. Aif time and the stench of the pyss behind the Brewery stand I chose that view incidentally because tha'd get a close up of whichever way the Reds were kicking switching ends to suit. First aif we were kicking towards the co-op ground so I took my place stood up near the away fans and the Boro supporters weren't best too pleased being 2 nowt darn. Nasty barstewards. Quite intimidating to witness being 12 years old.

Second aif they came on strong as tha'd expect and got a goal back but we managed to see it through. I wo chuffed to bits. A walked ooam via a more sensible route, went to bed and the day after at school, i told my Liverpool, Everton and Man United supporting mates what a great night I'd experienced. They didn't seem all that interested. In fact, they ridiculed me turning their noses up at the likes of Barnsley but I didn't care, I was growing into a proper fan.

That were the thing back then, the big hitters would come calling and we seemed to turn em ova. Oakwell was never an easy place to come to back then, especially on a cold night. As I say, we took some good scalps back then and it seemed so sweet.

Today, I look back to 32 years ago with a glint in my eye and a smile on my face. My memories of my beloved football club. They were the nights that made me fall in love with the club. As I watch my kids enjoying the fireworks tonight, I'm so glad I chose to go it alone to Oakwell that night in 1991
    Great post Pass .

Very good read Pass down Memory Lane via Oakwell Lane.
    Once a red always a red, well done.

Great recollections there Pass.

It's amazing the details that stick in thi mind when recollecting such things.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Great recollections there Pass.

It's amazing the details that stick in thi mind when recollecting such things.

Am amazed sometimes how I can remember things from decades ago so vividly yet ask me abart a game from last season and al probably not be able to even tell thi what scooar wo.

I think we'd just lost away to them in the Lg Cup a week or two before, so that match was like an unofficial Cup replay!.
    Its a shame but in that '91 season, Mel ruined all the hard work and momentum from the previous 18 months. And it was the beginning of the end for his time at Oakwell. 😕

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I think we'd just lost away to them in the Lg Cup a week or two before, so that match was like an unofficial Cup replay!.
    Its a shame but in that '91 season, Mel ruined all the hard work and momentum from the previous 18 months. And it was the beginning of the end for his time at Oakwell. 😕
    Looking back I thought Machin did a good job. Like every other manager here, he got the shyte end of the stick but brought in some very good players on the cheap as I mentioned in the original post. Some of his signings were a significant part of the 96/97 promotion side. When tha looks back on his time here, he saved us from relegation in his first season 89/90. Then just missed out on the play offs on goal difference 90/91. Then we were lower mid table 91/92 & 92/93. We also had some good cup runs in his time here. Nowt to be ashamed of theear. If owt, it puts some of our recent seasons into perspective and meks thi realise that despite genius James' heroics in keeping the club afloat, we were debt free and steady away in the 2nd tier under Machin with smaller gates to boot.

Yeah he/Mel did brilliantly to keep us up in season '89, and season '90 was one of my favourite seasons. Remember it was 'effectively' a Play off season, and we were celebrating that on the last day. The players came out popping the Champagne, and Gerry Taggs must have swigged about 5 bottles lol.
    But then Brighton won their game after about 10 minutes of stoppages, which was unheard of back then.
    And sadly Mel made the mistake (and I think he's said so himself) of playing all 6 new signings at once. These included Phil Whitehead in goal and John Pearson up front. 😵

Pearson came in for more stick than most probably because he was quite a high profile name coming from Leeds. When I think back, and I understand the game more than now than I did back then, Pearson was a good target man and always put his body on the line for the team. Tha wo never ever gonna get 20 goals a season art o him but I bet whoever played off him were grateful for his aerial ability and presence.

Flip the coin and thy edda polar opposite striker to Pearson in David Currie who was so unpredictable. Absolutely brilliant at times yet frustratingly annoying at other times. On his day he were arguably the best player I've ever seen in a red shirt. He had superb feet and an ability to make defenders look stupid. He scored some brilliant goals did Currie. A big game player too and always wanted to entertain with his confidence and skill. He should've played more at top level but his inconsistency was probably his undoing. Mark Crossley tells the story of Curries time at Forest and the ignominy he suffered under Brian Clough. It's quite funny if anybody has heard it.

Yeah ‘****house’ tells it lovely
    Currie’s days were numbered after that,
    Carl tiler went the same way too unfortunately
    Ironically the distinctly average ****house ended up with a great career under ‘big head’

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast