+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Lincoln City 07.11.23 [EFLT]

I agree with others that this competition suffers from an interest problem, made worse by the introduction of the U21 teams. From that point my interest nosedived. Agree with what was said above - a preseason competition would work better, not including the U21’s. In the short term the one thing that maybe would put a nail in its coffin is if the final was between two U21’s. The rest of the league clubs might then think “what’s the point?”

Go on then cos I bet you're all desperate to see this:

Having streamed last nights match, I agree with Durham, - whatever side is picked to play at least needs to put a shift in. We are in the competition whether we like it or not. This “we’re better off out of it” argument always baffles me. All the ties in this competition have given recovering players valuable game time, and some of the younger ones valuable experience. This one gave us an opportunity to pit our wits against a L1 side, and to be fair we weren’t outclassed in many departments, all in all it was an even contest if a bit pedestrian at times. I thought we coped well even with an under strength side and several players not risked (apart from the 2 obvious cock ups which cost us the goals & which everyone watching would have seen)
    To answer the point above about Mahovo, I thought he did extremely well last night. It occurred to me about 20 minutes in that he hadn’t misplaced a pass during that period, (most went back to the CB but that’s Notts’s way, - most do). After that his pass completion (ie to a Notts player) was exemplary.

Mahovo is only 18 as well, very promising indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Mahovo is only 18 as well, very promising indeed.
    Thought he looked good, isn't he normally a central defender?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Thought he looked good, isn't he normally a central defender?
    Only seen him in friendlies / FA Trophy games, but he's always played on the left of a back three.
    Last edited by Elite_Pie; 08-11-2023 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Tell that to those of us who went to watch the game, we expected much better.. I'm not into this taking the piss out of supporters who pay to see the team try to win.. If this is LWs attitude to towards traveling supporters the he has gone down in my estimation..
    Whilst I understand your frustration as a travelling supporter I don’t think any professional footballer especially the ones at the club at this moment in time and especially this manager would be so disrespectful to the supporters. It’s just not what we are about these days as a club. I hope in the cold light of day your estimations of LW remain high.

What I do think the players would do (as I’ve not seen the game) is naturally be more conservative and cautious because we can’t afford to have any more injuries to key players. Likewise we have not got a massive squad which is not a bad thing either. It’s natural to be that way unconsciously and for me our priority is the league.

I also think that by nature of what the competition is and the circumstances which we find ourselves in due the injuries it does mean that those who did travel should have expected to see a side that contained a number of fringe players or young prospects who may have not had many minutes yet and also key first team players being more conservative. As such with the starting eleven having not played as a unit competitively in a league game it would be safe to assume things may have been a little disjointed and not to the quality that we have come to expect. It comes with the territory.

Credit and fair play to you and those couple of hundred die hards who did make the trip over to Lincoln. I’d sooner us be out of that competition than risk having anyone else on the sidelines such as someone like Langstaff who played last night.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Whilst I understand your frustration as a travelling supporter I don’t think any professional footballer especially the ones at the club at this moment in time and especially this manager would be so disrespectful to the supporters. It’s just not what we are about these days as a club. I hope in the cold light of day your estimations of LW remain high.

What I do think the players would do (as I’ve not seen the game) is naturally be more conservative and cautious because we can’t afford to have any more injuries to key players. Likewise we have not got a massive squad which is not a bad thing either. It’s natural to be that way unconsciously and for me our priority is the league.

I also think that by nature of what the competition is and the circumstances which we find ourselves in due the injuries it does mean that those who did travel should have expected to see a side that contained a number of fringe players or young prospects who may have not had many minutes yet and also key first team players being more conservative. As such with the starting eleven having not played as a unit competitively in a league game it would be safe to assume things may have been a little disjointed and not to the quality that we have come to expect. It comes with the territory.

Credit and fair play to you and those couple of hundred die hards who did make the trip over to Lincoln. I’d sooner us be out of that competition than risk having anyone else on the sidelines such as someone like Langstaff who played last night.
    Totally agree, I also didn’t see the game and don’t make too many away but in all the games I’ve seen under LW the one thing I have never thought is the players aren’t putting it in, very occasionally sloppy and lethargic.
    I think what we miss when we change too many is rhythm, all those combinations over the pitch seamlessly working, it can look a bit laboured for me with too many changes and it’s understandable.

Tell that to those of us who went to watch the game, we expected much better.. I'm not into this taking the piss out of supporters who pay to see the team try to win.. If this is LWs attitude to towards traveling supporters the he has gone down in my estimation..
    You follow Notts up and down the country yet you rarely have anything good to say. That schtick worked when we were routinely sh!t, now it seems you just like to have a moan.

The game last night was just down the road from me, I still wouldn’t have gone it it was across the road. The competition is ridiculous and fans shouldn’t support it imo, if LW and the the team didn’t take it seriously either fair play to them.

They should at least make an effort, and not make it look as though they are not bothered.. Its not the supporters fault that we dont have enough players to compete.
    We've got a small, beat up squad. We need to play the young players to give them every chance of making it and to give minutes to players coming back from injury.
    Lincoln are an established L1 team, they beat us at a canter in the League Cup and last week their U18 beat us comfortably too.
    I streamed the game and although we never looked like winning we didn't look like we were on the beach either. They had a stronger defence that held firm with a midfield shielding them that smothered us.
    We need the likes of Langstaff, O'Brien , Cameron and Austin to be fit on Saturday so why you want them cream crackered on a dead end game is beyond me.
    The idea that Luke Williamson has gone down in your estimation for being pragmatic and making the best of the hand he's been dealt seems very harsh to me.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast