+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suella Braverman.

Suella Braverman.

Suella Braverman may well be correct in many of her assertions but it is her rhetoric which causes upset. If she tempered her language I’m sure that she would be listened to more sympathetically. Many of you will disagree with my point of view and are entitled to do so.

Regarding the upcoming Remembrance Sunday, I personally think that it is inappropriate to hold a protest march on the day when we remember all those who gave their lives in order that we have these democratic rights. I am of the generation who lost parents in that fight, fortunately I was not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Suella Braverman may well be correct in many of her assertions but it is her rhetoric which causes upset. If she tempered her language I’m sure that she would be listened to more sympathetically. Many of you will disagree with my point of view and are entitled to do so.

Regarding the upcoming Remembrance Sunday, I personally think that it is inappropriate to hold a protest march on the day when we remember all those who gave their lives in order that we have these democratic rights. I am of the generation who lost parents in that fight, fortunately I was not one of them.
    If or when it kicks off on Saturday, then she should take some responsibility for whipping up this divisive rhetoric. It reminds me a bit of Trump during the Capital riots.

I'm just so fed up of these disastrous career politicians. Who says what they do to appease people, that she thinks will enable her to get the top job.

The Tories will most likely get slaughtered at the next election, which will open up a position at the top of the party. All she has to do is get the media onside and here we go...

More populist, divisive nonsense from her. From a populist, divisive party who have trashed the country in the last 13 years. And she'll probably be the next leader of them.

I totally agree with you Leics. She is probably saying what the majority of the population are thinking. However, she is in a position where she should be putting her point of view over more tactfully.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    I totally agree with you Leics. She is probably saying what the majority of the population are thinking. However, she is in a position where she should be putting her point of view over more tactfully.
    Its a really sad state of affairs if like her, people think homeless people sleeping in tents is a lifestyle choice.

But nothing surprises me anymore with the way some people think in this country.

Still think Suella Braverman is a nasty piece of work. Tbh, I don't know what drives her whether she thinks she is being populist or "strong" but she seems to revel in her own divisiveness and knee jerk reactionism. Like Truss and a few others in the right of the Tory Party, she seems to be a kind of Thatcher wannabe with none of Thatcher's ability nor intelligence.

Don't get me wrong, I too strongly believe that measures to prevent people from disrupting Remembrance Day events should be taken - but this should not mean banning other protests if they are held elsewhere. That a politician should seek to use the police to ban protests that are legally allowed is a very slippery slope that works at eroding hard won freedom of expression in this country.

The whole situation around the Israel / Hamas war demonstrates just how closed-minded too many people are and how easy it is for those with extremist views (on either side) to hi-jack events. Problems are solved better with dialogue than posturing and you don't fight discrimination and wrongs by simply "cancelling" the views of others.

Tin hat time, but whilst I personally strongly condemn the heinous actions of Hamas, I equally condemn the illegal expansionism of Israel and their treatment of Palestinians over many years. Both right wing Zionism and Islamic extremism clearly exist but not all Jews are pro Zionist expansionism and not all Muslims are pro Islamic extremism. The current levels of both anti-Semitism and Islamophobia are shameful and Braverman's rhetoric is only stirring the pot.

Speaking out against Zionism is not the same as being anti-Semitic. The Jewish people suffered unimaginable horrors during the Holocaust and have been persecuted for centuries but the shadow of this should not give Israel a free pass when it comes to criticism of their policies. Be nice if just one Western politician had the b ollocks to call It as It is. I don't know whether their reluctance to do so is through fear of being labelled anti-Semitic or whether it is through geo-political considerations.

It is clear, however, that a great many view the current actions of Israel in Gaza as wrong. Targeting Hamas terrorists is a legitimate aim but surely the huge "collateral" damage to so many innocent civilians is entering war crime territory (never mind only likely to be self defeating in terms of engendering even more anti Israel hatred amongst Palestinians). In the light of this, are we really saying that those who oppose Israel's actions there should not be allowed to protest ? I don't doubt that there will be a small minority of extremists who will seek to hi Jack any peaceful protest and try and disrupt Remembrance Day events and these should be dealt with. By all means use the police to try and ensure such tactics are prevented and do not allow pro Palestinian protests in the same location as Remembrance events but to blanket ban them seems a slippery slope indeed.

If you believe that a large part of Remembrance Day is recalling those who gave their lives in the service of liberty and freedom would that not also include the protection of lawful protest?

I find my self agreeing more with some, not all of her views, this causes me quite a bit of anguish. I don’t however like to see our hard won freedoms eroded, people should be free to march whenever they want, however with freedoms come responsibilities, march on Friday , march on Monday just don’t do it over such a sensitive and nationally important 2 days of Armistice day and Remembrance Sunday.
    Those marching with ‘ Free Palestine’ banners should reflect on what those so called freedoms are under the Hamas controlled area, idiots…

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    I find my self agreeing more with some, not all of her views, this causes me quite a bit of anguish. I don’t however like to see our hard won freedoms eroded, people should be free to march whenever they want, however with freedoms come responsibilities, march on Friday , march on Monday just don’t do it over such a sensitive and nationally important 2 days of Armistice day and Remembrance Sunday.
    Those marching with ‘ Free Palestine’ banners should reflect on what those so called freedoms are under the Hamas controlled area, idiots…
    Your last comment indeed!
    Free Palestinians from Hamas as much as from Israeli occupation

The question I would ask though is if Israel had acted differently over the years and not adopted such an expansionist policy and treated the Palestinian community better, would such an extremist group like Hamas have been able to flourish and end up taking control of Gaza? In many ways perhaps Israel's actions have enabled Hamas and Iranian extremists have also taken advantage of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    My views exactly!

I find much of the stuff being reported these days regarding politics to be very questionable. Large sections of the media are clearly left leaning and are not providing balanced reports. The TV companies are the most guilty in this respect, in my opinion. The BBC is quite obviously not providing balanced coverage of ‘news’. We are not being fed the truth; politics is riven with liars and power hungry villains with ulterior motives. Probably one of the most popular politicians of recent times was Boris Johnson and if he were still leader of the Conservatives, they would have a much greater chance of victory in the next election than Rishi Sunak; he is still hugely popular amongst the general public, not that you would know it from the reporting of the BBC, ITV or Channel 4. I have always thought of Boris as a buffoon but that is not the point. So, as for the subject of this thread, Suella Braverman, she may well come across on the media as a ‘nasty piece of work’ but we only hear what we are fed by the news channels, who have their own agendas.

It would be an understatement to say the the Conservatives have not been something of a shambles in government but that does not mean that Labour would be any better, in fact, they could well be worse. Not much cause for optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I find much of the stuff being reported these days regarding politics to be very questionable. Large sections of the media are clearly left leaning and are not providing balanced reports. The TV companies are the most guilty in this respect, in my opinion. The BBC is quite obviously not providing balanced coverage of ‘news’. We are not being fed the truth; politics is riven with liars and power hungry villains with ulterior motives. Probably one of the most popular politicians of recent times was Boris Johnson and if he were still leader of the Conservatives, they would have a much greater chance of victory in the next election than Rishi Sunak; he is still hugely popular amongst the general public, not that you would know it from the reporting of the BBC, ITV or Channel 4. I have always thought of Boris as a buffoon but that is not the point. So, as for the subject of this thread, Suella Braverman, she may well come across on the media as a ‘nasty piece of work’ but we only hear what we are fed by the news channels, who have their own agendas.

It would be an understatement to say the the Conservatives have not been something of a shambles in government but that does not mean that Labour would be any better, in fact, they could well be worse. Not much cause for optimism.
    We need the best as politicians, but they stay well away leaving us to choose from the "less able". The current government front bench is bad enough, but the one on the opposite side doesn't instill any optimism either.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)