+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Injuries

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Slight change of "tone" there?
    Watching Gray against Leicester and Plymouth, his link-up play with Kamara and James, hold-up and challenges won etc, I'd be asking why you wouldn't play him if fit, rather than bring a player already having suffered serious injury and risk disrupting a formula that works?
    The Post & thread was injury.
    I mentioned Byram in those respects only - of course he's done well (for now).

Gray at righ-back ?
    Done well - but again our wide player (James) tracks back consistently to help - as does Summerville on the other flank.
    Small Farke details - but wow they are effective when all are fit.

Only two niggling "not-sures" still for me when injury occurs within the squad.

1.Not sure we actually do have "all" proven requisite strengths to move further forward "currently".

2. Not sure all our young Internationals sat on the bench presently will be around & happy to have a run around for the odd 15 minutes or indeed a Cup run out.
    Also suspect (like others) their Agents may have other ideas soon regarding loan out options that no doubt will be written into all said players 'season man-management planning' schedules.

Man-management will also have to now deal with the increased weekly pressure (mental & physical) being put upon all individuals as other teams now emerge as possible promotion contenders into the fray who'll be ready - should we slip up.

Not forgetting the media/press & ferrocious fans social-media blurb who are all capable makers/breakers regarding matters Leeds Utd.
    So plenty to contend with to come for sure, imo, from all directions covering the 24/7 Leeds roadshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    The Post & thread was injury.
    I mentioned Byram in those respects only - of course he's done well (for now).

Gray at righ-back ?
    Done well - but again our wide player (James) tracks back consistently to help - as does Summerville on the other flank.
    Small Farke details - but wow they are effective when all are fit.

Only two niggling "not-sures" still for me when injury occurs within the squad.

1.Not sure we actually do have "all" proven requisite strengths to move further forward "currently".

2. Not sure all our young Internationals sat on the bench presently will be around & happy to have a run around for the odd 15 minutes or indeed a Cup run out.
    Also suspect (like others) their Agents may have other ideas soon regarding loan out options that no doubt will be written into all said players 'season man-management planning' schedules.

Man-management will also have to now deal with the increased weekly pressure (mental & physical) being put upon all individuals as other teams now emerge as possible promotion contenders into the fray who'll be ready - should we slip up.

Not forgetting the media/press & ferrocious fans social-media blurb who are all capable makers/breakers regarding matters Leeds Utd.
    So plenty to contend with to come for sure, imo, from all directions covering the 24/7 Leeds roadshow.
    Ok, it's hardly a secret that Byram has has injury issues, my reason for challenging you was there are a number of other players, (some new, some "old guard") who have similar injury histories that you didn't mention (given as you say that the thread title was "Injuries" not "Injuries to Sam Byram").

As for "Gray at right back?", why not, the fact that James tracks back (I agree he does, often and to great effect) is simply another factor that makes his (Grays) performance possible/more likely to persist.

On less contentious matters, I agree, there is a very real risk of us falling into a false sense of security simply because, at present, we are doing well and it's always easy to assume that will continue. Ask Leicester or Ipswich fans about the last two weeks and it's fairly evident that isn't likely, and we need to ensure we can withstand the shock of losing from time to time. Self-evident truth maybe, but we have failed to do so in the past, hopefully Farke will have hardened the squad to the realities of the Championship and its hardships (particularly the newcomers, none of whom have any substantial experience (if any) of the Championship meat grinder).

As for the risk of players leaving, one way of at least mitigating that risk, if not eradicating it, is to give those players a taste of what playing 1st team football for LUFC is like, as opposed to being restricted to the "youth" teams. I agree with others that a cup run is a useful "shop window" but Farke needs to take those who shine (IF they shine) and show them what being a LUFC 1st 11 player could be (and how they might help us to gain promotion).

On competition for promotion, nothing we can do to control how good or bad they are, just win when we face them, simples!
    Last edited by WTF11; 13-11-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Ok, it's hardly a secret that Byram has has injury issues, my reason for challenging you was there are a number of other players, (some new, some "old guard") who have similar injury histories that you didn't mention (given as you say that the thread title was "Injuries" not "Injuries to Sam Byram").

As for "Gray at right back?", why not, the fact that James tracks back (I agree he does, often and to great effect) is simply another factor that makes his (Grays) performance possible/more likely to persist.
    Reading today that Farke confirmed Byram has a hamstring pull.

Also Jamie Shackleton absence of late was a glute issue.
    Hope it was was a strain as tendon tears in that area can become problematic if not managed right & eventually can require surgery.

So yes, full- backs at Leeds certainly need to be fully mobile to perform their job, more so than when performing in midfield under Herr Farke.

Your comment of maybe "persisting with Gray at fullback" then i'd suggest looking at our injuries of late occupying those positions i've previously mentioned.
    Maybe a midfield berth may be better for Grays continued development.

Hjelde has been good for the u21s and is naturally left footed - hope he comes back into the mix too.

Charlie Allen and McGurk have also been very good recently too.

Just wanted to recap on players carrying injury.

In football, kinematics is used to analyse the motion of players to improve their technique & performance.
    Below is the gist of what budding pro's are put through at the York football academy college & what i was trying to explain in posts above particularly Sam Byram.

The speed in which a player runs is governed by his stride. That speed & number of strides a player takes in a given time is crucial regarding "hamstring injuries".

If the player is not obstructed or interfered with, he is likely to obtain the same results as a track-sprinter in that situation having a smooth glide-sprint technique.

But a players ability to avoid an opponent by changing his speed & direction that he/she is moving in depends on the nature of his forces exerted against the ground via his feet & by the rapidity in which they brings all said forces into play.

Hamstring injury 'tho is most likely to occur via the speed of releasing the ball & body angle when releasing it & also the height of contact with ball upon contact of it.

So exerted forces (contact/changing direction), distance ran, physique & body position at release of ball require 'durable' muscle mass/frame ratios.

Hence my Byram comments & his susceptibility to certain match playing situations/conditions, which the player openly admits requires disciplined daily man-management.

Big thanks to Lewis Bulmer - Head Physio York City & York Youth Academy for kindly explaining above points to me & the importance of man-management of said long term injury and indeed mental health career issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Just wanted to recap on players carrying injury.

In football, kinematics is used to analyse the motion of players to improve their technique & performance.
    Below is the gist of what budding pro's are put through at the York football academy college & what i was trying to explain in posts above particularly Sam Byram.

The speed in which a player runs is governed by his stride. That speed & number of strides a player takes in a given time is crucial regarding "hamstring injuries".

If the player is not obstructed or interfered with, he is likely to obtain the same results as a track-sprinter in that situation having a smooth glide-sprint technique.

But a players ability to avoid an opponent by changing his speed & direction that he/she is moving in depends on the nature of his forces exerted against the ground via his feet & by the rapidity in which they brings all said forces into play.

Hamstring injury 'tho is most likely to occur via the speed of releasing the ball & body angle when releasing it & also the height of contact with ball upon contact of it.

So exerted forces (contact/changing direction), distance ran, physique & body position at release of ball require 'durable' muscle mass/frame ratios.

Hence my Byram comments & his susceptibility to certain match playing situations/conditions, which the player openly admits requires disciplined daily man-management.

Big thanks to Lewis Bulmer - Head Physio York City & York Youth Academy for kindly explaining above points to me & the importance of man-management of said long term injury and indeed mental health career issues.
    In Farke's latest update, Byram appears to have recovered so could very well play tomorrow evening. Unfortunately, Rutter has picked up an abdominal strain. So very doubtful.

Suspect Piroe will play as a 9 with someone coming in behind him as a 10.

Be interesting to see who plays and who is on the bench.

Struijk and Spence are both back in training I believe.

Will be tough away v Rotherham and they had close games against Leicester and Ipswich at their gaff and seem to keep playing for 90 mins.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)