+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not too big but not too small

Not too big but not too small

I'm 3 seasons back into watching Notts every week again for the first time since 1990. I had season tickets all through the Barnwell and Warnock years but then kids, work and house moves meant that it was radio only for me until a few years ago. In the time in between I've been watching games at Spurs whilst living in London and my kids took up Man Utd as their team because life ain't easy at school following a team in the NL. They are now 15 and 17 and come to Notts with me every week and have dropped Man Utd like a stone. They both say that the atmosphere and feeling that they get when Meadow Lane is jumping beats anything they felt at Spurs or Man Utd, but the question they ask me is how far do we really want to get up the leagues before the joy is lost and it all becomes just too serious and loses its family feel, giving way to the money train in the prem. Do we want to be like Luton or yo-yo like Norwich or be solid in League 1?. I can't answer them but I do know that it has never felt better to be a Notts fan than it does now for me.....

....and Saturday will be Crewe 1 - 2 Notts

It's hard to answer this. I have no interest in Premier League football right now and dislike what it has become, but watching my club climb the leagues and compete at the top would be rather incredible, even if we did lose a lot of what we love about the club in the process. I don't expect that to happen though.

I've always thought our 'natural' position was as a decent L1 side, with a few seasons here and there in the Championship. A bit like Peterborough or Rotherham. My favourite ever season as a Notts fan was the one where we just missed out on the playoffs in what is now the Championship. The Mick Walker season, before it all started to unravel. Playing the likes of Forest, Leicester, Derby, Birmingham, Wolves, West Brom. If we could do that again, it would be wonderful, but football has changed, and you need mega money even to compete in the second tier.

Wherever we end up, the journey is always better than the destination, so enjoy the ride. Eventually the pendulum will swing the other way once again.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 10-11-2023 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Floodlightclimber View Post
    I'm 3 seasons back into watching Notts every week again for the first time since 1990. I had season tickets all through the Barnwell and Warnock years but then kids, work and house moves meant that it was radio only for me until a few years ago. In the time in between I've been watching games at Spurs whilst living in London and my kids took up Man Utd as their team because life ain't easy at school following a team in the NL. They are now 15 and 17 and come to Notts with me every week and have dropped Man Utd like a stone. They both say that the atmosphere and feeling that they get when Meadow Lane is jumping beats anything they felt at Spurs or Man Utd, but the question they ask me is how far do we really want to get up the leagues before the joy is lost and it all becomes just too serious and loses its family feel, giving way to the money train in the prem. Do we want to be like Luton or yo-yo like Norwich or be solid in League 1?. I can't answer them but I do know that it has never felt better to be a Notts fan than it does now for me.....

....and Saturday will be Crewe 1 - 2 Notts
    That's a great story. My children have finally shown signs of being bitten by the Notts bug as well.

To answer your main question....all the fun is in the trying I think. Without the goal and motivation to get to the next level and go up the pyramid, there's no meaning. If a club tries to manage its fate, and curb its ambitions, it'll backfire and the fanbase will know, the buzz will go and many will drift away.

Look at the amazing atmosphere at Luton home games again this year in their old, undersized ground. That's not the ennui of spoilt Man Utd fans.

Like many on here I've actually been at top flight league wins over Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Forest etc. So why not dream and think that might happen again?

Now living in Ireland it was hard to get my lad growing up to follow Notts, all the kids at school followed the big boys. Liverpool his choice, but he took an interest in Notts as he has got older & is now going to Oz & ordered the old home bitter top to take with his other Notts tops. I'm currently in hospital in Dublin walking around in the Jake Bugg away top & got asked by a old man on the ward who was it.
    As for the prem. Naturally would love to see us have one season there, to say we have at least been there. Personally I'd spend very little & invest the millions in the club before having another attempt at it.
    I actually think we could do alright scouting players the way we do without spending the big buck. Would like to smash the Agana fee though

Really interesting question.
    Agree always felt out natural or rightful level is top half of League One with a visits a league up and down.
    Premier League money has ruined football , in terms of watching live from your seat, and for the vast majority of people it makes entertaining TV viewing from the sofa, only. As a result I now view the Championship as Notts' top flight if that makes sense? The gaps between each league due to money in the game have all widened and as we know the gaps increase as you go up the pyramid.

If we ever reach the Championship again , then you never know with a fair wind and a top top coach we could do a Luton and have one season in the premier league getting beat week in week out but being an absolute pest to the billionaires boys club. Would be very surreal to hear the pundits talking and criticising Notts defending against world class talent.

But as said right now feels great to be a Notts fan and we are far more likely to move up a league then down and I believe under these owners the Championship is a realistic aim during their time as owners.

Quote Originally Posted by thefulltenyards View Post
    Premier League money has ruined football , in terms of watching live from your seat, and for the vast majority of people it makes entertaining TV viewing from the sofa, only. As a result I now view the Championship as Notts' top flight if that makes sense?
    Totally agree with all that.

Another quick question. One of my early memories at Notts as a kid with my old man was a game where I missed most of the action watching away fans climbing our old floodlights in the kop (hence the floodlightclimber tag). For some reason I reckon it was against Middlesborough, maybe in the cup, but can't seem to work it out. Based upon my age it must have been somewhere between 1984 and 1988 but maybe I'm dreaming it. any thoughts?.

I'd be satisfied with League 1, because as long as we're down here we are one relegation away from non-league. Must admit I enjoyed the NL a lot more than I thought I would, but would never want to return. Championship would be nice, but I have no desire for the Premiership. The curse of VAR would ruin the game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Floodlightclimber View Post
    Another quick question. One of my early memories at Notts as a kid with my old man was a game where I missed most of the action watching away fans climbing our old floodlights in the kop (hence the floodlightclimber tag). For some reason I reckon it was against Middlesborough, maybe in the cup, but can't seem to work it out. Based upon my age it must have been somewhere between 1984 and 1988 but maybe I'm dreaming it. any thoughts?.
    I mainly associate Leeds with that. But they were relegated in 1982. We'd have passed them on our drop in 84/85. Maybe one of those.

I'd quite like to be top half championship. Being in the prem would ruin my enjoyment with too many non 3pm Saturday Kick Offs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast