+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T Ice Hockey Death

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    It says more about human nature. Remember all the vile posts on social media about Nicola Bully and her family, some of those were made on this site. Why do people, decent people, have to speculate about other misfortune. It is not only FM sites that these sorts of comments are made it is over all media sources.

I won’t say anymore other, I thought the backbone of the British legal system was you were innocent until proven guilty.
    Whilst I certainly agree with you about the nasty nature of "trial by social media" especially in cases where the full facts are not known and speculation is based on rumour and scant physical evidence, I think this case is a little different precisely because of the available video footage.

As most football fans know from experience of VAR, interpretations of such footage can still vary but don't think there is much doubt in this case that it was this players skate that caused the fatal cut. The question is then all around intent. I don't for a second think he intended to kill him but the logical options outside of that are surely either that 1) he deliberately intended to kick him or 2) he slipped or mis-timed a challenge (which would still have been judged a reckless one). Yes, the video footage is poor but the slow motion replay looked to me that it was a deliberate kick as his leg was quite high and cannot see how an experienced ice hockey player could not have controlled that better.

Yes, it could have been an "accident" but I'm sure we have all seen plenty of bad tackles in football that have earnt red cards where, in the vast majority of cases, the victim has been lucky enough to get away without serious injury but there have also been cases that this has led to broken legs etc. Think this is a case of a bad challenge gone wrong with tragic (and unintended) consequences but that there must still be some culpability taken for that.

As for "innocent until proven guilty", yes, you would have thought this would be a basic tenet of English law but I can assure you that (quite outside the sphere of social media) the exceptionally slow process of our policing and legal system make a bit of a laughing stock of this idea when it comes to some investigations.

There is no doubt that the influence from the media especially social media can be toxic and deliberately exaggerate and distort the truth for short term popularity.
    But we must simply follow the evidence and what many people on here say publicly is just what they are witnessing and interpreting with their own eyes.
    I stand by my own interpretation and to me it looked more like a deliberate attempt to stop the other player. Intent to injure? that is the question and I would then say if the answer is yes to what degree.

A sensible conclusion would be , he went too far this time and has crossed the line and I can see why he has been questioned by law enforcement.

Still haven't seen the video and I'm not rushing in where angels fear to tread. But from my limited knowledge of ice skates it seems pretty obvious to me that a blade attached to a foot which is designed to cut through ice is very likely to cause either life changing injuries or even death if raised above a certain height.

Whatever this bloke's intentions he's an experienced ice hockey player and should have known better. Does anyone know whether he has a track record of wreckless challenges above and beyond the 'normal' levels of violence on ice that is ice hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Still haven't seen the video and I'm not rushing in where angels fear to tread. But from my limited knowledge of ice skates it seems pretty obvious to me that a blade attached to a foot which is designed to cut through ice is very likely to cause either life changing injuries or even death if raised above a certain height.

Whatever this bloke's intentions he's an experienced ice hockey player and should have known better. Does anyone know whether he has a track record of wreckless challenges above and beyond the 'normal' levels of violence on ice that is ice hockey?
    Read somewhere that he did have a bad track record regarding violent conduct. Not sure whether that’s true or not though.

Horrible accidents with ice skates in ice hockey have happened over here now and then (ice hockey is big and have a long tradition here). The ones I can recall have involved a player down on the ice, and someone else accidentally and involuntarily, ”stepped on his throat” (often pushed/tackled by, yet another, someone else).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)