+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: January window.

January window.

Okay...with Swale and I still going round in circles on the Crewe thread and mischievous Rich starting a thinly disguised ‘Warne out’ thread, let’s look ahead more objectively to the next window being opened in just six weeks time.

Where do we expect to be by then, what do we need, what can we afford, what do we anticipate being possible and how should we react if ‘loadsamoney’ Wayne comes a knockin’?

For me...on the evidence so far, I expect to be in or around the top six on about forty points after Posh at home on New Year’s Day, so handily placed...with the right strengthening. Anything less will be a disappointment, anything more...a bonus.

At the moment our main requirements are, imo, two fold. A midfield enforcer/leader and someone up front with some ‘presence’...if not an out and out goal scorer (nice but difficult), a bit of a ‘warhorse’ who can cause some chaos up front providing our existing strikers with more opportunities.

Of course our ability to strengthen is complicated by doubts about our current personnel. Will Nyambe be back? Will Rooney come in for Bird and Cashin (maybe more)...would you sell and for how much? Will Rosenior start a bidding war with Rooney over Bird? Will John Jules still be here or returning to Arsenal with his sick note?

Thoughts?

I guess Bird, Cashin and Sibley may be vulnerable to our ex managers raisings and we could leverage that to our advantage IF, and it's a big IF we want to become a lower league farm club. If we sell, can we even use the funds to strengthen? If we sell we will have flogged all the crown jewels if the academy and in my mind will tear the soul out of the club. Will just be left with a team of journeyman pros with no connection to the club.

If we have ambition, we won't sell but the players, if they have ambition, may want to go and we may need the cash. The usual lower league dilemma.

We do need to bring in new players but not at any cost. If we can retain those three (and get them to commit in the summer if we go up) we might have a base to build on in Championship If we sell to bring in a few more journeymen, we won't have a base even if we go up.

It's a risk either way - to stick or twist. Personally I'd stick, but it may be out of Paw's hands

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I guess Bird, Cashin and Sibley may be vulnerable to our ex managers raisings and we could leverage that to our advantage IF, and it's a big IF we want to become a lower league farm club. If we sell, can we even use the funds to strengthen? If we sell we will have flogged all the crown jewels if the academy and in my mind will tear the soul out of the club. Will just be left with a team of journeyman pros with no connection to the club.

If we have ambition, we won't sell but the players, if they have ambition, may want to go and we may need the cash. The usual lower league dilemma.

We do need to bring in new players but not at any cost. If we can retain those three (and get them to commit in the summer if we go up) we might have a base to build on in Championship If we sell to bring in a few more journeymen, we won't have a base even if we go up.

It's a risk either way - to stick or twist. Personally I'd stick, but it may be out of Paw's hands
    I’m with you on that one, certainly as far as Cashin is concerned. There was talk of £4m to Brighton at the end of the summer and I guess that might be difficult to resist, but my question would be...can we get anything better or more reliable and Cash, in particular, does represent the ‘soul’ of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Okay...with Swale and I still going round in circles on the Crewe thread and mischievous Rich starting a thinly disguised ‘Warne out’ thread, let’s look ahead more objectively to the next window being opened in just six weeks time.

Where do we expect to be by then, what do we need, what can we afford, what do we anticipate being possible and how should we react if ‘loadsamoney’ Wayne comes a knockin’?

For me...on the evidence so far, I expect to be in or around the top six on about forty points after Posh at home on New Year’s Day, so handily placed...with the right strengthening. Anything less will be a disappointment, anything more...a bonus.

At the moment our main requirements are, imo, two fold. A midfield enforcer/leader and someone up front with some ‘presence’...if not an out and out goal scorer (nice but difficult), a bit of a ‘warhorse’ who can cause some chaos up front providing our existing strikers with more opportunities.

Of course our ability to strengthen is complicated by doubts about our current personnel. Will Nyambe be back? Will Rooney come in for Bird and Cashin (maybe more)...would you sell and for how much? Will Rosenior start a bidding war with Rooney over Bird? Will John Jules still be here or returning to Arsenal with his sick note?

Thoughts?
    My first thought is that your a lot more positive than on the Crewe thread, good!

I see we are being linked online with CJ Hamilton of Blackpool, a right winger or right wing back, not really sure this is what the team needs?

On the Striker issue, I would err towards seeing if we can get one in on loan, assuming John- Jules goes back, or even if he doesn't. I see little chance of acquiring a prolific goal scorer on a permanent basis and as GP rightly says, it would be another player surplus to requirements should we actually get promotion.

We certainly need some strength and tackling ability in midfield, and a good holding midfielder who can command that area would IMO be worth spending some money on.

Nyambe has a contract until January, which could be extended if he is willing, I believe that's complicated by the fact he may well be missing for most of January as he plays for Namibia in the African Cup Of Nations, that may put other clubs off from offering him a contract, but also means we won't have him if he stays for at least 4 weeks. Hopefully ward will be back and stay fit before then.

Brighton are almost certainly going to make a bid for Cashin, if a deal can be done which sees him stay on loan with Derby until the end of the season then that won't be an issue.

Bird and Sibley? If they have no inclination to sign new contracts, then if reasonable bids come in, the club probably has not choice to be to get best price now, a £2 million for each would be good.

Derby could use that cash to finance replacements, as long as the income and expenditure is within the parameters of the business plan, though there may be a cap on the max transfer fee that can be offered. The question is whether there are players of the quality required available of course. If we are top 6, then that should make attracting players easier, if we are not I suspect it might be an issue.

Not sure what Elder's fitness is like but maybe a loan at LB would be needed to cover?

In short, 2 loans - LB, ST, 2 transfers to strengthen the midfield. Thats without losing any players w

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    My first thought is that your a lot more positive than on the Crewe thread, good!

I see we are being linked online with CJ Hamilton of Blackpool, a right winger or right wing back, not really sure this is what the team needs?

On the Striker issue, I would err towards seeing if we can get one in on loan, assuming John- Jules goes back, or even if he doesn't. I see little chance of acquiring a prolific goal scorer on a permanent basis and as GP rightly says, it would be another player surplus to requirements should we actually get promotion.

We certainly need some strength and tackling ability in midfield, and a good holding midfielder who can command that area would IMO be worth spending some money on.

Nyambe has a contract until January, which could be extended if he is willing, I believe that's complicated by the fact he may well be missing for most of January as he plays for Namibia in the African Cup Of Nations, that may put other clubs off from offering him a contract, but also means we won't have him if he stays for at least 4 weeks. Hopefully ward will be back and stay fit before then.

Brighton are almost certainly going to make a bid for Cashin, if a deal can be done which sees him stay on loan with Derby until the end of the season then that won't be an issue.

Bird and Sibley? If they have no inclination to sign new contracts, then if reasonable bids come in, the club probably has not choice to be to get best price now, a £2 million for each would be good.

Derby could use that cash to finance replacements, as long as the income and expenditure is within the parameters of the business plan, though there may be a cap on the max transfer fee that can be offered. The question is whether there are players of the quality required available of course. If we are top 6, then that should make attracting players easier, if we are not I suspect it might be an issue.

Not sure what Elder's fitness is like but maybe a loan at LB would be needed to cover?

In short, 2 loans - LB, ST, 2 transfers to strengthen the midfield. Thats without losing any players w
    Understandably difficult to be positive on a thread about two matches where you’ve just shipped five goals in two games against a L2 side.

If I’ve interpreted you correctly...four incoming and no outgoing seems a tad optimistic. Suspect there will be offers for Max Bird and given that his contract ends in the summer (?) I think he’ll be off.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 21-11-2023 at 06:24 PM.

Just a quality midfielder who can combine an ability to get the ball and then work out which way the opposition's goal is with some subtle shin-kicking or other opposition-rattling 'skills'. A few other randoms for cover would be fine, but not bothered about the quantity is quality approach, lets just get ONE fellah with at least the guile of Willie Carlin or Alan Durban, even if its someone at the end of their career looking for a heroic swansong. Feed our current forwards with decent ball and we'll do OK

A straight swap for someone with Hourihane would be great

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Understandably difficult to be positive on a thread about two matches where you’ve just shipped five goals in two games against a L2 side.

If I’ve interpreted you correctly...four incoming and no outgoing seems a tad optimistic. Suspect there will be offers for Max Bird and given that his contract ends in the summer (?) I think he’ll be off.
    I mentioned departures rA, just as we don't know who or if anyone will leave, its a tad difficult to suggest a replacement, but pointed out that we would need to replace any player that left, in addition to the acquisitions I suggest are needed.

Of course in reality, the club should be aware of any interest and have a clear strategy as to what the stance is going to be on offers and have plans based on what is expected by the club to happen. I'm not privy to that obviously.
    Last edited by swaledale; 21-11-2023 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Just a quality midfielder who can combine an ability to get the ball and then work out which way the opposition's goal is with some subtle shin-kicking or other opposition-rattling 'skills'. A few other randoms for cover would be fine, but not bothered about the quantity is quality approach, lets just get ONE fellah with at least the guile of Willie Carlin or Alan Durban, even if its someone at the end of their career looking for a heroic swansong. Feed our current forwards with decent ball and we'll do OK

I would agree, thats the priority anything else is a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Perhaps he might fancy a spell in Aberdeen.

Corey Blackett Taylor now linked as well as CJ Hamilton. Apparently the former still hasn’t renewed a contract beyond the end of this season with Charlton. Would imagine it’s an either/or. Both have reputations as quite dynamic and strong in the NML mould, but I don’t know much else about either.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)