+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot self driving cars.

Ot self driving cars.

Would you need insurance,as the maker of the software should be responsible if it crashed.
    Will no claims bonus not happen anymore?
    Will the makers pay for your injuries?
    Bit of a minefield.

You probably would need something, if only to cover your own vehicle in case you got hit by an uninsured driver. I'm guessing that the vehicle manufacturers will have some sort of waiver of responsibility also so the onus will be on the 'driver' if an accident occurs.

Always expect the unexpected

The human brain copes with the unexpected very well, a machine with AI driving it will only match its programming.

Example.
    Car drives into a busy stop full of people (it will happen)
    Who gets sued?

Well if it was here in the US everyone including the driver, the passengers, the car manufacturer, the company who developed the software and even the department of transport and the bus company who owned the bus stop.

I like driving, when were the motorists asked if they wanted this ?
    Bloody stupid idea.

The one who gets sued is usually the one who has the most money or in other words the best chance of extracting compensation from

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Bloody stupid idea.
    Not if you want to reduce the number of private cars.

Too many working class folks have them so price them out

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Bloody stupid idea.
    I doubt it will be compulsory in your lifetime TLC and with the number of idiots on the road and those paying more attention to their phones than driving I'd be happier with the car being in control in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Always expect the unexpected

The human brain copes with the unexpected very well, a machine with AI driving it will only match its programming.
    Interestingly, self driving cars aren't "programmed" in the traditional sense, they actually use something called machine learning. Much like humans "learn" to drive, machines do too. This doesn't create code that humans can read, it basically creates giant databases that humans cannot really understand, we can just observe the behavior.

It's what makes all these AI generators quite fascinating as we've created something that the top developers can't properly understand.

Self-driving cars are probably already much safer than the average human driver, but as a society, we will be very cautious to introduce them. As you point out it's the unexpected events that haven't had much training that will cause the most delay.

As we transition cars will be able to self drive or human-driven and as a result the insurance will be the responsibility of the car owner.

The idea of owning a car will probably quickly become old-fashioned, the future of car transport will be in uber-like service where the car rapidly shows up when you need it and the company handles the service and insurance.

It will be a long and slow transition, but undoubtedly, even if they are imperfect, self-driving cars will be far far safer than human drivers.

If you want to drive in the future, the car will probably intervene if you look like you're going to crash or violate the speed limit etc. Realistically we'll probably see a rise in recreational tracks that people can go and drive "like in the old days".

It will probably eventually be illegal for a human to drive without this protection, because one day a human driver will accidentally run over a child and the public outcry will argue that there is no reason for unnecessary deaths when we have the technology to prevent them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast